AVS Forum banner

12041 - 12060 of 18646 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I would say no in that case. There are so many great reference titles in the 9-10 scoring range that I would choose a band you like more from those titles assuming you can still track them down for a decent price since most are sadly oop. :(
Thanks!

Reactions: Toe

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Love the last three on your list! I cant listen to the Eagles unfortunately, so cant speak to those.

There are a few others from the 8 Talking Heads surround albums that sound excellent as well. Remain in Light is one. Cant remember which others are in that range. The whole set is generally good, but Speaking in Tongues is the clear best. I've found you cant go wrong with anything rated in the 9-10 range on quadraphonicquad.com as far as multichannel music discs go. I assume you have some of the classics like Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Division Bell, Wish You Were Here, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Big Phat Band XXL, etc....?

Some of my favorite live concerts from a recording/mix standpoint in no particular order off the top of my head....

Dream Theater (will have to look which show exactly as one sounds particularly awesome to my ears)
Metallica Through the Never
NIN Beside you in Time (mentioned in post above and I love this one as well)
Roger Waters The Wall
David Gilmour Live at Pompeii
Talking Heads Stop Making Sense Studio mix (we already mentioned, but worth mentioning again as it sounds THAT good :D)
Grateful Dead Trucking Up to Buffalo (DVD only in 5.1 DD, but mixed from the 24 track multitracks and sounds fantastic! Killer show as well from a peak period in Dead history)
Grateful Dead Sunshine Daydream Venetta Oregon 8-27-72 (One of the all time great Dead shows that sounds unreal. When you consider it's from 1972, this lossless 5.1 mix on blu ray is even more mind blowing).
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall
Joe Bonamassa Live at Red Rocks (Muddy Waters tribute show)
Led Zeppelin DVD Earl's Court show in particular. Only DVD and DTS 5.1, but still demo worthy and one of the best! short 6 song section from this show, but 1/2 acoustic songs and half electric. I used the 3 opening acoustic songs as demo material for years starting in (I think) 2004 when this came out.
Phish Clifford Ball. Again, DVD only but clearly mixed from the soundboard multitracks and sounds phenomenal
Peter Gabriel Growing Up
Peter Gabriel Secret World

There are a few others I'm not remembering that are mixed/recorded particularly well that I'd have to look at my collection to jog my memory. I know one of my Widespread Panic Dvds sounds killer, but cant remember which.

Would LOVE to hear other people's suggestions on particularly excellent sounding/mixed concerts if you have any! :) Always great discovering a new excellent sounding live show.
I have just about all of those as well. I probably have 100 concert discs.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thanks @Toe I'll check them out!
I already have Through the Never, Roger Waters The Wall and David Gilmour Live at Pompeii - and agree all are excellent
I'm also looking at AC/DC Live at River Plate and AC/DC Live at Donington - have you watched either of them ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very cool! Any that sound and are mixed particularly great that I didn't mention? I'm always up for a new music disc if its recorded/mixed well.
I have 145 Bluray concerts, I can make a list of wich is my top picks, havent listen to all, but of them that I have listen to there are a few standing out.....

I will put the list down the in the next few days if you want, as I will be at home then..

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
^^

This is awesome guys!! Looks like my upcoming BluRay concert collection is about to test the visa. Hendrix should be here today.:)

·
Registered
6,613 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
Thanks @Toe I'll check them out!
I already have Through the Never, Roger Waters The Wall and David Gilmour Live at Pompeii - and agree all are excellent
I'm also looking at AC/DC Live at River Plate and AC/DC Live at Donington - have you watched either of them ?
Haven't heard either one of those AC/DC shows, but please report back on how they are! :)

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
I have 145 Bluray concerts, I can make a list of wich is my top picks, havent listen to all, but of them that I have listen to there are a few standing out.....

I will put the list down the in the next few days if you want, as I will be at home then..
Yes, please add the list when you can. :)

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
OT guys. Could we keep the thread about bass in movies, please.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the reminder, MrGrey. I recently saw this for cheap at my local Walmart, but I keep passing on this one for the bad reputation it has on the bass track. Looking at it, it's not bad at all, it just doesn't dig very low. If I can enjoy Battleship and Godzilla, why not this one? I remember seeing it many years ago, but haven't rewatched since then. Let's hope it's still there!

Reactions: MrGrey

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
Love the last three on your list! I cant listen to the Eagles unfortunately, so cant speak to those.
Why is that Toe? Does it do this to you?? :D

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the reminder, MrGrey. I recently saw this for cheap at my local Walmart, but I keep passing on this one for the bad reputation it has on the bass track. Looking at it, it's not bad at all, it just doesn't dig very low. If I can enjoy Battleship and Godzilla, why not this one? I remember seeing it many years ago, but haven't rewatched since then. Let's hope it's still there!

IMO, 2012 along with Revenge of the Sith are the two biggest bass flops ever. Graph doesn't tell all. The execution is horrible on 2012 as far as the bass with the on screen action.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Toe, are you the Dude?

Just got the Big Lebowski recently in 4K/UHD/HDR/DTS:X
Awesome upgrade over the old Bluray, and just $17

...But Ya know, that's, like, Only my opinion, man.

120" screen shots from my JVC, Samsung S9 smartphone camera

Still no Graph's from anyone yet :( (hint)

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
Toe, are you the Dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WJqKWqUHQ

Just got the Big Lebowski recently in 4K/UHD/HDR/DTS:X
Awesome upgrade over the old Bluray, and just $17

...But Ya know, that's, like, Only my opinion, man.

120" screen shots from my JVC, Samsung S9 smartphone camera

Still no Graph's from anyone yet :( (hint)
:D EVERY time the Eagles come up in conversation I think of that scene from that movie! One of my all time favorite films. I was going to wait and see if it would drop more in price, but I just ordered it. Need it now. Thanks for the push. Dude abides! :p

EDIT: Funny you ask that as I DID strongly resemble the dude back in the 90s ironically. :D

12041 - 12060 of 18646 Posts