AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this story of a user named "esoxlee" who owns a 61" samsung DLP that he bought from Best Buy with a 5 Year PSP warranty. Well, he has documented everything and even has video and pictures to backup his story, its a very good read, let me know what you think.

Thread/Story
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=393838

Pics/Video
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/mech_eng9t7/

Flash Video (of tv set once he got it back from bestbuy)
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=WTF_DLP.flv

The thread is about 7 pages long and he is still trying to find a solution. I fell sorry for the guy.

I have had my share of problems with Best Buy on there PSP on computer equipment.

What do you guys think, have you had problems with Best Buy Warranty Service on repairs of your TV?

·
Registered
745 Posts
wow im really surprised i had my toshiba crt looked at by a b.b. repair person and they got him out to my house within 2 days. he looked over my tv and determined i needed a new tube and had it fixed within a few weeks. i gotta admit i didnt read or watch the video but if somone was willing to post another persons experience then i can only imagine how bad it has been.

i wish him good luck as im dealing with a broken sxrd now myself so i know the feeling all to well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr1 /forum/post/0

wow im really surprised i had my toshiba crt looked at by a b.b. repair person and they got him out to my house within 2 days. he looked over my tv and determined i needed a new tube and had it fixed within a few weeks. i gotta admit i didnt read or watch the video but if somone was willing to post another persons experience then i can only imagine how bad it has been.

i wish him good luck as im dealing with a broken sxrd now myself so i know the feeling all to well.

Can you tell us what happen to your sxrd?

Also if someone has a story it would be great if you posted your experience.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnick1976 /forum/post/0

I have the BB extended warranty. When I called about "smudges" I saw on the screen (HLS7178), they had someone dispatched to my house within 48 hours. I was very impressed.

They're good about sending people to the house. That's not the problem esoxlee or most people have with them. It's when they can't fix the TV for some reason (incompetent techs, parts availability, problem is resistant to fixing/TV's a lemon) that you run into a brick wall with the idiots at 888-BEST-BUY. They're very, very, very patient when it's your TV that's sitting there not working for months.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegod2x /forum/post/0

I found this story of a user named "esoxlee" who owns a 61" samsung DLP that he bought from Best Buy with a 5 Year PSP warranty.

If I'm not mistaken, we have already read esoxlee's story. I think he is the guy who lives in a fairly remote area at the end of a long dirt road.

The further you get from large population areas the more likely you will have trouble with any repair service for any product.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

If I'm not mistaken, we have already read esoxlee's story. I think he is the guy who lives in a fairly remote area at the end of a long dirt road.

The further you get from large population areas the more likely you will have trouble with any repair service for any product.

This should not be his fault. He should have the same priority as anybody else. It is BB's fault for not notifying the buyers that it might take more time to get an issue fixed because they live out in the sticks. It really is too bad. And unfortunately, these little stories here and there never make a difference.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 /forum/post/0

This should not be his fault. He should have the same priority as anybody else. It is BB's fault for not notifying the buyers that it might take more time to get an issue fixed because they live out in the sticks. It really is too bad. And unfortunately, these little stories here and there never make a difference.

I agree but big systems like BB aren't designed to deal with exceptions.

If I had counted service horror stories from September 2002 to the present, I expect that I would have found that service horror stories were much more common in low population areas than in metropolitan areas.

That may be one way big retail organizations keep the cost down.

Think of the guy who lives at Four Corners in the South West. He is a two hour drive from the nearest service facility. There is no way to equalize his service experience.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

I agree but big systems like BB aren't designed to deal with exceptions.

The exception was that the techs who BB hired trashed esoxlee's TV. And you're right, they aren't equipped to deal with any scenario other than tech fixed TV.

I can't see how the run around they gave him for two months is any way related to his location. I'm sure he would've been happy to bring the TV to them at their store for an exchange. They didn't want it. They wanted him to continue dealing with the morons who ruined his TV.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As soon as they knew there service people damaged the tv they should have apoligized and got him a new one. Instead, they rather have him put this stuff on the internet and spread the bad press. I have seen his story everywhere, even on digg.com.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
I agree with both of you about what BB should have done. I was trying to explain why they didn't. BB is just too big to really care about one customer's problem.

I doubt that there are any BB provided incentives for their managers to go out of their way for an individual. If your local manager is smarter than the company he or she works for then you will get better service. If not -- good luck, because you will need it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll start off by saying I work for BBY. I am not defending their actons clearly the way it was handled was far from putting the customer in their best interest. I just want to clear a few things up and shed some light on why the stores act the way they do sometimes.

First, the warranties are all paid out by BBY they are not covered by an insurance company. The policies are underwritten by an insurance company either AIG or New Hampshire insurance group depending on the state you live in. So every repair that gets done on your unit outside of the MFG warranty is paid for by Best Buy. So the "the plans are 80% margin" phrase you see everywhere is not acurate. You buy a replacement plan on your xbox 360 for $40 and it breaks it costs best buy $400 to give you a new one. If your TV breaks and your $350 service plan covers 3 repairs then a replacement on need of the 4th assuming the average repair is $400 on a tv thats $1200 plus the amount of money you paid for the TV Best Buy has to shell out. Sure you have a lot of people who buy the plans and don't make a claim but you also have people that make claims on their products. Since bby has taken over the claims for the repairs we are also doing repairs with BBY employed technicians. We used 3rd parties as a requirement of the insurance company that used to pay on claims which lead to companies that don't give a damn what happens because even if they have to come back out to fix THEIR screw up they get paid again. In-house home theater repairs should roll out soon. Computer repairs were brought in house last September and you see a lot of issues with customer disappoints going away. Sure we aren't perfect and when you have 100,000+ employees mistakes happen.

If the store makes the decision to give you a new tv, repair it etc. regardless of the situation it affects the individual stores bottom line. They generally will blow you off and refer you to the customer service line because if they make the decision it doesn't hurt the store. If this the best choice? no but if it comes down to them making a customer happy vs losing their job it's not a difficult decision to make.

If you have a problem unless its pretty insignifcant don't even bother going into the store you will be wasting your time. Also your third option if you aren't getting what you want done instead of giving up and just letting your broken product waste away in the corner with a service plan get a refund on your service plan. It's prorated based on how much time is left but getting some money back is better than nothing.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhlman /forum/post/0

If the store makes the decision to give you a new tv, repair it etc. regardless of the situation it affects the individual stores bottom line. They generally will blow you off and refer you to the customer service line because if they make the decision it doesn't hurt the store.

I suspected this when I went through my ordeal with them, just based on the remarkable change in attitude at the store once I had that magic authorization # from 888-BEST-BUY. It's a crap policy, but at least I know for sure that all Best Buys are uniformly bad, so I have no need to shop at any of them thinking I'll ever experience anything different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.