AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the first DVD release and I understand it has come out in a collectors edition after. This is in the top 5 ever great Science Fiction movies. The original "The Thing" has always been great but this remake by John Carpenter was not only his best but equals Alien in that 5 year time span. To this day The Thing and Alien(original) deserve top Five even today of The greatest Five ever. The Thing has this great collection of actors including Kurt Russell. The actors in this movie are legends in Hollywood . They have been in a hundred movies. I believe a Sci Fi movie should be judged for it's innovation with special effects , mesmerizing you , scarying you, But also GREAT acting and delivery- This has it all. It will go down as one of the greats. Why they never did a Part 2 is a mystery because Kurt Russell and the Black guy(I forget his name, but he deserved an Oscar) survive.

·
Registered
933 Posts
It is a shame that the release of the Thing (1982) wasn't anamorphic.

I wish they would redo it like they did Escape From New York.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. It will be eventually.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
I agree, I think this is one of the greats and as mentioned it is ashame that it isn't available in a better quality edition as far as PQ is concerned.

Art
Ditto!:)

Howie

·
Registered
50 Posts
i lurk more than post but i had to say i love this movie...it scared the mess out of me as a kid seeing it for the first time...one of the most tense movies i have ever seen...goes to show what real sfx instead of cgi can do...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't know if this would fall into my top 5 sci fi but I definitely enjoy watching it. It does have one of my all time favorite movie lines though. That scene where the disembodied head sprouts spider legs and begins to scurry about. The line from an incredulous observer goes something like, "You have got to be f...ing kidding me!":D

Let's see, if I had to list a top 5...hmmm....not in any order...

2001: A Space Odyssey

Starship Troopers

Blade Runner

Dune

The Matrix

And that probably isn't fair since I am just as fond of several other films as these. I would need a top 10 to be fair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"You have got to be f...ing kidding me!"

that line and "why don't you put her in charge" from Aliens are prob

the two best scifi lines of all time.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
It's amusing, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near my top five.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I dated myself on this one. I highly recommended this to a college gal who works for me, and she was thoroughly unimpressed. Kids today...if they don't have up close decapitations w/fancy fx they feel let down. Another vote for Top 5 on my list.

Brian

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Let's see, if I had to list a top 5...hmmm....not in any order...

2001: A Space Odyssey

Starship Troopers

Blade Runner

Dune

The Matrix
Which DUNE? David Lynch, or Sci-Fi Channel (extended edition, of course)?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Why they never did a Part 2 is a mystery because Kurt Russell and the Black guy(I forget his name, but he deserved an Oscar) survive.
One of very first laserdiscs I ever owned; I also agree this is one of Carpenter's best. The black actor's name is David Keith, I think; great character actor. I believe he was also in Carpenter's THEY LIVE.

BTW, which one did you think was the Thing at the end?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
Which DUNE? David Lynch, or Sci-Fi Channel (extended edition, of course)?
I was referring to the Lynch version. However, I wish we could get a better DVD version.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
Why they never did a Part 2 is a mystery because Kurt Russell and the Black guy(I forget his name, but he deserved an Oscar) survive.
My recollection of the ending of the film was that
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) in the process of killing the Thing, they destroyed their source of power/heat, with the implication being that Kurt Russell and whoever else was left froze to death after the movie ended. I.e., they killed the Thing to save the world, but knew that it was at the cost of their own lives.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
John Carpenters The Thing is a GREAT movie, love it. Even today the SFX hold up pretty well for what they need to do, and the soundtrack is outstanding, even though it is just one simple tune over and over I think it still is one of the best out there for ambiance.

I agree with Eweiss on the ending.

- Rick

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I agree with eweiss' assessment above. No sequel gonna happen based on that. He doesn't say it explicitly, but I also think neither of them were 'it'.

Hey, I've got an idea: how about a movie "Aliens vs. Predator vs. Thing". Who would win? How about if you throw in Mothra? ;)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I sent an email to Universal/MCA a few months ago suggesting that The Thing is loooong overdue for an anamorphic DVD release (though I'd kill for a D-Theater version).

They did send a reply saying there are no future releases planned for it.

--Jerome

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.