AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this in from DVDempire.com and I must say, it’s another example of 1080i being where it’s at. This anamorphic Panavision film looks terrific during the scenes I viewed and there is just no way any DVD can compare to this. No artifacting of any kind to distract. Just some slight EE that is minimal compared to most FOX DVD efforts. It’s barely noticeable and I must admit, I was looking for it.

WSR gave the picture a 4.5 rating and I agree, from what I have seen so far. Better than T2 & Peacemaker (the low end of detail with D-Theater), better than ID4 & Backdraft (the mid level). Not as good as U-571 or X-Men (the highest end of 1080i there is).

I’ll watch the entire film this weekend. Having seen it in a theater, I know what to expect. ;)

DIE HARD was also delivered, but I want to be able to view it with unweary eyes in a completely blackened room.

I’m hoping FOX releases the underrated SOLARIS on D-Theater, since the visuals and photography on that one are of the highest level. It’s a slow, but meaningful film. Much better than the unbearably slow original, which took 90 minutes just to get going.

By the way, I will say it again… D-Theater supporters Fox and MCA are sitting on some classic films shot on 65/70mm or Vistavision film stock that are perfect for D-Theater and they should release these titles, most of which look like crap on DVD, due to excessive Edge Enhancement (PATTON), over compression (SPARTACUS) or non-anamorphic transfers (VERTIGO). MCA should release FAR & AWAY, a recent 70mm production, which would likely look stunning. The DVD is garbage.

70mm is the ultimate film experience and the inherent resolution in the format can provide, potentially, the highest quality film based High Definition viewing there is. So far I have to se any 70mm film shown in High Definition, from a 70mm source. The SOUND OF MUSIC aired recently, but was from a 35mm source and cropped to 1.78:1,

On another subject, the JVC 30K I have is the so called “Final Update†unit, with all the tweaks JVC claims will kill the problems we have been seeing. So far the unit has performed flawlessly, but after just 2+ hours of use, I am at least 100 hours away from being able to say yes or no to this fix.

·
Registered
471 Posts
---------------Thanks for the excellent report Matt. Keep the good news coming!!!

--------------- I hope your back is still OK since your move!

Regards, Tom B.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My back sucks. :) I have a bad back, so moving made it worse.

Still have not hada chance to sit down and view the entire film. Just too much to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.