AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought the ultimate B&W and Classe Theater was the one at B&W's headquarters that features a 7.3 system with ten 400watt Classe mono amps, plus a 5 X 200 and a 2 X 200 watt Classe amp mentioned here: http://www.hedmag.com/node/Brawny_New_BandWs

However, that is only 5,400 watts for a 7.3 system, so someone decided to outdo B&W with a 7.5 system with 8,100 watts (fourteen 400 watt Classe mono amps and five 500 watt Rotel mono amps) mentioned here: http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...awatt_theater/

This home won't win any awards for being the best bang for buck as I would guess that the MSRP for just the theater and that massive rack would be at least $500,000 (the amps alone are well over $100,000!) However, it is one of the most complete theaters (and homes) I have ever seen as it leaves almost no stone unturned for the latest HT tech equipment in place.

That said, I'm surprised they went with the Classe 300 processor, they could have at least gone with the 600

So, since money seemed to be no object for this project, anyone have any ideas on how this could have been set-up better with other equipment?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I was also very impressed when I read that article. The home theatre is really gorgeous and the equipment used is way above the usual stuff used in the nice looking theatres. This one is about the look AND the sound. I agree with you, they should have gone with the Classe 600 or even higher, but I'm sure it's still awesome. Nice house too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I remember reading the factory visit to B&W headquarters by HomeTheater magazine. In B&W's own ultra theater I didn't see the 800 series speakers with kevlar midranges.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I just assumed it was where the faucet emptied. Makes for a fancy little waterfall.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPADDY /forum/post/14221936

Am I seeing things - I am sure that there is a Mark Levinson no.40 on the rack?

I noticed that too. There is an add in the newest Home Theater magazine with this system in it. The conveniently cut-off the rack with the processors in it. The probably got a nice discount so b&w / classe could use it for advertising. The wealthy always find ways to help fund their systems...

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I don't get it. Why do people add up the subs to come up with 7.3,7.5,etc.? I have two subs in one of my systems but that doesn't magically make it 7.2. The number is there for the number of actual channels being decoded and sent from the signal, not the amount of speakers in the chain.

Oh well, must just be a pet peeve of mine. ^_^;

Also, I really like the house. I'd trade. :)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
A. how do i get that kind of money?

B. nice job. while any component can be argued, the whole package at the end is what counts. i get of on whole home integration. to me, that is what defines the high end.

C. i love the mistakes they make in describing things. only we notice... but they are still funny.

·
Banned
163 Posts
To confuse matters even more the website for http://www.thesoundroom.com states “An 18-foot wide Cinecurve screen from Stewart can mask to any aspect ratio." and Elctronichouse states that it is a 13 foot screen ?

I think both parties need to get their facts straight.

But there is no denying that the room is fantastic and I hope the owners enjoy the job the guys at soundroom have done, I know I would.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I found funny the reference to the K server with 400 movies. then after that they have 7 servers...

I have a feeling it is one server with 400 movies and 7 zones.

But lets be honest, the writers are not exactly AV experts.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman /forum/post/14264028

I found funny the reference to the K server with 400 movies. then after that they have 7 servers...

I have a feeling it is one server with 400 movies and 7 zones.

But lets be honest, the writers are not exactly AV experts.

I just clicked on the link to the pics of your kids. Holy crap, has it been that long already?! They're like little people now. LOL.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
unfortunately there is nothin little about them anymore. they are off the chart in almost every measured category. which sucks a bit because of peoples perceptions.

As an example, my son has autism and is not really speaking yet, but people see him, assume that he is 4 or so, then REALLY think that he is behind.

But i guess being bigger means he wont get picked on as much...

I am hoping they just slow down in growing a little bit. but i have a feelin that wont be happening.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie /forum/post/14261683

I don't get it. Why do people add up the subs to come up with 7.3,7.5,etc.? I have two subs in one of my systems but that doesn't magically make it 7.2. The number is there for the number of actual channels being decoded and sent from the signal, not the amount of speakers in the chain.

Oh well, must just be a pet peeve of mine. ^_^;

Also, I really like the house. I'd trade. :)

Actually, I think the B&W CT800 is a true 7.5 system. The preamp output for each channel from the preamp goes to a separate box (the CT8 XO) before the signal goes to the speaker. The box splits the signal into three separate signals, one for the high frequency, one for the low frequency, and one for the LFE channel. That is the reason for the 14 Classe Amps and 5 Rotel amps as only the rear surround speakers do not have subs in this system (not sure how much LFE is encoded in the rear surrouds anyway).

So yes, I fully agree that just adding subs doesn't make it a 7.5 system, but I think in this type of setup it is correct to list it as a 7.5 system.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester /forum/post/14271854

Actually, I think the B&W CT800 is a true 7.5 system. The preamp output for each channel from the preamp goes to a separate box (the CT8 XO) before the signal goes to the speaker. The box splits the signal into three separate signals, one for the high frequency, one for the low frequency, and one for the LFE channel. That is the reason for the 14 Classe Amps and 5 Rotel amps as only the rear surround speakers do not have subs in this system (not sure how much LFE is encoded in the rear surrouds anyway).

So yes, I fully agree that just adding subs doesn't make it a 7.5 system, but I think in this type of setup it is correct to list it as a 7.5 system.

Interesting. I guess the question is, do you consider it a glorified crossover, or it is really 3 separate signals from the emerging signal?

I guess it seems strange to me that someone can take a stereo signal, (like some people do with an external crossover or something like adding a dolby lake to the chain) break it up, separately amp it for each driver, and it's still a stereo signal, but this is a 7.5 for it's process. What would the difference be?

Maybe I need to re-read the definitions...

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the multiple Richard Gray's Powerhouses. Always an item of controversy on the Forums. Regards, Norm

·
Registered
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman /forum/post/14267642

unfortunately there is nothin little about them anymore. they are off the chart in almost every measured category. which sucks a bit because of peoples perceptions.

As an example, my son has autism and is not really speaking yet, but people see him, assume that he is 4 or so, then REALLY think that he is behind.

But i guess being bigger means he wont get picked on as much...

I am hoping they just slow down in growing a little bit. but i have a feelin that wont be happening.

My boss' son had the same issue. He looked like he was 5 when he was 2 1/2. (My boss is 6' 8" so that probably had something to do with it.)

I myself was a really late talker. (over 3 years old before I started talking) Without sidetracking the thread too much, is it because he and his sister interact with each other a lot that slows the speech development?

I'm a twin as well and they attributed our confiding with each other as the main reason for taking so long to get up to speed with normal developments.

Regardless, best of luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts