AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Transfer Great Sound. This reminded me of Fast and the Furious where the full sound of music is used. This had a very spacious sound field. LFE really gets the full workout during the 92 minutes runtime. Video was almost EE free. Nothing distracting that caught my eye.

There was a little too much cheese in the acting, script, etc, to yield a purchase, but still enjoyed it for a rental.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachelor
Good Transfer Great Sound. Video was almost EE free. Nothing distracting that caught my eye.

Not on my system. There were many distracting halos and the whole image was often shimmery from EE. The PQ didn't have the smooth, film-like look of a transfer like Ghost Ship or Training Day. The sound was fine but I give the picture 3 out of 5.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I actually ordered the D-Theater. I need to have my head examined (I still don't have my 30K replacement from JVC). :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bachelor,

Can you elaborate on the sound? How were the gun shot firing sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
The soundtrack was a bit odd. Not as intense as City of Lost Souls, my new reference for violent film soundtracks. Not even in the same league as Bourne Identity.

Transporter is good for explosions and martial arts hits. Statham gives and he receives. Now that we see how good he is, Steven Seagal should retire. In a slick situation, like the bus depot scene, Seagal would have fallen on his face. Jason is standing up, kicking the crap out of this gang of men.

Stanley Clarke did the score for the movie. He was a player in Chick Corea's band, but it is hard even noticing where his compositions fit in. The rap portions snuff out anything jazzy.

Qi Shu does not click in the movie. She has a great body (her nude photos are all over the internet), but little of her charisma shows up on screen. Her screams sound like Julia Robert's yelps. No sense of timing or dynamism. Shu is more interesting in Gorgeous (the Jackie Chan movie), but even better in Street Angels. Her body rivals that of Ginger Lynn. Show me more, please.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just got done watching this one with a couple of co-workers on my setup.

I must say it is a cool action movie that has it all if you like your explosions, gunfire both hand and machine guns , rocket propel launchers, car chases,

and lots of fightin'. Jason probably had a page of script but he sure can do the martial art thingy.

I can't explain it, but the soundtrack, although pretty good, didn't deliver like was expecting. It was recorded a little different than I'm used to hearing action films sound like.

Post your thoughts on the sound on this one after you've seen it and give me your .02 cents.

Later!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have to agree on the sound.Actually I was disapointed in this movie=I was hoping for another Leon,I guess.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I just rented this one... Kick ass movie! Returned the rental and went and bought a copy.

Truely impressed by Jason Stratham's abilities!

- Rick

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know why this movie got so panned from half the critics out there, highly enjoyable flick, set out to do what it was supposed to: entertain.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Not on my system. There were many distracting halos and the whole image was often shimmery from EE. The PQ didn't have the smooth, film-like look of a transfer like Ghost Ship or Training Day. The sound was fine but I give the picture 3 out of 5.
My thoughts exactly. The amount of EE I saw was quite distracting at time actually.

Kal

·
Registered
472 Posts
---------I ordered it on DVHS. Interesting to see if the PQ is better with no EE, shimmering and/or halos. I'll let you know. :confused:

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The D-Theater has EE, but it is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Quote:
I actually ordered the D-Theater. I need to have my head examined (I still don't have my 30K replacement from JVC).
I just did the same thing :)

I hope to get my 30K back this week.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I just watched this one last night.

As for PQ, I thought it was generally good, but there was noticable EE in some scenes. It was "wierd" EE though. The halos were far away from the actual image edge that created them and they were very thin. I have never seen EE like that before.

The action was excellent. Great fight choreography. Fantastic chase scenes. Only a couple of scenes where I had to say "no way!".

The story and the leading lady, unfortunately, kept this movie from landing on my purchase list.

At least now I'll definitely keep an eye out for future projects from Statham.

Cary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.