AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I would see where this went and ask if you where going to put together the ultimate High End showroom what would you sell? I would ask now not to bash others opinions because I can see this thread getting off track fast.

I would say:

Runco - projo

Vidikron - projo

Stewart - Screens

Da-lite - Screens

McCormack - components

Sunfire – components

Mark Levinson – components

Niles – Controls

AMX – Controls

Synergistic Research – interconnects

Allison - speakers

Totum - speakers

Snell – speakers

Egglestonworks - speakers

escient - dvd and music manager

DVDO - scaling

Seating - ?

Power - ?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
A truly "high-end" shop would have few customers. Many of the companies in the "audiophile/videophile" arena sell so few pieces year through that it is one reason that they cost so much.

My Thoughts:

AV Processors/AMPs

Mark Levinson

Meridian

Theta

Lexicon

Denon

Additional Amps

Aragon

Audio Refinement

Video Processors

Lumagen

DVDO

Projectors

Sony

JVC

Sharp

NEC

Speakers/Subs

Revel

REL

Ariel Acoustics

C.A.T.

Paradigm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by audioguy
I will tell you exactly where this will go..you will get 12,471 different suggestions that represent each person's favorite.

and that is bad?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
This is what I am setting up right now, although I need to work on a few more brands. I have some ready and others I have not yet worked on getting or am "in negotiations" with them to carry them. A few I will probably not carry due to lack of local demand for two dealers and there already is another in town (Mark Levinson)

Video: Sony Qualia 004

Screen: Stewart Filmscreen

Source Electronics (Sources, Pro-Pros, Amps, Scalers): Lexicon, Immersive, Ayre, JVC (D-Theater is still the quality king!)

Processor/Amp: Lexicon, Immersive, Mark Levinson

Scalers: Faroudja, Immersive

Speakers: Genesis Loudspeakers, ServoDrive

Seating: Fortress Seating (I actually preferred this to Cinematech, which is another top end brand)

Control: Crestron

Power Conditioning: Equi=Tech

Other: D-BOX Odyssee Motion Simulators

Kaleidescape Video Servers

Lutron Lighting

Middle Atlantic racking systems

I am sure there are some other things I would need to start carrying, but each brand you pick up costs both money and display space. Unfortunately I will only have one showroom that can be considered "reference" while the other will be more of your real-world budget equipment.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

How about a Mike Parker-modded 9" Marquee from E-Tech here (hint hint) :D They tell me that Runco is effectively gone from CRT distribution.

·
Registered
107 Posts
"Ultimate"?

How 'bout someone who'll be there tomorrow? If a brick/mortar store where you can audition equipment, borrow/listen to at home, and have confidence that they'll be there tomorrow is high on your list do you really think that the latest greatest equipment will be there? Isn't it more important that the store will be there?! NO ONE will have every piece of equipment that is "hot" today and gone tomorrow. Don't you want someone who'll be there for trade-ins and recommendations? I always get a kick out of everyone who shops for the last dollar discount on the newest equipment and then complains about no service.

I've got an "AV shop" in Chicago that I'll ALWAYS deal with 'cause they're honest and have what they feel (and I do) are the best companies to deal with. Are they the newest/latest/greatest? No, not always. But they'll be there in the future. To me, that's infinitely more important than squeezing the last iota out of a system.

BTW, for ME, that store is www.audioconsultants.com in the Chicago area.

FWIW

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
My opinion would be a store that truly could and would demonstrate that great audio and video could be had on a budget and without $1200.00 speaker cables.

Many myths would be stomped on, EVERY bit of rebadging (Runco, Niles, etc) would be exposed and squashed, and the uninitiated and uninformed customer would truly appreciate the no BS info, and would recommend that store to all his friends.

That's my dream. In reality, no one would ever open a store like that, as it would be out of business in no time.

2mnytoys has the right idea though as to a business model, I expanded on it..:)

Curt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 2mnyToys
"Ultimate"?

How 'bout someone who'll be there tomorrow? If a brick/mortar store where you can audition equipment, borrow/listen to at home, and have confidence that they'll be there tomorrow is high on your list do you really think that the latest greatest equipment will be there? Isn't it more important that the store will be there?! NO ONE will have every piece of equipment that is "hot" today and gone tomorrow. Don't you want someone who'll be there for trade-ins and recommendations? I always get a kick out of everyone who shops for the last dollar discount on the newest equipment and then complains about no service.

I've got an "AV shop" in Chicago that I'll ALWAYS deal with 'cause they're honest and have what they feel (and I do) are the best companies to deal with. Are they the newest/latest/greatest? No, not always. But they'll be there in the future. To me, that's infinitely more important than squeezing the last iota out of a system.

BTW, for ME, that store is www.audioconsultants.com in the Chicago area.

FWIW
So what you are saying brand is not as important to you as customer service is and if they and the manufactures they sell have been around and will most likely be around for a long time is a better choice? I can partially agree with that but just because someone has been around for a long time, take KLH a family owned business founded in 1957, is not the bench mark for reliable and good equipment, also I know some great "Sales people" who will make you feel all worm and fuzzy but really just want your commission and referral so they tell you what you want to hear and make you feel like they are on your side. I do agree that customer service is an art that is almost gone and when I feel that I am getting great customer service I don't mind spending a few dollars more and driving out of my way to get it. However it they give me the greatest CS I have ever had I would still never but a par of KLH speakers. I also had the "WORST CUSTOMER EXPERIENCES IN MY LIFE" with companies that are still around and doing great. The bigger they are the smaller you are, and less likely they care about you or your sale. I hope I did not get what you where saying wrong I really do, also with this post I was asking about product not everything else that can go into an Ultimate Shop and I know there is a ton of stuff like customer service, return and exchange, ability to work with you and fix your problem, location and installation experience.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
My opinion would be a store that truly could and would demonstrate that great audio and video could be had on a budget and without $1200.00 speaker cables.

let me second that - just got another pair of Maggies (3.5s) from a very nice gentleman. he was quite proud of his system - seems he went into the premier high-end store, told the owner he wanted the best system he could have for 10K. And the store did sell him a very good 6K system, but in order to make a decent profit, they then sold him 3K of cables. He ended up giving me the cables when I got the speakers.

Curt, when you stop laughing, could you please explain to me how the sound knows to go only one way thru these nifty wires - they have arrows on them, and the cable manual explains that they only work in one direction.

FWIW, the aforementioned store also won a reader's poll, voting it the BEST hi-fi store, when money is no object. Would hate to go into a bad store.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is and will never be an ultimate high end store/showroom. Too many variables. The markets are completely different and it is the successful B&M's that know their area and know what is successful in that area. Being able to create a niche where one previously has not been evident is a task that few are able to exploit.

It is in my opinion that there are a lot of great products when it comes to the higher end or even mid to high end. As time goes on it appears that with many customer (in my market) the person who you are buying it from is more important than the product itself.

As far as products, every store should carry products that their employees believe in. Products made by companies that you agree with their practices. Not to start a flame but when companies such as Monster sue small companies for pointless reasons it leaves a horrible view of companies in CE. I work at a company that sells Monster (what company doesn't by now) and I will not try to sell their product because of their tactics used on small business.

As far as cables. Good Build Quality Is Key and Supporting the American Worker (Not the $1,000+ per cable worker).

A little off topic but just my 2 cents + .001 cents for inflation.

-Darrel

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyingvee
he wanted the best system he could have for 10K. And the store did sell him a very good 6K system, but in order to make a decent profit, they then sold him 3K of cables.
You just summed it up. In order to make a profit, they sold him $3K of pure BS.

The Pennzoil oil change guys tried the same thing on me when I got my oil changed. All of the flushes, etc that they wanted to do would have been $125.00 more than the basic $25.00 oil change.:rolleyes:

Curt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.