AVS Forum banner

18201 - 18220 of 19191 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
There was some discussion a couple weeks ago about the video and someone mentioned that the look on the Blu Ray is the intended look by the person that filmed the movie. Apparently that washed out overexposed look is their filming style. I don't know how accurate that is but I seem to remember it looked about the same on the DVD as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just like the DVD, then the BD, and finally the UHD of The Matrix are all what the directors intended yet each one is noticeably different? Does anyone have a problem with this non intended look if it does look better? I wonder if it was changed due to HDR or simply because a different person did the transfer.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Just like the DVD, then the BD, and finally the UHD of The Matrix are all what the directors intended yet each one is noticeably different? Does anyone have a problem with this non intended look if it does look better? I wonder if it was changed due to HDR or simply because a different person did the transfer.
I can tell you what I think about it, but I don't know if it will help you at all.

I was rather taken aback by discovering this when it was first mentioned. I hungrily viewed screenshot comparisons and asked, "Why!?" in disgust.

But after receiving the UHDs and watching them all in succession, I honestly didn't even notice it. And it's clearly the best those movies have ever LOOKED and SOUNDED (I still remember seeing them all in the theater)! If you and anyone else hasn't seen these since you've last watched the regular Blu-rays, do yourselves a favor and pick this set up and sit in amazement like you're witnessing the Matrix Trilogy for the very first time! :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
I can tell you what I think about it, but I don't know if it will help you at all.

I was rather taken aback by discovering this when it was first mentioned. I hungrily viewed screenshot comparisons and asked, "Why!?" in disgust.

But after receiving the UHDs and watching them all in succession, I honestly didn't even notice it. And it's clearly the best those movies have ever LOOKED and SOUNDED (I still remember seeing them all in the theater)! If you and anyone else hasn't seen these since you've last watched the regular Blu-rays, do yourselves a favor and pick this set up and sit in amazement like you're witnessing the Matrix Trilogy for the very first time! :D
I had the opposite reaction. The DVD was fine, but i bought The Matrix BD, watched it once and never wanted to rewatch it. Until the UHD came out i never realized it was because of the drab green the original BD had.

Side question. In the Matrix reloaded, Neo and Trinity are a couple and yet in Zion scenes Neo and Trinity have a thirsty make out session in the elevator. Are we to believe Morpheus had a no sex policy on the Nebuchadnezzar? It seems very odd since they were on the ship together as a couple.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I had the opposite reaction. The DVD was fine, but i bought The Matrix BD, watched it once and never wanted to rewatch it. Until the UHD came out i never realized it was because of the drab green the original BD had.

Side question. In the Matrix reloaded, Neo and Trinity are a couple and yet in Zion scenes Neo and Trinity have a thirsty make out session in the elevator. Are we to believe Morpheus had a no sex policy on the Nebuchadnezzar? It seems very odd since they were on the ship together as a couple.
Neo was "The One," rules need not apply to him.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
They shared the same bed on the ship. So maybe they were at it all the time and just could not wait to get at it again. ;)

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

Completely agree! I never was a big fan but I lost count how many times I watched the UHD version. Its' just that good of an audio visual p..rn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@SuperFist
Another one you might like in the same arena as the other two snowboarding movies is Supervention. It is a European produced movie shot mainly with Cinedrone heavy lift drones with Red Epic cameras. Not the base powerhouse like the other two but awesome none the less.:D

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
701 Posts
Watched Spiderman Far From Home last night. I came away thinking the bass was lacking. I come home today and looked back there and saw the power cable out again. Damn Effin Cats!!! The left front sub is the one where there is more that enough room in the area for the cats to jump and wrestle. I guess now I will just have to watch the movie again. Oh well it was a good one.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Watched Spiderman Far From Home last night. I came away thinking the bass was lacking. I come home today and looked back there and saw the power cable out again. Damn Effin Cats!!! The left front sub is the one where there is more that enough room in the area for the cats to jump and wrestle. I guess now I will just have to watch the movie again. Oh well it was a good one.
You won’t be disappointed the second go around - it has some great bass.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Watched Riddick today and boy did it have some great bass, unfortunately, it falls off pretty quickly after 30 hz! With that said, it still has some good kick. It’s also one of the best looking Blu’s out there and has great surround usage. Pitch Black is definitely better, but Riddick at least brings it back to its roots.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

I watched The Matrix literally hundreds of times in every format. So glad they released in 4K with atmos!

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Watched Riddick today and boy did it have some great bass, unfortunately, it falls off pretty quickly after 30 hz! With that said, it still has some good kick. It’s also one of the best looking Blu’s out there and has great surround usage. Pitch Black is definitely better, but Riddick at least brings it back to its roots.
Umm! Should be solid down to 15hz. Our very own @flimmixer did that one;)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
@SuperFist
Another one you might like in the same arena as the other two snowboarding movies is Supervention. It is a European produced movie shot mainly with Cinedrone heavy lift drones with Red Epic cameras. Not the base powerhouse like the other two but awesome none the less.:D
Thanks for the recommend, brother!

Supervention (2013) is awesome! I just wish Supervention II (2016) 4K also had English subtitles so I could order it.

(And, actually bass-wise, this might even be better than The Fourth Phase and The Art Of Flight without BEQ, if you focus on the heat map. :eek:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
To do list:

Cats---gone.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I watched Color Out of Space last night. Even though it was only the streaming version the bass and ULF was solid. Solid enough horror movie to keep the viewer engaged. This is not another Nic Cage being Nic Cage flick, but a good story and directed by Richard Stanley based on a HP Lovecraft story. My only complaint is it is visual like Annihilation but there was no HDR. Even the UHD disc is SDR.

You guys will feel the bass starting with the ominous sounds during the opening credits and then every time they show the "meteor" they have ULF.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I watched Color Out of Space last night.

My only complaint is it is visual like Annihilation but there was no HDR. Even the UHD disc is SDR.
Wow, I didn't think HDR-less UHD on disc was a thing. I know Netflix has some shows that are 4K without HDR and vice-versa HDR without 4K, but I didn't think there were discs that were that way.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Wow, I didn't think HDR-less UHD on disc was a thing. I know Netflix has some shows that are 4K without HDR and vice-versa HDR without 4K, but I didn't think there were discs that were that way.
Stranger Things on UHD disc is also without HDR.

18201 - 18220 of 19191 Posts