AVS Forum banner

8941 - 8960 of 18646 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
Wait until you hear the Dolby Atmos version of Revenge of the Fallen on the 4K UHD disc! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why this movie isn't touted more as such a great bass demo movie. There are tons of subsonics in this movie. Even the dream works intro has tons of subsonics from 25 sec to 35 sec range. I always assumed a lot of folks just didn't hear these sounds and that was partly why the movie wasn't cited more often. I never even heard these sounds until my infinite baffle setup was in place. When I had buttkickers (before replacing them with something better), I use to use the intro to transformers at that location to tune them for max volume before bottoming out. Also at 6:50-7:02 in the beginning fight when side swipe flies over the car has subsonics again. This part use to cone my IB 12 array (before I redid it with IB 15's, which never barely move). Again you don't normally feel/hear this even on normal "good" subs.

In fact, transformers 2009 is also one of the best demo sound tracks period (not just for bass). From the dream works intro to the end of the mini-intro where Optimus prime is narrating, you have tons of sounds in all frequencies. The optimus prime voice, itself, is deep and if your system is decent, you can feel it in your chest as he talks. The movie is good. The sound is one of the best I've ever heard period. I consider Transformers revenge of the fallen, top gun, and doctor strange to be my 3 favorite sound tracks of all time.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I'm not sure why this movie isn't touted more as such a great bass demo movie. There are tons of subsonics in this movie. Even the dream works intro has tons of subsonics from 25 sec to 35 sec range. I always assumed a lot of folks just didn't hear these sounds and that was partly why the movie wasn't cited more often. I never even heard these sounds until my infinite baffle setup was in place. When I had buttkickers (before replacing them with something better), I use to use the intro to transformers at that location to tune them for max volume before bottoming out. Also at 6:50-7:02 in the beginning fight when side swipe flies over the car has subsonics again. This part use to cone my IB 12 array (before I redid it with IB 15's, which never barely move). Again you don't normally feel/hear this even on normal "good" subs.

In fact, transformers 2009 is also one of the best demo sound tracks period (not just for bass). From the dream works intro to the end of the mini-intro where Optimus prime is narrating, you have tons of sounds in all frequencies. The optimus prime voice, itself, is deep and if your system is decent, you can feel it in your chest as he talks. The movie is good. The sound is one of the best I've ever heard period. I consider Transformers revenge of the fallen, top gun, and doctor strange to be my 3 favorite sound tracks of all time.

A lot of people make fun of these movies but I really like them (the last one was not great though).

Tons of amazing sound effects and deep bass.

I need to check out my new 4K Atmos versions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I believe the original blu ray Transformers releases have filtered bass, whereas the 4k Atmos soundtracks are intact and full bandwidth, just fantastic. I do find too much 80-120Hz content in the LFE channel, which makes Optimus voice localizable on my vnf subs behind me. I set the lfe crossovef to 80Hz and that takes care of that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I posted this in the PSA forum but I realized this is the more appropriate place to post.

1:21:41 into in “A Quiet Place” starts about a 15 sec onslaught of roughly 20hz bass. I was listening to different scenes from the movie at reference and that’s the one timestamp I felt like my couch was lifting up with the V1801 firing inches into my back behind the couch. Unfortunately I can measure visually how hard the bass hits because my drywall that my TV is mounted on flexes and my TV shutters . I was clipping my Umik set at -18 (default) from 12 ft from v3601 and maybe a foot from my v1801 where my MLP is. Sexy bass and I can’t say that I’ve ever seen that much air pouring out of the ports in a constant stream... seems “chucky-ish” The footsteps prior to that part, are the only part of the movie where I can audibly hear my v3601 breathe. Also on that scene, where my head leans over the back of my couch, I could feel the air from the VA 1801 rushing up between the sub and the couch... I felt like someone turned on a fan from the floor.

1:18:43 to 1:19:12 (footsteps scene) has some super low (18ish hz) content that will test any ported sub unless it’s some 10-12hz tuned monster

It’s fun to have the house to yourself and have a fridge full of beer and subs that pound. My neighbors MAY disagree!!!!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Lone Survivor (2013) Bass Graph UHD

Is the Atmos track on the blu ray of a Quiet Place the same as the 4K disc?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/07/13/avengers-infinity-war-4k-blu-ray-set-to-frustrate-av-fans/#7bf0a7864c8e

Regarding this article, it’s ridiculous Disney won’t include IMAX footage on the home 4K release of Avengers: Infinity War, because a few people might not like the transition from 2:39:1. If I had a hand in making this film, I’d be mad as hell to have all the IMAX footage cut down for the home release. Is this a common practice?!

I’m glad the article also mentions the hampered audio of recent Marvel releases.

“Let’s just hope that Disney doesn’t make it a trio of disappointments by partnering Infinity War on Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray with another one of the strangely compressed audio tracks covered in this separate story.”

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,950 (Edited)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/07/13/avengers-infinity-war-4k-blu-ray-set-to-frustrate-av-fans/#7bf0a7864c8e

Regarding this article, it’s ridiculous Disney won’t include IMAX footage on the home 4K release of Avengers: Infinity War, because a few people might not like the transition from 2:39:1. If I had a hand in making this film, I’d be mad as hell to have all the IMAX footage cut down for the home release. Is this a common practice?!

I’m glad the article also mentions the hampered audio of recent Marvel releases.

“Let’s just hope that Disney doesn’t make it a trio of disappointments by partnering Infinity War on Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray with another one of the strangely compressed audio tracks covered in this separate story.”

NO IMAX scenes and NO Dolby Vision for a 2 Billion dollar movie:confused: wtf Disney. hopefully it has a 4K Digital Intermediate and a killer Atmos track. if they cant do those two things then it's pointless.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

Personally I can’t stand variable aspect ratio movies (as is the case with most CinemaScope screen owners). I have a 2.40:1 screen and it forces me to watch in 16x9 mode.

Love the Nolan movies but can’t stand the VAR.

Reactions: carp and biga6761

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Just watched A Quiet Place and holy crap did that give my subs a workout. Glad to report my JTRs handled it with no problem running the subs 9dB hot but main volume at -9. Whew... loved everything about the movie, extremely suspenseful and tons of loud scare moments.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Educate me please. Superfist suggested I just like 30hz bass better after my disappointment with the Incredible Hulk (4K Disc). Here it is again with A Quiet Place (4K Disc) I am disappointed with a movie (bass wise, I enjoyed the movie) you all seem to love. Today I watched MIBII (4K Disc) and enjoyed the bass more. I am watching Titan A.E. (DVD Disc) and recently Transformers 2 (Blu-Ray Disc) which both seemed to be more powerful in the bass. Granted I could have better sub placement but I just don't have the room for it. Maybe if I saved up and replaced all my speakers and put bookshelfs on top of subs instead of my towers. Is it my tastes? Not powerful enough sub? Room Null at listening position? I don't want to spend money on a mic just because I am only unhappy with my sound when I don't have the reaction the rest of you have on a movie. Those experienced with REW that I have been reading about, can I use my receiver setup mic to get measurements? I am saving for a possible sound upgrade in the next few years.

·
Registered
398 Posts
After Percy Jackson "The Lightning Thief" last weekend (Yes still hard hitting 5 star bass:cool:) I watched the superbly done 4 star" Clash of the Titans" and released the Kraken on the room and wow! I plan on the 5 star follow up of "Wrath of the Titans" to hear or not hear the deep groans of Kronos :D but I must say I've really been enjoying going back and watching the heavy hitting now classics. Up this weekend I've got the 4K versions of" A Quite Place " and "Fury" on tap;)
Yes sir! +100%
I recently re-watched "Percy" with the youngest and it really does bring the goods but I also re-watched "Clash" and "Wrath" and found both to be a great ride, but man "Wrath" is a serious ULF MONSTER! I have actually spun different parts of "Wrath" everyday since, simply because of how well done it is and how much different the ULF is in each scene. It really may be my favorite 5* bass movie alongside "Battle L.A.", " Star Trek '09", and "Hellboy II".

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes sir! +100%
I recently re-watched "Percy" with the youngest and it really does bring the goods but I also watched "Clash" and "Wrath" and found both to be a great ride, but man "Wrath" is a serious ULF MONSTER! I have actually spun different parts of "Wrath" everyday since, simply because of how well done it is and how much different the ULF is in each scene. It really may be my favorite 5* bass movie alongside "Battle L.A.", " Star Trek '09", and "Hellboy II".

Man it's gotta be Percy Jackson week or something! I just watched this for the first time after upgrading to dual PSA 3000i subs with my son as well and came away with the same impression.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Educate me please. Superfist suggested I just like 30hz bass better after my disappointment with the Incredible Hulk (4K Disc). Here it is again with A Quiet Place (4K Disc) I am disappointed with a movie (bass wise, I enjoyed the movie) you all seem to love. Today I watched MIBII (4K Disc) and enjoyed the bass more. I am watching Titan A.E. (DVD Disc) and recently Transformers 2 (Blu-Ray Disc) which both seemed to be more powerful in the bass. Granted I could have better sub placement but I just don't have the room for it. Maybe if I saved up and replaced all my speakers and put bookshelfs on top of subs instead of my towers. Is it my tastes? Not powerful enough sub? Room Null at listening position? I don't want to spend money on a mic just because I am only unhappy with my sound when I don't have the reaction the rest of you have on a movie. Those experienced with REW that I have been reading about, can I use my receiver setup mic to get measurements? I am saving for a possible sound upgrade in the next few years.
You wouldn't buy a Ferrari and put cheap brakes on it would you? Trust me I completely understand where you're coming from. I always saw all these REW comments and measurements and was like nope I'm not gonna bother with all that. Guess what I'm doing right now? Working on my frequency response in my room with REW lol. If you're serious about what you spend your money on, then you should spend a lil more and try and get the most out of it!

Imagine you could add 50hp more to your car just by changing the air filter? You'd do it right? Stop evading thee inevitable lol

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What sub(s) do you have? Room size? Usual playback MV?
Frequencies 20hz and under need to be played back reasonably loud to be heard/felt

Reactions: farsider3000

·
Registered
833 Posts
You wouldn't buy a Ferrari and put cheap brakes on it would you? Trust me I completely understand where you're coming from. I always saw all these REW comments and measurements and was like nope I'm not gonna bother with all that. Guess what I'm doing right now? Working on my frequency response in my room with REW lol. If you're serious about what you spend your money on, then you should spend a lil more and try and get the most out of it!

Imagine you could add 50hp more to your car just by changing the air filter? You'd do it right? Stop evading thee inevitable lol
I ran around my room with a spl meter while playing test tones and then graphing it out on paper. Didn't want to spend the money on getting my laptop fixed and a mic. Figured that's a couple hundred that could go towards speakers. But once I went to 3 subs I had to give in and get a mic and Rew. Still really green on the ins and outs of it, was intimidated at first because I'm not much of a computer guy. Good Lord I can't believe I waited this long and wasted so much time and effort measuring like I was with a rat shack spl, having to reference a chart to compensate for the spl not being accurate . I only know enough to do quick and dirty measurements right now, but it is so much better. It's almost fun moving subs in different spots and seeing what you got. Changed my room completely around 3 times in the last 2 weeks, trying to find the absolute best spots for the subs. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made in while

8941 - 8960 of 18646 Posts