AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I have been working with my dad for the past year or so on our theater/basement remodel. We are doing just about everything ourselves, and hopefully going to be able to create a nice warm space out of our basement. Our house is actually a ~1500sq trailer, but the best part is, it is nestled on a beautiful lake in NE PA. The home used to be our summer getaway, but we recently moved in full time from our house in the Washington DC area.

here is the beautiful view!

this is our plan for the entire basement. it will feature a small bathroom, large office, 25x20 theater, wetbar, fireplace, and a few storage/workrooms

the colors/design are still in the works for now, but this will give you an idea of the layout.

again this is the basement of a trailer, so we started out with a pretty bare open layout.

i will post our progress tonight. gotta run to dinner! we have the office 99% complete, and the theater/bathroom is in drywall/ rough in stage.

be back soon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well after moving from a 3400sq house into a 1200sq house, we found that this big empty space in the basement became cluttered QUICK! lots of moving and shifting around got us here.

we had to waterproof he foundation, using sunny dry powder. this stuff is basically really thin concrete that you can either brush or spray onto the wall. we did about 3/4 of the basement before realizing that harbor freight sells a sprayer for 30 bucks that works GREAT.

here is the beginning phase of the office

separating the workroom from the office

door to theater

decided to use a nice beadboard plywood

floor going down! great deal at Lumber Liquidators!

think i did pretty well on the trim! im only 22 and this is my first real construction project!

almost done! next is drop ceiling when we get a chance

wired up for satellite, internet, security cam, and phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
screen wall before drywall (furnace has been moved to other side, and the rest is storage)

entrance to storage room/ utilities. our panasonic 8x3 phone system and cable splitters are also in this nook. dimmers for insteon lighting system will be here as well. thats my dad in the pic! we were pretty happy to finish off this corner.

framing of bathroom and wetbar ( wetbar will be between bathroom and office)

me mocking up where the toilet will go! we had to buy a special uppump toilet since we are below the sewer. this unit cost 800 bucks, but the pump/grinder gets to sit inside the wall. the pump also accepts two more sinks, so the wetbar and vanity will be plumbed to it

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
OK, not having much experience in this area I have to ask: what kind of a trailer has a basement?

Beautiful view!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Based on the size of the basement, got to be a double-wide at least. I was thinking about that as well....got to be sweet to have a basement with a trailer. I don't recall ever seeing one at least. Nice view too.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
That looks like it's going to be a nice setup
And it's great to work on that together with your dad!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first off, we like to think of this as a "prefab" rather than a trailer
. legally speaking, its a trailer... the electrical meter is on a telephone pole, and the unit has a title. also the underside of the "trailer" has a metal subframe. its funny, because you can see mud that splattered from transport... you can even see the outline of tire tread! haha. ill have to get a pic of that.

honestly, its kind of funny that we are living in a "trailer". this is a big joke among our family. we still own and are renting out our 3400sq house just outside of Washington DC... so yes, this place is a definite downgrade, and a temporary spot for us. we will probably end up building on the lakefront lot right in front.

I would rather not say the actual lake, but i will tell you it is located outside of Scranton PA. My mom is recently retired from 30 years at the federal govt, and my dad owns two funeral homes in scranton. They wanted a spot to just chill out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/18138889

Based on the size of the basement, got to be a double-wide at least. I was thinking about that as well....got to be sweet to have a basement with a trailer. I don't recall ever seeing one at least. Nice view too.

yes, this is a double wide
haha, i feel so weird saying "we live in a doublewide.... hahaha. the dimensions are about 54x24. here is the full layout we plan to go with. it was pretty easy dealing with the Ibeams. the walls of the actual theater are butted right up to them. in the office, one is exposed, but we dont care.

the only other headroom issues are the sewer pipes and the 10 inch hvac duct that connects the house. we already had a plumber reroute the sewer lines, and we will be doing the HVAC ourselves.

we plan on having a black drop ceiling.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm digging the bead board you did. I'm going to use that stuff in my bathroom when I get around to finishing it. Looks nice! Oh, nice sooby.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wow the trim work is very percise! Looks great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, more progress was done on the trailer trash theater! this weekend i came home from school and got some some stuff done. we finished up the electrical in the bathroom and bar, and got most of the drywall hung. sorry for the crap iphone pics!

bar area

entrance to basement

corner of screen wall (on left) and entrance

screen wall

side wall (and lots of materials that need to be thrown out!)

notice the mud splatter on the undercarriage haha

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Nice progress! I saw you bought your laminate from Lumber Liquidators (assuming the Dream Home brand) and was wondering how easy it was tapping the boards together? I've read several negative reviews on this brand but the cost is hard to beat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/18189545

Nice progress! I saw you bought your laminate from Lumber Liquidators (assuming the Dream Home brand) and was wondering how easy it was tapping the boards together? I've read several negative reviews on this brand but the cost is hard to beat.

yes, i do believe we got the dream home brand.

i have never heard a bad review of the product. we wanted something cheap but nice looking, and this flooring is just that.

this flooring was actually much easier to snap together than a different brand that i used. the seams are also extremely tight, and have not moved with changing heat and humidity. i would definitely recommend this brand if you are looking into the lower end of laminate. i think it was 1.99/sq ft and that included the attached foam backing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, this week marks the one year point of our basement remodel/theater build!! this time last year i was craigslist-ing all of our junk that was consuming the basement.

busy week sofar! got lots of little bits done, such as running new rg6 throughout the house, adding a few circuits, and basically redoing all the halfassed work that was done when the house was put on the pad.

the plumber was here working on the bathroom and connecting the grinder/pumper toilet! he should be done tomorrow!

here is a shot of the toilet pump. the mini bar and bathroom vanity feed into this, and grind/pump the waste vertically to the sewer output.

got some roxul and some sheetrock up in the bathroom too. waiting for this plumber to be done so i can finish! i also sealed all the seams with acoustical caulk. we dont want to hear bathroom noises while watching movies.

got the cabinetry for the mini bar. still have to level and mount them. we also have overhead cabinets and a wine rack going in. we also got the beverage cooler, which looks GREAT but is a terrible refrigerator. kinda bummed out. it wavers between 39-52 degrees..

tidied up the phone and satellite system a bit. still needs some work.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Very interesting for sure. Here in Indiana us sophisticated folk call trailers "manufactured homes" helps keep things politically correct ya know. I'm just sayin' Oh and this is not my first time seeing a manufactured home on a basement.....they're a rare breed but not unheard of.

Great progress so far, keep it up and as others have said very nice view and surroundings. Looks like a great place to just sit back and relax.

Reagds,

RTROSE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello AVS'ers!!!!! Holy cow, its been quite a long time since the last post!!!!

I want to let you all know, LOTS AND LOTS of progress has been made on the 'trailer trash theater'. We are just about ready for carpet.

Heres some pics taken a few months ago. we have recently pinted the winscoting and have done more finishing touches.

http://s261.photobucket.com/user/jdubya301/media/IMG_2587.jpg.html

http://s261.photobucket.com/user/jdubya301/media/IMG_2589.jpg.html

http://s261.photobucket.com/user/jd...7-D1008B65C0E1-2828-000003551EBD434C.jpg.html

More pics coming soon!!! I will also include various pictures in chronological order of the entire build!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.