AVS Forum banner

18141 - 18160 of 18650 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
No @jsgrise , I am with you. The Atmos was nice, but maybe a moment or two...
The Atmos is very nice as far as clarity, steering and everything, but damn the bass is as weak as it gets...

Reactions: lizrussspike

·
Registered
612 Posts
Is it me or they forgot the bass completly on the Top Gun Atmos track? What a disappointment compared to the DTS-HD track...
definitely toned down the bass compared to the dts 6.1 mix. the cockpit ejection scene and last two explosions in the final battle still carry some weight but yeah I want the afterburners to peel my face off and they just don't. The music however sounds better than ever!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Is it me or they forgot the bass completly on the Top Gun Atmos track? What a disappointment compared to the DTS-HD track...
Yes, they neutered the bass. Requires BEQ to get it back.

Reactions: jsgrise

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just watched Skyfall. Really good mix, with nice lows and strong bass when needed. Nothing over the top, the building explosion felt strong and sudden, the metro station and the house explosion had really nice depth.
Love Skyfall. One of the most gorgeous examples of cinematography ever.

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
What's the audio like on the new Top Gun 4k, is it as good as the picture ?
The Atmos track is very engaging and a fun listen. Unfortunately, they didn’t include the same bass track that is on the Blu-ray release. It’s quite noticeable.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
You miss all that overcooked distortion & clipping?

·
Registered
233 Posts
We maybe considering a new home soon and was going to Spec out an Atmos setup. The more I'm reading in this thread through makes me think it may not be worth it at the expense of bass.

A buddy of mine says he prefers Auro 3d to Atmos. Anyone else feel this way?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
What's the audio like on the new Top Gun 4k, is it as good as the picture ?
The afterburners don't carry the same weight as the old blu ray. It's really evident right in the opening scene. The overall track is still a great listen with the immersive aerial battles and the music really shines. If you have BEQ it definitely helps!

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
625 Posts
We maybe considering a new home soon and was going to Spec out an Atmos setup. The more I'm reading in this thread through makes me think it may not be worth it at the expense of bass.

My opinion, Atmos setup is worth it. The problem is some of the re-issues with upgraded sound mixes neutering the bass. Disney is famous for this. There are movies released with proper mixes of Atmos and great bass. Ready Player One, Alita Battle Angel, Blade Runner 2049, Hacksaw Ridge, Invisible Man as examples. Even though the recent 4k release of War of the Worlds new Atmos mix neutered the bass, the Atmos effect and clarity of sound is well worth it for me. Then there is when setup for Atmos you can use DTSX and the Neural X upmixing. The incredible Hulk is a great example of incredible bass and amazing clarity of sound bubble. Underwater regular Blu-Ray only has DTS HD 7.1 but the Neural X upmix of that movie rivals some of the best Atmos mixes and the bass in that movie will impress. Don't sacrifice your setup just because some movies don't deliver the goods.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My opinion, Atmos setup is worth it. The problem is some of the re-issues with upgraded sound mixes neutering the bass. Disney is famous for this. There are movies released with proper mixes of Atmos and great bass. Ready Player One, Alita Battle Angel, Blade Runner 2049, Hacksaw Ridge, Invisible Man as examples. Even though the recent 4k release of War of the Worlds new Atmos mix neutered the bass, the Atmos effect and clarity of sound is well worth it for me. Then there is when setup for Atmos you can use DTSX and the Neural X upmixing. The incredible Hulk is a great example of incredible bass and amazing clarity of sound bubble. Underwater regular Blu-Ray only has DTS HD 7.1 but the Neural X upmix of that movie rivals some of the best Atmos mixes and the bass in that movie will impress. Don't sacrifice your setup just because some movies don't deliver the goods.
Thank you for the response.

Its examples like this that just keeps the excitement going for home theater. Inmiat admit a bigger home is something we have been discussing, by my wife knows I want a dedicated area other than the living room for home theater and music with a new home.

I may post some photos of the loft I want to utilize for this purpose so I can get some feedback on speaker placement .

Cheers!

·
Registered
233 Posts

Its examples like this that just keeps the excitement going for home theater. I admit a bigger home is something we have been discussing, by my wife knows I want a dedicated area other than the living room for home theater and music with a new home.

I may post some photos of the loft I want to utilize for this purpose so I can get some feedback on speaker placement .

Cheers!

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
6,613 Posts

Its examples like this that just keeps the excitement going for home theater. Inmiat admit a bigger home is something we have been discussing, by my wife knows I want a dedicated area other than the living room for home theater and music with a new home.

Cheers!

Dedicated Atmos Thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1574386-official-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version.html

·
Registered
7,378 Posts

I love Atmos and Neural X, having ceiling speakers is a significant upgrade IMO. It's not the biggest upgrade I've ever made but it has certainly been very worthwhile. Bass can be added back in with BEQ and running subs hot. But if you don't have ceiling speakers then you can't get that overhead immersion effect.

I'll say it like this, I would never go without my ceiling speakers after having experienced them.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Guys, I want to emphasize the awesomeness of The Fourth Phase again, a movie about extreme snowboarding with Travis Rice. This is one of THE premiere Atmos/Bass movies of this forum, or it should be! This documentary should be right along side the ones like Planet Earth and Life as it has interesting tidbits about nature, but it's better because it's like a mixture of a Rock/Metal video with awesome visuals, audio and ridonkulous bass! The LFE/ULF has chest slam, couch slam and house slam! :cool:

I don't say this often, but this one is definitely worth a purchase! Even the damn logo, studio trailers leading up to the movie are awesome.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fourth-Phase-4K-Blu-ray/164638/
(Ah crap... it looks like the 4K isn't being shipped to the U.S. anymore. :()

The Fourth Phase is FANTASTIC!!! Truly immersive Dolby Atmos with Bass Boom for your Room! :eek:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Guys, I want to emphasize the awesomeness of The Fourth Phase again, a movie about extreme snowboarding with Travis Rice. This is one of THE premiere Atmos/Bass movies of this forum, or it should be! This documentary should be right along side the ones like Planet Earth and Life as it has interesting tidbits about nature, but it's better because it's like a mixture of a Rock/Metal video with awesome visuals, audio and ridonkulous bass! The LFE/ULF has chest slam, couch slam and house slam! :cool:

I don't say this often, but this one is definitely worth a purchase! Even the damn logo, studio trailers leading up to the movie are awesome.
(Ah crap... it looks like the 4K isn't being shipped to the U.S. anymore. :()
Do you have The Art of Flight? I put it a little ahead of The Fourth Phase.

18141 - 18160 of 18650 Posts