AVS Forum banner

17881 - 17900 of 18589 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
We need someone to post a graph of the Atmos track for WotW. Ralph Potts here on AVS says the LFE on the Atmos track is lacking compared to the DTS-HD.

Matthew Hartman over on HighDefDigest says in the comments of his review that he compared the 4K's Atmos and the Bluray's DTS-HD of "every major action sequence ... and felt as a uniform experience the Atmos was much better than the old DTS 5.1 including better LFE presence."

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/83000/waroftheworlds4kultrahdbluray.html

Greetings,

I read that review. Matt seems like a very nice guy. I checked his equipment list and he reviews discs using a Pioneer Atmos Soundbar system:

Pioneer Surround Elite Atmos Soundbar FS-EB70

I don't mean to disparage anyone's set up, to each his own but, there's no way to competently review audio tracks like the one of War of the Worlds using a system with such limited capability.

This might explain his findings.

Regards,
That's bad considering he's reviewing audio performance of these discs and giving it a score. No way he can tell audio quality with that setup. I've never gone to that site and definitely have no reason now.

Also, if the ULF in the 4K version of War of the Worlds is neutered, then that is very disappointing and a pass for me. I really don't want to BEQ everything because a lot of studios are incompetent and continue mishandling audio. Sigh.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Anybody watch Sonic the Hedgehog? There is a pretty crazy 20hz sweep in that movie that is Hot!
I watched it the other day and it has the trifecta for

funny
family friendly
lots of bass

I rented it for the family and was impressed. That turtle scene in the beginning was great! I will have to buy the UHD when it is on sale.

FYI Redbox has this movie in UHD if your area rents UHD discs.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Greetings,

I read that review. Matt seems like a very nice guy. I checked his equipment list and he reviews discs using a Pioneer Atmos Soundbar system:

Pioneer Surround Elite Atmos Soundbar FS-EB70

I don't mean to disparage anyone's set up, to each his own but, there's no way to competently review audio tracks like the one of War of the Worlds using a system with such limited capability.

This might explain his findings.

Regards,
Yeah, a soundbar with a very small sub is more of a small living room or a bedroom system, certainly not for serious home theaters and enthusiasts. HighDefDigest really needs to set their bar much higher and insist that titles like this be reserved only for reviewers with adequate setups. I'm quite disappointed to discover this was how they reviewed it. It's like testing the speed of a new Ferrari by taking it sight seeing on a 30 MPH road. Intentional or not, it is in no way an accurate reflection of how it truly performs, IMHO.

Reactions: Scarriere

·
Registered
217 Posts
Has anyone seen if the redo of Days of Thunder was equally as successful as the Top Gun UHD? If they even marginally similar success to TG then it will be an absolute MUST purchase for me. I love that movie.
Strangely DoT UHD doesn't have immersive audio. I don't understand why they left this one out and gave the others the Atmos treatment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As per this only review so far apparently PQ is good.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
There was/are a plethora of DVD and BD reviews but there are very few UHD reviews to pick from so when there is a sub par reviewer it is hard to find an alternate. I am only aware of Highdefdigest.com and bluray.com are there any others?
As @SuperFist stated, Ralph Potts here on AVSForum.com provides the best reviews possible. His reviews are always insightful and are based off a technical analysis. He also has the right equipment to do a competent review.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks. That's the main reason I was thinking of getting it. But was hoping it was at least a movie I could see myself watching more than once in a dedicated fashion (i.e. - not streamed or on TV). That's kinda my cut-off criteria for adding movies to my collection.
I caught on TV through crappy active speaker. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie even with essentially no audio (), and I kept imagine how awesome the action scenes would sound on a proper system. Right after I added to to my wish list. If you enjoy movies like Battle: LA or Battleship, in other words, popcorn action movies, you may enjoy this as well. Disclaimer: I enjoy plenty of dumb action movies, like the Red Dawn remake, to give you a point of reference.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, a soundbar with a very small sub is more of a small living room or a bedroom system, certainly not for serious home theaters and enthusiasts. HighDefDigest really needs to set their bar much higher and insist that titles like this be reserved only for reviewers with adequate setups. I'm quite disappointed to discover this was how they reviewed it. It's like testing the speed of a new Ferrari by taking it sight seeing on a 30 MPH road. Intentional or not, it is in no way an accurate reflection of how it truly performs, IMHO.

Lol! I think it’s more like driving a Prius on a road course and using your imagination to fill in the blanks for what it would be like driving the Ferrari on the same course.
What a joke. That guy needs his reviewer card revoked. The only way that’s even ok is if it’s made very clear that the review is based on the foundation of a soundbar and fartbox.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I watched the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones last night and wow does the bass not dissapoint. I had it lower than normal but i could still hear rattles from the shelves. The UHD Disc does not disappoint in audio nor in video. This might be the best UHD content i have ever seen. I wonder if you guys did a graph of this episode or any from season 8.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I watched the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones last night and wow does the bass not dissapoint. I had it lower than normal but i could still hear rattles from the shelves. The UHD Disc does not disappoint in audio nor in video. This might be the best UHD content i have ever seen. I wonder if you guys did a graph of this episode or any from season 8.
The only one I know is from the BEQ thread, but he plots them all in one graph. Just try to distinguish the dashed green lines from around 30Hz on down as those are the untouched bass from all of those episodes.

BassEQ Game of Thrones (2011) Season 8 Atmos

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a great idea for a movie, well at least the title for one...Listening to the tv with regards to the pandemic and heard about how to become a "Contact Tracker"...just a matter of time until it hits the big screen! :cool:

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
747 Posts

interesting...looks like version of Michael Douglas "Falling down"

Femi

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Reactions: femi

·
Registered
910 Posts
The only one I know is from the BEQ thread, but he plots them all in one graph. Just try to distinguish the dashed green lines from around 30Hz on down as those are the untouched bass from all of those episodes.
Those are pretty solid, nice to know TV is starting to keep up with Hollywood.

17881 - 17900 of 18589 Posts