AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I literally completed making and uploading these screenshots around a year and a half ago but never managed to actually post them. Perhaps it's for the best since no one liked the crappy website I used to put them on.

2000 - Canada - Seville (1.33:1)

2005 - UK - Metrodome "Reconstructed" (~1.40:1 full negative pillarboxed to 1.78:1)

2006 - USA - Sony "20th Anniversary SE" - Disc 2 (1.33:1)

2006 - USA - Sony "20th Anniversary SE" - Disc 1 (1.78:1 crop)

2007 - UK - Metrodome Blu-ray (1.78:1 crop)
See here for a comparison of the 2001 USA Rhino DVD with "Reconstructed"
See here for a comparison of the various DVDs including the 2007 release

All of these releases are the US uncut version of the film without the added scrolling text or narration added for international theatrical runs, and with the swearing.

The "Reconstructed" release went through a standards conversion from NTSC to PAL leaving it at 576i50. The original frames can't be recovered so I just left it interlaced. Primarily they're included to show where the cropping of all other releases was done.

When Metrodome did the 5.1 remixing for "Reconstructed" they carried their changes over to the 2.0 Stereo track on that release. Unfortunately the same track is used on their Blu-ray.

Sony DVD stereo audio (matches Seville)

-vs-
Metrodome Blu-ray stereo audio

The Australian Blu-ray uses the same MPEG-2 video encode as the UK Blu-ray but with some different audio tracks (probably the same mixes) and added PAL extras.

Specs for UK Blu-ray here / Specs for AU Blu-ray here

I've put up the Seville pics as a separate mouseover since this thread is already gigantic enough, plus that DVD is very obviously sourced from an analog tape master that was intended for VHS replication.

Full comparison of the other 3 DVDs vs the Blu-ray is behind the Spoiler tags, and I've done a mouseover listing for the two widescreen discs: Mouseover link for the Sony 1.78:1 DVD vs the Metrodome 1.78:1 Blu-ray

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
904 Posts
It looks quite good considering its age, but I do wish the BD (and, yeah, the last R1 DVD by extension) reflected the entire original negative rather than being cropped on some level. Figures.

EDIT: an addendum...if this is, I'm assuming, using the previous Metronome release as a base--does that mean the sound effects are changed on the BD as on their previous DVD?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I've had this release for a while now, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I own the BRD and like the added resolution but I think the colors are off in places. I don't remember Hot Rod being pink. I've also got the Sony 2-disc SE DVD and it might be more correct color wise.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. /forum/post/16958885

EDIT: an addendum...if this is, I'm assuming, using the previous Metronome release as a base--does that mean the sound effects are changed on the BD as on their previous DVD?

Whoops, it seems I forgot to actually upload the MP3 examples. The links work now.

In the part that I compared, the BD is a match for Metrodome's "Reconstructed" DVD, with Optimus Prime's laser gun buried in the mix. Not sure if the effect was actually replaced or just killed in volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ /forum/post/16960125

I own the BRD and like the added resolution but I think the colors are off in places. I don't remember Hot Rod being pink. I've also got the Sony 2-disc SE DVD and it might be more correct color wise.

He's more pink on the Sony 16:9 but less on their 4:3. None of them seem to be able to make up their mind how the colors of this movie should look.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks for the audio, msgohan. It does sound like Optimus's weapon noises just got lost in the mixing, but not replaced (I think).

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wish I had a copy of the theatrical 35mm print and a telecine to make my own properly color timed HD version.

I'm not satisfied with any of these. All I have is the original double-dip that included swearing.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ /forum/post/16960125

I own the BRD and like the added resolution but I think the colors are off in places. I don't remember Hot Rod being pink.

I do. There was a screening of the original film at BotCon 2000, and another at 2001. He's also pink (more like magenta) on the original cels.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Even though I have the 2-disc 20th Ann DVD, I'd like to pick up the import BD. I haven't yet though because I'm hoping for a complete 2-disc Blu-ray edition to come out here in the states.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 /forum/post/16964751

I do. There was a screening of the original film at BotCon 2000, and another at 2001. He's also pink (more like magenta) on the original cels.

Is it possible that the colors of the reel/film negatives fade in a certain way? If you compare the colors with the 4x3 version, everything on the Blu-ray leans toward green. This actually keeps me from enjoying the film in high def.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnguyen /forum/post/16965551

Is it possible that the colors of the reel/film negatives fade in a certain way?

Not unless the cels fade in the exact same way, and that the prototype toy of Hot Rod was photographed as being magenta for no reason.

Quote:
If you compare the colors with the 4x3 version, everything on the Blu-ray leans toward green. This actually keeps me from enjoying the film in high def.

Glad I'm not you, then. I have the opposite problem with the 4x3 version. Reds look too orange, especially Optimus Prime.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 /forum/post/16965355

Even though I have the 2-disc 20th Ann DVD, I'd like to pick up the import BD. I haven't yet though because I'm hoping for a complete 2-disc Blu-ray edition to come out here in the states.

Read my mind exactly. I hope Sony releases this when Transforms 2 is released.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts