AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the second season so I'm posting this but I won't complain if the mods roll it into a thread I missed (not that complaining would help
).

I'm early into my viewing but I wanted to check a few specific things that may be of interest.

First things first, I wanted to check out one episode on each disc to make sure that each disc loads without incident. To that end, I've just finished watching the first episode on discs one through four. Using my old PS3, each disc loaded quickly and without incident or hesitation.

The menus are almost identical to the menus on the first season. The one thing that caught my eye is an option to use the remastered or the original audio on each episode I viewed. I don't recall that from season one (maybe I wasn't paying attention). Otherwise, everything about the second season may be seen as a direct continuation of the first season...packaging, menus, navigation, presentation...all the same.

I watched one of the videotaped episodes: THE LATENESS OF THE HOUR. It looked excellent but I have to qualify that as "excellent for videotape". Obviously, it's not as detailed as a film transfer and it did have a few electronic video anomalies but it was perfectly tolerable. There are only a few of these episodes so don't worry about it.

The other episodes viewed were: KING NINE WILL NOT RETURN, THE INVADERS and A HUNDRED YARDS OVER THE RIM. I especially enjoyed character actor John Crawford in that last episode...a fitting farewell as Mr. Crawford died very recently (only about two weeks ago, I think).

There is little to be said about the audio/video quality of the filmed episodes that wasn't said in the thread about Season One. They look wonderful and all previous superlatives still apply.

I've only seen the four episodes as of this writing but, so far, this release is batting a thousand. Everything has loaded and played glitch free and A/V quality is top notch.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thanks for the review Dex.

I'm 61, so I grew up with Twilight Zone.

I haven't bought season one yet, but both will be mine this week.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm thinking of blind buying season 1 and 2 after watching an episode, my first ever, broadcast on tv the other day. I really really enjoyed it. Safe blind buy guy's?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan /forum/post/19505295

I'm thinking of blind buying season 1 and 2 after watching an episode, my first ever, broadcast on tv the other day. I really really enjoyed it. Safe blind buy guy's?

Thanks,

Tom

Yes. Absolutely. I'm 22 and this is still one of my favorite shows ever.

And Image couldn't have done a better job with the technical quality.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan /forum/post/19505295

Safe blind buy guy's?

Tom

Probably the safest blind buy possible.

I do appreciate that The Twilight Zone may not be everybody's cup of tea. However, even for those who can't really get into it, the show has much to offer.

One thing that really appeals to me is that The Twilight Zone is a video resume for virtually every great character actor that built and sustained the entertainment industry for 50 years. In the first two seasons alone, you will see people like movie greats Ida Lupino (one of the most important women in the history of film), Burgess Meredith, Martin Balsam, Ed Wynn, Gig Young, Dean Jagger, Cliff Robertson and more. That's a whole lot of Oscars!

I especially enjoy seeing all of those working, journeymen actors who weren't big movie stars but who were always there when you needed somebody who could deliver the goods: Jack Klugman, Ross Martin, Albert Salmi, Claude Akins, Simon Oakland, Dan Duryea and the like.

And all those guys who you always saw but didn't know their names? You'll be reintroduced to folks like John Larch, George Grizzard, Fred Clark...seriously too many names to mention.

There is simply NO other way to see so many performances from so many IMPORTANT actors. Some of these people started in silent film and some are still active today. The Twilight Zone is the single most important historical record of great actors that exists on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

The best of the Twilight Zones can stand up to the best fantasy/sci-fi films, and season 1 & 2 contain most of the best of the series.

That said, one had best beware the last few seasons, particularly season 4 and 5. Season 4 were the hour shows, and they suffer in the way Caprica and The Sarah Connor Chronicles did: insufficient story to fill the hour slot, and in general, lackluster plotting. Season 5 had only a handful of decent shows.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
what are the best seasons (in your opinion)?

Simple: from best to worst: 1,2,3,4,5. I would venture 2 is probably 75% of the quality of season 1, 3 maybe 40% the quality of 1, 4 25% the quality of 1 (at best), and 5 less than 10% of season 1.

Added- a must read:

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-...0101572&sr=1-1

This was included with the original issue of the Season One DVD set.

I suppose if you are a completist (sp?) you will feel you need to have every season.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/19508249

I was just going to ask this to anyone in the thread: what are the best seasons (in your opinion)?

Reviews vary. Most agree that seasons 1-3 are the best, but opinions differ on which of those 3 are the best. Opinions might vary depending on what type of episode one prefers, sci-fi vs drama vs just plain spooky.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/19508249

I was just going to ask this to anyone in the thread: what are the best seasons (in your opinion)?

I came to The Twilight Zone originally through the first DVD release. That intial release was a collection of random episodes in volumes rather than complete seasons. As such, I never developed a feel for good or bad seasons.

As I look through episode lists now, I find my self as the odd man out as I see a lot of my favourites in the fifth season. In Praise of Pip, Nightmare at 20,000 feet, Uncle Simon, The Long Morrow to name a few.

Season four has Death Ship which is my all time favourite TZ episode.

Picking a season is not a decision I would want to make.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I would agree with Dex Robinson on "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" as a classic from season 5, and "Death Ship" from season 4 is to me the finest episode from its year, as good as almost any other Zone.

I just feel obliged to get on my soapbox and warn the uninitiated that you may be in for an unpleasant surprise if you blind buy the later seasons. Everyone involved with the show- Serling included- agreed that by the end they were running out of steam.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I have Season 1, but was on the fence about buying Season 2. Decided to go ahead and just ordered Season 2 from Amazon with overnight shipping.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Some of the best from the series is in the second season. If you liked the first you are home free.

·
Registered
14,974 Posts
Good to hear everyone's feedback on the best seasons/episodes.

I just finished watched Season 1. While I enjoyed some of the episodes, some of them didn't do much for me. I didn't see as many of the ones I enjoyed while watching some of the Sci-fi channel marathons, so I was just wondering what people thought of the other seasons. It sounds like the ones I liked (which I don't even know the titles) are just going to be scattered amongst seasons 2-5. More to look forward to though!

·
Registered
14,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD
I will get this, but I won't pay $81 like I did for season 1. I am thinking when B&N runs a 50% off sale.
Yeah, that's high. I got my Season 1 from DVD Planet for around $58 if I recall.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir
While I enjoyed some of the episodes, some of them didn't do much for me.
Yeah...the truth is that some of them are snoozers. As much as fans hate to say it, they can't all be gems and many of them aren't.

Fortunately, there are a few real saving graces. For one thing, an episode lasts about 25 minutes (with the limited exception of some hour episodes). By the time you realize you're watching a dud, you probably only have to endure another 10 or 15 minutes. That's a whole lot better than buying a crappy movie and realizing it's still going to be crappy for another hour and a half
. And. of course, you're getting an average of 30 or so episodes per season so chances are that a real good episode is going to be just around the corner.

Also, as I previously alluded to, you get to see a lot of people that you wouldn't otherwise see...even if they aren't given the best of material.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/19514115

I agree that there are great episodes throughout the years IMO not just seasons one and two.

Incredible how much the Forbidden Planet hardware was used in so many episodes. You see the ship in several ,screens, navigation gear, uniforms, dials, even the car.

Art

Yep, they didn't try to disguise it at all

1 - 20 of 24 Posts