AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2471 of 2471 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
no dlp doesnt degrade. i mean something slow in the electronics but still i think more there is a problem with the unit.

i mean by it says it all, that it the worlds first 3d active led video interoiour system, that its the first of it´s kind.
In every tech there is always compromises. im just saying maby they sacrificed something to gain something. allthough it was a 20k projector back in the day,
my hc5 also is exact copy of a mitsubishi hc9000d and that also was a 9000 euro projector back in it´s release and it´s good but there is 6000 margin on that.
You're saying you think they compromised the 2D picture to make it have 3D capability? I guess it's possible but I doubt it.

Sim2 made the Mico 50 before they developed the M-150, and the Mico 50 isn't 3D. With the M-150 I think they just used higher bins of the exact same LEDs, and possibly upgraded to liquid cooling to run them harder to get a little more brightness, and they upgraded the processing to be able to do frame interpolation for 2D, and 120hz for 3D. But you turn the frame interpolation off for 2D, and it should be the same as the Mico 50 in most respects, just a little brighter, and without the dynamic iris. The big change is they changed the dynamic black feature from a combo of dynamic iris and electronic processing I think in the Mico 50, to just electronic in the M-150.

Anyway, I highly, highly doubt they compromised the 2D for the 3D. They already had the same 3D processing on their flagship bulb projector, so I think they just added it to their DLP - LED projectors at this point, but it's still a premium 2D projector at its heart. In fact the 3D glasses and emitter didnt even come included in the projector new. You had to pay anothre $1,000 to get that stuff extra. My unit was supposed to come with that stuff but the seller forgot about it and now can't find it, etc etc etc.... even though it was in the listing.

So I don't really know how to deal with that situation. He says he will look again when he has time, and find it eventually, but it's been like a month and a half.

·
Registered
356 Posts
ITs kind of fynnu that most projectors even to date under 5k can´t do P3 gamut at 100% and my projectors did it already back in 2012

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mitsubishi hc5.
They use Sony sxrd panels.
sxrd is exelent tech. Only downside there is still to date sometimes panel degritation to be seen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i just learned harkness has now giving acces to regular customers buy the realD material PWT.
I tried similar material from MDI -strong and it was pretty good but it was back then unaccessible. It´s somewhere there with the stewart 5d if i remember correctly.
Im going to get a sampple from harkness, looking forward to testing it. Harkness is generally cheaper than stewart and they sell only material if needed so i have a feeling
there is price/performance ration in order. its a mix of 2d/3D polarisation screen.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i just learned harkness has now giving acces to regular customers buy the realD material PWT.
I tried similar material from MDI -strong and it was pretty good but it was back then unaccessible. It´s somewhere there with the stewart 5d if i remember correctly.
Im going to get a sampple from harkness, looking forward to testing it. Harkness is generally cheaper than stewart and they sell only material if needed so i have a feeling
there is price/performance ration in order. its a mix of 2d/3D polarisation screen.
Yes I was aware of that. It only goes up to 2.0 gain though. I think I need higher. Even 2.2 might be cutting it close.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Please PM me if you find someone who has samples of the PWT+, or XC Clarus, Harkness samples. I cant find anyone who can get them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have some clarus samples.. atleast i did. back at the time i was choosing material i did not find clarus desirable. atleast the 170 i think. the signal to noise ration just wasnt there as i wanted the highest. realD material from mdi was the only one of the ones that had that much better 2d than the rest i was ready to make a compromise but back then it wasnt available.

these could also prove to be good.
Though i havent read anything before.

I wonder how good that foldable is true. does it arrive all wrinkled ...hmmm

I ques it would be just best to go with as high gain as possible as one can always dim down the lightoutput and the signal to noise ration always gets better the more there is gain.
Allthough the 2.4 version seems to get pretty close to 3 on the regular GX screen. still if the Gx-wa offers even better 2d perfomance that also realtes to 3d in terms of reduced noise,
so it´s a tempting choise also. I wonder what samples i get.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have some clarus samples.. atleast i did. back at the time i was choosing material i did not find clarus desirable. atleast the 170 i think. the signal to noise ration just wasnt there as i wanted the highest. realD material from mdi was the only one of the ones that had that much better 2d than the rest i was ready to make a compromise but back then it wasnt available.

these could also prove to be good.
Though i havent read anything before.

I wonder how good that foldable is true. does it arrive all wrinkled ...hmmm

I ques it would be just best to go with as high gain as possible as one can always dim down the lightoutput and the signal to noise ration always gets better the more there is gain.
Allthough the 2.4 version seems to get pretty close to 3 on the regular GX screen. still if the Gx-wa offers even better 2d perfomance that also realtes to 3d in terms of reduced noise,
so it´s a tempting choise also. I wonder what samples i get.
GX WA has lower extinction ration than non-WA, but wider half gain, apparently. All those Severtson 3D screens in pulldown are in the same price range as Stewart 1.0 and 1.3 gain pulldown screens, from what I recall, just a head's up.

You tried the Clarus but what about the XC Clarus? Apparently it's a newer better version I guess. And if you only tried the 170, I guess it's expected the extinction ratio wasnt great. Are you saying it was any better on the StrongMDI realD material? What gain was that sample? If you still have it and are curious what its ER is compared to Severtson and a lot of others, I have a bunch of samples I plan to measure, so if it ever became zero inconvenience to you for me to borrow it I could measure it and send it back to you, and that would be great to be able to measure that one since it's kind of an enigma. Their website just says "100:1" circular polarization.

Does anyone know how much harder linear polarization is to retain than circular? Like, is there a way to calculate linear based off circular? If circular is 100:1, then linear equals... what?

·
Registered
356 Posts
yes the website says 100:1.... i think rep said linear 2.0 is over 200:1
I dont remember was it called clarus xc back then or what. It was ages ago.
I might get a new mdi-strong sample of the realD material if i don´t find the sampple case.. I don´t have aclue where i have put it.
severtson supposedly sells also just fabric. so it´s realworld price should be far from stewart as they only come with frame.

·
Registered
356 Posts
remember when you measure the realworld performance is much better than what you see when you look at some square with L/R images on the screen.
StarWars yellow on black rolling text on the last jedi or rise of the skywalker ( if i remmeber corretly the episode) is a good test. I think noone of the samples i got has passed that crosstalk exept my paint.

2461 - 2471 of 2471 Posts