AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few weeks I've devoted 100's of hours trying to come up with the Ultimate combination of OS, software and drivers for perfect DVD playback. Tonight I finally stumbled across the right mix. The OS is Windows 98 SE lite, Radeon drivers 7140 (res 848x480), WinDVD 2.6.35 with the .exe from 2.6.4. The only picture adjustment that I have made is by using the overlay brightness control under the color tab in the displays advanced settings. With my current setup I now have the best picture, the best sound and best functionality that I have so have witnessed in my PC. This combo might not be the best for everyone or anyone else, but I assure you that I have tried every OS, video driver, sound driver, software DVD player and every patch. I have also gone through all the different ways to adjust the picture. For now on MY hardware this is the best setup. What did I learn? Don't assume anything, someone elses perfect setup probably isn't so perfect once tried on own hardware.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffY:
For the last few weeks I've devoted 100's of hours trying to come up with the Ultimate combination of OS, software and drivers for perfect DVD playback. Tonight I finally stumbled across the right mix. The OS is Windows 98 SE lite, Radeon drivers 7140 (res 848x480), WinDVD 2.6.35 with the .exe from 2.6.4. The only picture adjustment that I have made is by using the overlay brightness control under the color tab in the displays advanced settings. With my current setup I now have the best picture, the best sound and best functionality that I have so have witnessed in my PC. This combo might not be the best for everyone or anyone else, but I assure you that I have tried every OS, video driver, sound driver, software DVD player and every patch. I have also gone through all the different ways to adjust the picture. For now on MY hardware this is the best setup. What did I learn? Don't assume anything, someone elses perfect setup probably isn't so perfect once tried on own hardware.

Jeff
Have you ever tried the ATI player at 0 IRE settings? Until you see that, you haven't seen anything.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever tried the ATI player at 0 IRE settings? Until you see that, you haven't seen anything
I can't speak for the other Jeff, but in my case the difference between the image quality of the ATI Player and WinDVD is pretty minor on my 55" RPTV. Given that the ATI Player doesn't support DTS and is generally less stable, I prefer WinDVD. I can also more easily control WinDVD functionality with my Pronto/Girder combo than I can for the ATI Player.

In the end, the fact that we have 3 good DVD players, each with their own relative strengths, is a good thing IMHO, because it encourages competition.

------------------

Jeff Kohn
http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn
My DVD Profiler Collection

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JKohn:
I can't speak for the other Jeff, but in my case the difference between the image quality of the ATI Player and WinDVD is pretty minor on my 55" RPTV. Given that the ATI Player doesn't support DTS and is generally less stable, I prefer WinDVD. I can also more easily control WinDVD functionality with my Pronto/Girder combo than I can for the ATI Player.

In the end, the fact that we have 3 good DVD players, each with their own relative strengths, is a good thing IMHO, because it encourages competition.

Basically everyone who says what you just said has never seen the Radeon/ATI combo properly calibrated and tweaked. Those that do won;t say that. I do agree that the difference is less noticeable on a RPTV, but if you've ever tried 0 IRE with the ATI player's settings you'll see black level detail you never thought possible which adds a 3d quality to the image that WinDVD just falls short on. As for the sound, man o man, I don;t know how many people have raved about the ATI player's sound capability with DD 5.1, so much so that they prefer it to WinDVD's DTS. I agree that it's nice to have all the options to cover everyone's taste, but the ATI picture (and if you want the settings I'll forward them to you) is the cat's you know what right now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mike,

I must agree with you. And excuse my previous posts about 100 Gamma having artifacts (I actually got caught by that Dec vs. Hex thing). Those 0 IRE settings give a picture that defies explanation. Though, I have to admit, I have boosted the B and C by 200 (Dec) and reduced the Sat by 600 (Dec). This was due to my LCD projectors limitation of not having a user Color control in VGA mode, plus increasing the Brightness at the projector only washed it out more. It's still an awsome picture! I may eventually play with the internal adjustments.

I also must agree with the ATI DD5.1 statement. I actually prefer it over WinDVD 2.6.4 DTS. I would have to go back to my standalone player for better DTS which I won't do. I can't speak for WinDVD 3.0, though. Anyway, the ATI 4.1 player is now stable and tweaked to perfection, and I'm a happy camper!

Carey

------------------

My forever in-progress Home Theatre

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Mike,

i will ask you the same question that was asked of me before whether you are partial to the ATI player and affiliated with ATI in anyway being from Ontario and all.(Just a joke)

Besides the menu freezes which can be eliminated by the right mouse click then manually going to the menus, i have to concur with you on your post above. WinDVD looks damn good as well and the players sound quality is so good that i uninstalled PowerDVD 3.0. I must admit though that i agree 100% with Carey and yourself, i'm partial with the ATI player as well. Just wait until they add DTS support http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's, silver center and silver 3's(rears)

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.