AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in the May issue of WIDESCREEN REVIEW that the Trainspotter is available in D-Theater.

I thought I had ordered a "rental" of the TRANSPORTER dvd from Netflix so I went to the site to check. Netflix had shipped the dvd today. While at the Netflix site, I decided to read the critics' reviews of this movie. I though I might cancel the rental and purchase the tape

Out of the more than 6 reviews none were favorable; some were downright nasty.

I don't understand. Here is a recent dvd release available on HD Tape that I considered for purchase so as to enjoy the "first viewing" in HD. All my other D-Theater tapes are of films I had already seen.

If you believe the professional reviewers this movie is crap.

I want to support D-Theater, but I will be damned if I will spend over twenty-five bucks for a film of this ilk.

Somebody in the industry has to wake up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you just follow "professional" reviewers you may miss some great movies. The "industry" is awake and caters to the general buying public. In many cases this is 15 year olds who buy a lot of $9 movie tickets every weekend.

For many of the internet reviewers, I tend to rely more on their technical opinion as far as DVD transfer and audio and take lightly opinions of the script, acting and other items. The reviews I have read about this film are expected for a hip semi-martial arts flick, however the visual and audio seem top notch and it may make a great HD demo reel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ksoza
The reviews I have read about this film are expected for a hip semi-martial arts flick, however the visual and audio seem top notch and it may make a great HD demo reel.
...Not to mention the leading lady, Qi Shu (Shu Qi, AKA "Hsu Chi" -- surf the Internet, you know who I'm talkin 'bout). Hubba hubba!!!

-T

·
Registered
21,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drvais
Doesn't this belong in the Digital Software area?
Apparently the thread was "TRANSPORTED" over here by accident!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
based solely on story, acting, plot, and realism (even for an action movie), this was one of the worst movies that i have ever seen. i saw it on a plane, so obviously i was not impacted by the a/v quality one way or the other. it was just a painful movie to watch. there were so many times where i just started laughing out loud at ridiculous plot turns, horrid acting, or just total nonsensical events.

there might be some rewards in the audio or video quality of a particular transfer (i dont know since the view on the 5 inch screen was terrible), but i am damn glad i didnt waste the money to see this in the theater or even rent it. not even sure if it worth the time that it takes out of your netflix rotation.

k

ps - yes the leading lady was hot, but still painful to watch.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
i enjoyed the movie..i like action films..

if you expect to own every oscar winning movie ever made then you might want to pass on this one

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The point of my starting this thread is not to debate this movies actual merits (or lack thereof), but rather to bemoan the fact that when we finally get a concurrent D-Theater and DVD releases it is a movie of questionable quality that will soon be forgotten.

Is anybody here actually going to shell out the big bucks to purchase a D-Theater copy of this thing?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Me. It was great fun. Stupid. But fun.

FOX is blowing it by not doing SOLARIS D-Theater day & date. The film was underrated and the visuals were exceptional.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'd get it. I wanted to see it in the theater, but missed it. So it'd really about be a wash by the time a guy figures in gas, tickets, popcorn...of course I don't have a D-VHS player...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Well, they are still releasing the best transfers they have. If you have seen the HD version of Real Genius, you would come to the understanding that a lot of HD transfers don't look much better than a scaled DVD. I faced that with a lot of my early Laserdiscs that were merely VHS on a disc. You would have the same feeling if the D-Theater version didn't look much better than the DVD.

Killer programs would be Gladiator and Star Wars, but we are not likely to see them soon, if at all, on D-Theater. I just want Lord of the Rings Extended in HD.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
it was just a painful movie to watch. there were so many times where i just started laughing out loud at ridiculous plot turns, horrid acting, or just total nonsensical events.
After reading the first couple posts in this thread yesterday I happened to notice a short review of the movie in one of our local papers last night. They said it was so bad that it almost became entertaining just for that aspect. The review ended by saying that if you went in knowing it was going to be this way and expecting it, it could hold some value... or you should just go in stoned....

You can tell this wasn't from our big daily paper here ;)

ron

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo

The point of my starting this thread is not to debate this movies actual merits (or lack thereof), but rather to bemoan the fact that when we finally get a concurrent D-Theater and DVD releases it is a movie of questionable quality that will soon be forgotten.

This seems to me an indication that this format, as most of us already know, is not going to be here very long due to some sort of HD-DVD pre-precorded format...even if 3 or more years away. I'm not bashing D-Theater though I strongly feel that ANY of the tape based formats are going to be dead soon.

Rent the movie (like you already have done) and if you like it, buy the D-Theater format of it, if not, don't.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman
This seems to me an indication that this format, as most of us already know, is not going to be here very long due to some sort of HD-DVD pre-precorded format...even if 3 or more years away. I'm not bashing D-Theater though I strongly feel that ANY of the tape based formats are going to be dead soon.

Rent the movie (like you already have done) and if you like it, buy the D-Theater format of it, if not, don't.
Let's see: release The Transporter and sell 10,000 copies or Gladiator and sell 100,000 copies. Hmm, what studio would say, I will sell 10,000 copies of a less popular movie because I don't think that the format will survive?

Why sell less when you can sell more of a better copy? Certainly not because there is a questionable future in the format?

If it were evidence that only the junk is being released, then what was Ice Age? While not winning Oscars, it was a big budget release, as was u-571, Terminator 2 and a lot of other titles. In fact, there is a wide array of film types being represented with many good titles. Focus on the ones you don't like and that is what you will see. I am not buying Big Momma's House, but I am buying titles I do like, such as Cast Away and ID4.

VHS will still be around for a bit longer. I think you should realize that audio cassette tapes are still being made, although not in great quantities. VHS will be around for a good longth of time and as such, I wouldn't be quick to push for D-Theater to disappear. I would much rather see analog VHS disappear first.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

Let's see: release The Transporter and sell 10,000 copies or Gladiator and sell 100,000 copies. Hmm, what studio would say, I will sell 10,000 copies of a less popular movie because I don't think that the format will survive?

All of them once a pre-recorded HD-DVD format arrives and takes over. Also, a less popular movie may cost less to put onto that format since there may not be as many people buying it.

Certainly not because there is a questionable future in the format?

Once the laserdisc format became more wide spread before it died, (because of DVD) it was shortly before then that I start to notice more junkie titles on that format.

VHS will still be around for a bit longer.

Longer but not dominate. It was either rentals or sales of that VHS format that was finally outpaced by DVD and soon, sometime late this year or next, DVD will out-pace VHS in both ways.

Have you seen the collection of VHS titles for sale at Best Buy lately?

I think you should realize that audio cassette tapes are still being made, although not in great quantities.

Yep, noticed for some years that most if not all of the CD stores I visit have no or very little audio cassettes except for blank ones.

VHS will be around for a good length of time and as such, I wouldn't be quick to push for D-Theater to disappear. I would much rather see analog VHS disappear first.

I would push for a quick death of D-Theater and any other tape based format (for consumers). I think that D-Theater fills in a much needed use right now, however I don't see that lasting too long since there are too many people who realize the benefits of disc based software.

Oh, and I think that D-Theater will die before regular VHS.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Long, long, before regular VHS. D-Theatre hit the market DOA.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Newbie
Long, long, before regular VHS. D-Theatre hit the market DOA.
I think it is more like the JVC 30K hit the market DOA and took D-Theatre with it.....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My contention is that there never was the possibility of a consumer HD tape market, for any product, at any price.

My primary need is for an HD PVR and later, a way to archive things to HD-DVD. I don't want a new tape collection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.