AVS Forum banner

16461 - 16480 of 18609 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's why I initially said if you're not familiar with remuxing and demuxing movies, it's not really for you (depending on people's computer know-how, it's too complicated to go into on this bass thread). These files aren't for playing separately. You must know how to separate audio from video on your movies or else it's pretty much unusable.
Apparently I'd a brain fade. All's well now after remuxing with mkvtoolnix. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
Is the bass better for the 3 movies How to Train Your Dragon in 4K with Dolby Atmos?
One of the movies I bought yesterday in the sale linked here (thanks again! :)) was HTTYD 3 and I was just checking out the graph. Looks like it hits well into the teens, but maybe could use just a bit of a level bump. I'm wondering if it needs an overall MV bump or just the bass needs to be bumped? Easy enough to tell when I get it, but am curious if the overall track is a bit low or just the bass?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
One of the movies I bought yesterday in the sale linked here (thanks again! :)) was HTTYD 3 and I was just checking out the graph. Looks like it hits well into the teens, but maybe could use just a bit of a level bump. I'm wondering if it needs an overall MV bump or just the bass needs to be bumped? Easy enough to tell when I get it, but am curious if the overall track is a bit low or just the bass?
This could very well be the answer you're looking for. ;)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2995212-bass-eq-filtered-movies-post57871780.html#post57871780

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
Thanks, but I already saw the graph as I mentioned before and it doesnt tell us whether the bass is just a bit low level or the track as a whole unless there is something I am missing? Only thing I did find was Ralph mentioned in his review to crank up the overall volume a bit more than normal which would suggest the track as a whole is a bit low.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks, but I already saw the graph as I mentioned before and it doesnt tell us whether the bass is just a bit low level or the track as a whole unless there is something I am missing? Only thing I did find was Ralph mentioned in his review to crank up the overall volume a bit more than normal which would suggest the track as a whole is a bit low.
Right on. I was just referencing this graph as it has the ULF boosted and is also showing a +2.5 MV.

Reactions: Toe

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Kids and I had the day to ourselves as my wife had to work. We watched Force Awakens (getting ready for episode 9) at about -20 but with about a 7db sub boost plus DEQ on so probably close to reference bass levels. Wow that movie is still fun. So many ULF room shaking scenes especially force interrogation scenes. I don’t get to open up my PC-4000s to that level very often so it was nice. By the way while the Disney + 4K/DV version looks better and has Atmos I don’t believe the dynamic range and bass is as good (as expected) so we were watching the BD rip.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,468
Kids and I had the day to ourselves as my wife had to work. We watched Force Awakens (getting ready for episode 9) at about -20 but with about a 7db sub boost plus DEQ on so probably close to reference bass levels. Wow that movie is still fun. So many ULF room shaking scenes especially force interrogation scenes. I don’t get to open up my PC-4000s to that level very often so it was nice. By the way while the Disney + 4K/DV version looks better and has Atmos I don’t believe the dynamic range and bass is as good (as expected) so we were watching the BD rip.
You know for a fact Disney castrated that 4K DV Atmos release. This is the reason why i know I won't be getting the 4K Disc when it comes out at there's no way they are gonna leave all that powerful audio 100% interact. Disney is going over all their powerful mixes and making them safe. I can't imagine what those bastards will do to Tron Legacy.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
You know for a fact Disney castrated that 4K DV Atmos release. This is the reason why i know I won't be getting the 4K Disc when it comes out at there's no way they are gonna leave all that powerful audio 100% interact. Disney is going over all their powerful mixes and making them safe. I can't imagine what those bastards will do to Tron Legacy.

This is why I'm so glad that my Sony display and Oppo 203 can deliver some pretty fantastic upconversion to 4k and even add a bit of HDR pop if wanted to those titles I have on bluray, not to mention DSUand DTS neural:x proving there salt as well,top that of with same good old fashion uncut un filtered and even sometimes hot Tron Legacy sound track (and others as well from them already owned) they can do as they want as they won't see a coin from me on those titles;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I added your soundfile to my" U-571 REMUX" file of the movie, and it worked great. Was off sync with the video I had (probably because of different regions or something.), but that was a easy fix.
I was able to REMUX the Movie with the new audio track but like you the sync was off. How did you resync the movie?

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I was able to REMUX the Movie with the new audio track but like you the sync was off. How did you resync the movie?
Seeing as you're a fellow PSA S3000i owner like myself, perhaps I can lend you a hand. :D

Depending on which program you used to remux the movie, there should be an area that has an audio delay in it which should be negative if the audio is ahead of the video and positive if the video is ahead of the audio (I use MKVToolNix GUI v14.0.0 64bit). I know @aron7awol uses a precise method of determining the correct amount to sync it within VirtualDub perfectly using common frames that I'm unfamiliar with so perhaps he can share his steps with us as I am quite interested as well. :D

You can set a delay (positive or negative) for an audio track in MKVToolnix to fix delay issues within the remuxed file itself. You just need to figure out what that delay needs to be.

I usually use VirtualDub with ffmpeg input plugin to load up both files and subtract the timestamps on common frames between the two to figure out the exact delay in ms.

Avidemux can do the same, it just takes a lot longer to load the files up to compare.

What I do first is open the file I remuxed in MPC-HC and check many spots where people are talking in clear frames throughout the film and then go into Options > Internal Filters > Audio Switcher > Audio time shift (ms) and readjust the audio discrepancy accordingly while testing it out thereafter. I've honed it down pretty well as lip syncing will drive me absolutely insane to no end so I've gotten pretty good at getting it spot on within a quarter of a second either way (250 ms), but Aron gets it within a fraction of a ms!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

I think we may need to soon set up a Disney soundtrack anger support group for us all. Anyone remember this Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey? Thought it was relevant.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to DisneyLand, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "DisneyLand burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real DisneyLand, but it was getting pretty late.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seeing as you're a fellow PSA S3000i owner like myself, perhaps I can lend you a hand. :D

Depending on which program you used to remux the movie, there should be an area that has an audio delay in it which should be negative if the audio is ahead of the video and positive if the video is ahead of the audio (I use MKVToolNix GUI v14.0.0 64bit). I know @aron7awol uses a precise method of determining the correct amount to sync it within VirtualDub perfectly using frames that I'm unfamiliar with so perhaps he can share his steps with us as I am quite interested as well. :D

What I do first is open the file I remuxed in MPC-HC and check many spots where people are talking in clear frames throughout the film and then go into Options > Internal Filters > Audio Switcher > Audio time shift (ms) and readjust the audio discrepancy accordingly while testing it out thereafter. I've honed it down pretty well as lip syncing will drive me absolutely insane to no end so I've gotten pretty good at getting it spot on within a half second either way (250 ms), but Aron gets it within a fraction of a ms!
Thanks for the help.
I used VLC player as I am using a MAC but the same method was used to get the delay set in MS. Once that was synced I entered that number which was -2900ms in MKVToolNix and REMUXED it again. Plays perfect now.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know its old but wow Dunkirk has some crazy bass. Watched it at -6, had this whole room shaking with the tv36's. Up there with godzilla KOTM. I noticed that on this thread it says bad clipping beside Dunkirk. What does that mean exactly? Was the source recorded with clipping or does it make less capable subs clip a lot? sorry im new with all this stuff.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I know its old but wow Dunkirk has some crazy bass. Watched it at -6, had this whole room shaking with the tv36's. Up there with godzilla KOTM. I noticed that on this thread it says bad clipping beside Dunkirk. What does that mean exactly? Was the source recorded with clipping or does it make less capable subs clip a lot? sorry im new with all this stuff.

It's recorded with clipping, see Interstellar as another example

16461 - 16480 of 18609 Posts