AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 260 Posts

·
Hello, World!
2,464 Posts
Thanks, Frantz. There are some more images in my gallery, including construction pics. As you can imagine it's incredibly hard to take decent pictures in a black room and the best that I have been able to take so far are included there.

Mark

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
well that huge stuff at Curt's thread is a cinema, not a home theater

time perhaps to have a special section: private cinemas

the concrete stadium and the size might not be so good for deep bass.

how wide deep and high is that "room" ?

·
Banned
163 Posts
I would have thought that in this list Oneobyn's system once all the upgrades are completed will be a force to be reckoned with.

Jl audio Gothams, C3X1080, 130 inch 2.35:1, Wilson audio alexandrias etc etc.

Just simply stunning, every item that I would put on a dream system setup is there...amazing!

·
Banned
8,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPADDY /forum/post/12576251

I would have thought that in this list Oneobyn's system once all the upgrades are completed will be a force to be reckoned with.

Jl audio Gothams, C3X1080, 130 inch 2.35:1, Wilson audio alexandrias etc etc.

Just simply stunning, every item that I would put on a dream system setup is there...amazing!

I appreciate your kind comments but bear in mind that my room is a combination of audio and video (finally upgraded) but not anywhere in the league of those previously mentioned. My Gotham subs apparently will ship this week and everything begins arriving in the next several weeks. Installation of everything occurs in the next 3 weeks.

FWIW I have the distinct opportinity to have auditioned Vladimir Lamm's new ML 3 Reference monoblock amps---serial numbers 1 and 2...belting out 32 watts of pure class A in SET. IMO this amp will be the one against all others will be judged. The bass is formidable so much so that if there is ever a way for me to be able to buy these amps, I would only use the Gotham subs in my HT setup. The ML 3 remains butt ugly as my ML 2.1 but I have never heard sound as magnificent as this. Enough said.

Happy Holidays to all

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant /forum/post/12589124

Speaking of Gotham, how about the Bat Cave?

To the bat cave, Robin! I have some uhhhh, *special* videos for you........

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk /forum/post/12509339

Over at Curt's there's a construction thread of an AVSForum member's HT, probably not finished enough yet for Overclkr, otherwise it would be a top contender. Hughes-JVC D-Cinema version of the 12K ILA. HPS4000 sound system, 103 seats. Theo Kalomirakis interior design.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...r=asc&&start=0

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...=asc&&start=78

That is a very impressive build-up! I'm very curious about the actual architectural plans, which do not seem to have been posted yet.

What puzzles me is the choice of Hughes-JVC ILA-12K Projector for this theater?

Cheers -

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Jeremy, the individual messages at Curt's are hard to link, so here's the quote:

achase

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

garyfritz wrote:

Tom.W wrote:

Just got a PM from Arnold . He is using a Hughes-JVC 12K ILA projector modified by Leo Bassett with a 28 foot screen !

Let's see, if we assume he's got the ultimate anamorphic lens so he can use the full 4:3 panel area, then he can use the full 12000 lumens. 28' wide would be 441'^2 for a 16:9 screen. 12000 lumens / 441'^2 = 27 ft Lamberts! Yowza. Even if he didn't use any kind of anamorph, and for 2.35:1 he only used 57% of the panel & thus 57% of the lumens, he'd still be throwing 0.57 * 12000 / 333'^2 = 20.5 ftL. Should be enough even for a 103 seat theater!

Hi Guys,

Your lumen calculations are based on the original 12K model and not the last of the special cinema units. The last units used special ILA panels that were native 16 x 9, had faster response times, superior colorimetry, and much higher contrast ratios. Also important to factor in your calculations is the use of the upcoming HQV line quintuplers. They will take the native 24p H-Def player outputs and convert it to 120P. In doing this the on-screen brightness is increased about 30% over the usual level. The autoranging ability is one of the main reasons I went with the older technology.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Design goal... REALLY FREAKIN AWESOME CINEMA THAT WILL BLOW ANYBODY OUT OF THE WATER EXCEPT MAYBE THE PANTAGES FAMILY!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk /forum/post/12660587

Seems you found the message, but still aren't clear on the design goal;-).

Several design points could be addressed to improve both picture and sound fidelity:

The projector has a native resolution of 2000x1280, which is a 1.67 aspect ratio screen, not 4:3. Therefore a different type of anamorphic lens specific to this projector would have to be used, and upping the frame rate five times is only necessary for an ILA projector - modern digital projectors, as you know, refresh anywhere from between 96 and 240 Hz, depending on technology, negating this type of scaling.

This projector was first used by Lucasfilm to demonstrate Star Wars: EP1 digitally for the first time in 1999. Considerable improvements have been made in projection technology that result in far great image fidelity with respect to film. Also, several different technologies might be featured to take advantage of each's strengths, allowing for DCI prints to be screened exactly or better than in the best commercial theaters in the world, and even in 3D!

With such an ambitious space being designed and built from the ground up for 103 seats, shouldn't the concrete frame work be larger, allowing for a room within a room construction that would offer vastly superior sound quality before requiring what I imagine will be a considerable amount of acoustic damping and diffusion to dial out the concrete shoebox shape?

Light output in the mid 20 foot-lamberts is very very acceptable, but could be even higher, allowing for the possibility of a sharper and more realistic image or for an increased contrast ratio in access of this models current capabiity, which I know Cineramax would deeply agree with.

I'm still hoping to see a floor plan of the entire installation. That would answer many other design and application questions I have.

I hasten to add that this 3 - CRT driven ILA projector requires almost constant recalibration to stay perfectly linear with respect to color temperature, grayscale, focus, and convergence!

Cheers -

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/12661468

The Biggus Dickus of all plasma is to be shown at ces.

Wow 150" diagonal.

Cute Photoshopping!

Wrong aspect ratio for the top plasma!!!

And what is the weight of this hulking mass?

Cheers -

Jeremy

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

81 - 100 of 260 Posts