AVS Forum banner

18161 - 18180 of 19155 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Agreed, I enjoyed The Art of Flight (much) more than The Fourth Phase. Tonnes of demo worthy scenes in both though!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Guys, I want to emphasize the awesomeness of The Fourth Phase again, a movie about extreme snowboarding with Travis Rice. This is one of THE premiere Atmos/Bass movies of this forum, or it should be! This documentary should be right along side the ones like Planet Earth and Life as it has interesting tidbits about nature, but it's better because it's like a mixture of a Rock/Metal video with awesome visuals, audio and ridonkulous bass! The LFE/ULF has chest slam, couch slam and house slam! :cool:

I don't say this often, but this one is definitely worth a purchase! Even the damn logo, studio trailers leading up to the movie are awesome.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fourth-Phase-4K-Blu-ray/164638/
(Ah crap... it looks like the 4K isn't being shipped to the U.S. anymore. :()
that is quite hot around 20hz. time to find a copy!

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Your in for a treat! I have them both and I like The Art of Flight a little more. The DTS intro (I think it was a DTS) is pretty sweet too. Haven’t watched it for a while.
Yep, Art of Flight is a great audio treat. It's definitely worth having so you can pop it in and watch it when you want to hear audio done right. But I haven't watched it in a while either. I will have to watch it soon.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yep, Art of Flight is a great audio treat. It's definitely worth having so you can pop it in and watch it when you want to hear audio done right. But I haven't watched it in a while either. I will have to watch it soon.
Agreed. The visuals are amazing too, a 4k would be sweet but not sure how much better it could get. Just a great demo disc.

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
AoF and Fourth Phase are both phenomenal all around. Reference A/V on both and both films are fantastic IMO. JVC even chose to use AoF to demo their new projector line at Cedia the year that film hit blu ray which is a very nice endorsement to the PQ.

I also HIGHLY recommend another extreme sports film I watched last night for those who have not seen it called Free Solo. It's a rock climbing film about Alex Honnold who is the first and only climber to climb El Capitan with no ropes or Safety equipment of any kind. Absolutely mind blowing accomplishment! I assume there is zero bass in this film (I didnt watch in my HT), but I cant recommend it enough.

I rented the DVD from Netflix, but it can be streamed I think from one of the streaming Services. There is a blu ray, but its region B so you need a region free player to play it which I dont have. There is also a 4k UHD disc available for import and UHD discs are region free thankfully. After watching the DVD last night, I went and bought the 4k disc and cant wait to watch again in my HT (watched on my small plasma last night).

EDIT: Just did a search to see if anyone reviewed the 4k disc and Bill Hunt did. Sounds like he liked the film as much as I did. :)

Free Solo (4K UHD Review)
https://thedigitalbits.com/item/free-solo-german-uhd

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
AoF and Fourth Phase are both phenomenal all around. Reference A/V on both and both films are fantastic IMO. JVC even chose to use AoF to demo their new projector line at Cedia the year that film hit blu ray which is a very nice endorsement to the PQ.

I also HIGHLY recommend another extreme sports film I watched last night for those who have not seen it called Free Solo. It's a rock climbing film about Alex Honnold who is the first and only climber to climb El Capitan with no ropes or Safety equipment of any kind. Absolutely mind blowing accomplishment! I assume there is zero bass in this film (I didnt watch in my HT), but I cant recommend it enough.

I rented the DVD from Netflix, but it can be streamed I think from one of the streaming Services. There is a blu ray, but its region B so you need a region free player to play it which I dont have. There is also a 4k UHD disc available for import and UHD discs are region free thankfully. After watching the DVD last night, I went and bought the 4k disc and cant wait to watch again in my HT (watched on my small plasma last night).
Absolutely! Free Solo is one of the most amazing extreme sport videos I've ever seen. You can stream it on Disney+ which is where I watched it. I didn't even pay attention to the audio because I was so enthralled with the story but I don't remember the audio as anything special. However, what is special is the story.... that combined with the athleticism, sacrifice, courage, commitment, discipline and just plain insanity involved in Alex accomplishing this feat makes it well worth watching.

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
Absolutely! Free Solo is one of the most amazing extreme sport videos I've ever seen. You can stream it on Disney+ which is where I watched it. I didn't even pay attention to the audio because I was so enthralled with the story but I don't remember the audio as anything special. However, what is special is the story.... that combined with the athleticism, sacrifice, courage, commitment, discipline and just plain insanity involved in Alex accomplishing this feat makes it well worth watching.
Well said! It's such a crazy thing to watch. I mean, you know he makes it but it's still unbelievable that he does and I literally sat there watching it with my palms sweating and a knot in my stomach! :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys, I want to emphasize the awesomeness of The Fourth Phase again, a movie about extreme snowboarding with Travis Rice. This is one of THE premiere Atmos/Bass movies of this forum, or it should be! This documentary should be right along side the ones like Planet Earth and Life as it has interesting tidbits about nature, but it's better because it's like a mixture of a Rock/Metal video with awesome visuals, audio and ridonkulous bass! The LFE/ULF has chest slam, couch slam and house slam! /forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

I don't say this often, but this one is definitely worth a purchase! Even the damn logo, studio trailers leading up to the movie are awesome.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fourth-Phase-4K-Blu-ray/164638/
(Ah crap... it looks like the 4K isn't being shipped to the U.S. anymore. /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif)

The Fourth Phase is FANTASTIC!!! Truly immersive Dolby Atmos with Bass Boom for your Room! /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Guys, I want to emphasize the awesomeness of The Fourth Phase again, a movie about extreme snowboarding with Travis Rice. This is one of THE premiere Atmos/Bass movies of this forum, or it should be! This documentary should be right along side the ones like Planet Earth and Life as it has interesting tidbits about nature, but it's better because it's like a mixture of a Rock/Metal video with awesome visuals, audio and ridonkulous bass! The LFE/ULF has chest slam, couch slam and house slam! /forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

(Ah crap... it looks like the 4K isn't being shipped to the U.S. anymore. /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif)
Do you have The Art of Flight? I put it a little ahead of The Fourth Phase.

EDIT: Just did a search to see if anyone reviewed the 4k disc and Bill Hunt did. Sounds like he liked the film as much as I did. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Free Solo (4K UHD Review)
https://thedigitalbits.com/item/free-solo-german-uhd
All 3 incoming ! 🙄

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just watched WOTW on 4k. Knew going in the bass was going to be less. Still enjoyable with the Atmos upgrade but still disappointing studios keep releasing 4k versions with dumb downed bass for soundbar users.
join the club!!

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well said! It's such a crazy thing to watch. I mean, you know he makes it but it's still unbelievable that he does and I literally sat there watching it with my palms sweating and a knot in my stomach! :eek:
Free Solo almost made me start biting my nails again.

Reactions: Toe and richardsim7

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thank you for the response.

Its examples like this that just keeps the excitement going for home theater. I admit a bigger home is something we have been discussing, by my wife knows I want a dedicated area other than the living room for home theater and music with a new home.

I may post some photos of the loft I want to utilize for this purpose so I can get some feedback on speaker placement .

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm a little late to the responses on your post, but thought I'd toss my input in. If you get something like SVS Elevations or a similar speaker mounted up high vs actually in the ceiling you can do a X.X.4 setup and it will give you Atmos, DTS:X, and it will ALSO give you Auro3D. Auro can NOT use actual in ceiling speakers (except for some center of the room "voice of god" channel. I'm also not sure how it reacts to 6 middle of the ceiling Atmos speakers (x.x.6 setup). Auro expects the front and rear heights to be in the corners vs on ceiling but those locations also are acceptable for Atmos and DTS:X. I find Auro3D really nice for upmixing 2ch music audio. It's much more subtle and natural sounding to me than DSU or DTS.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Had a great bass weekend. Watched the Charlie's Angels reboot (or whatever it is), the movie was definitely not anything to write home about but did have some decent bass at times (blu-ray from Netflix so it had DTS Master instead of Atmos). Also had Birds of Prey which I really enjoyed, and that had some great bass (and was in Atmos as well).

Finally, watched my recent blu-ray purchase of WotW. WOW I haven't watched that in it's entirety since probably shortly after the Christmas of the year the DVD would have been released (dual disc special edition with the DTS track). So not only was it like watching it for the first time but man the bass was definitely worth it and blows the DVD away. The DVD was decent when I tested it on my current system, and definitely a lot better than when I originally watched it on my old Velodyne CT-80 sub back in the early 2000's but the blu-ray and my PB2000 were just such a massive upgrade for that movie's soundtrack.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My problem is I completely ignore the movie plot and I'm constantly assessing whether or not the bass sounds good throughout the movie. Ask me what happened in the movie. I won't know, but I can tell you which scenes had great bass

·
Registered
420 Posts
Again...thanks to the group for recommending "The Invisible Man". Typically I don't play these types of movies due to the "reference level jump scare" but this one was good.:cool:

·
Registered
648 Posts
My problem is I completely ignore the movie plot and I'm constantly assessing whether or not the bass sounds good throughout the movie. Ask me what happened in the movie. I won't know, but I can tell you which scenes had great bass
I tend to do the opposite. I get so wrapped up in the plot that I don't listen for the particular bass or sound effect that people talk about and miss it. :(

18161 - 18180 of 19155 Posts