AVS Forum banner

18301 - 18320 of 18609 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just remember that most streaming movies neuter the bass. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. I have not yet found a 4K Atmos movie where the streaming version is equal to the disc and many times the really good stuff (low frequency or high SPL punch) is just plain missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed, If it is an action movie with good audio i will buy the movie versus streaming version. Although sometimes the deals are cheap enough i will buy streaming versions. Hopefully in the future streaming gets better audio support to match the video.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Weird. The mix never sounded brutal or demolishing, which you would expect from that kind of action. At -7 my room should be crumbling, but no. It was just alright .

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
Yea, something is off....Midway has a very dynamic soundtrack.....midbass and all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I was about to purchase my 4K/UHD of Midway (2019) when I read a post on blu-ray.com
warning that the ATMOS audio track was not available on the 4K/UHD or the HD/Bluray version in Canada.

Sure enough, I checked with BestBuy.ca and Amazon.ca
...I ended up purchasing the 4K/UHD Steelbook from Zavvi (UK)

I posted a warning here and again on Ralph's review thread (where he scored the ATMOS track a perfect 100)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts-568.html#post59214270

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/3122818-midway-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.html

Graph and Heat Map from the BEQ thread:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
@AmerCa Here is a link to my first impressions of Midway after I got it. I know you are in Mexico, does your disc release have the same English Atmos track found in the US? Atmos surround mix was great and that bass was bonkers in my room.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts-571.html#post59265316
Great review, Joshua. I have the US 4k version, although watching the BD, which has the same (?) ATMOS track. Now you guys have me worried, because my experience does nor match the heat map nor Ralph and other's impressions in this thread. The heat map is similar to Aquaman, which at -16 is already relentless in my room. I can't verify the 4k disc, so I hope this is only an issue with my BD.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Midway (2019)

I blind bought it based on the stellar reviews on the audio, and as a continuation to the Pearl Harbor story, what could go wrong? I love Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor, and this movie seemed like another audiovisual spectacle. The dialogue was mixed very low so I had to bump it to -10 to better hear it. But the overall audio still seemed low, so I bumped it to -7, which is the highest I've went for a movie in I don't know how much time. It still didn't sound good. I was getting louder bass, but there's no mid-bass or any kind of higher frequencies to provide impact. There's nothing visceral to this track.

You could say there's plenty of bass, but it's kind of one note and undefined, the movie sounds pretty much all the same all the time, with no real attention to detail, or anything noteworthy. It has its moments, for sure, especially in the last half of the movie, but nothing truly exciting. I was almost bored by it, if you can believe it. I'd say the mix oscillates between good to very good, but nothing deserving the top marks it seems to be getting everywhere. As a result, I didn't enjoy the movie as I expected to. It's good, but I'd recommend a rental first, if possible. If someone has a different experience with the audio mix, I'd like to hear it.
I mentioned the muted higher frequencies here...

Not necessarily, but I did feel like the highs were somewhat muted compared to other stellar releases; something I don't see anyone else commenting on. So with regard to frequencies, I guess they were aiming neither too high nor too low... you might even say midway. :rolleyes:
And geocab concurred...

I thought the same about the upper frequencies.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

And geocab concurred...
I would agree with this - I haven’t watched the full movie, but popped it in to check since @AmerCa mentioned the dynamics. It doesn’t sound bad by any means, but somewhat clustered would be how I could describe it. I was expecting a more dynamic sound to the bullet arrays flying at the airplanes, but they didn’t have that high frequency whiz that I normally experience.

It does have some stellar ULF in the scenes I watched and now I want to watch the whole thing to fully feel it, lol.

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

And geocab concurred...
I would agree with this - I haven’t watched the full movie, but popped it in to check since @AmerCa mentioned the dynamics. It doesn’t sound bad by any means, but somewhat clustered would be how I could describe it. I was expecting a more dynamic sound to the bullet arrays flying at the airplanes, but they didn’t have that high frequency whiz that I normally experience.

It does have some stellar ULF in the scenes I watched and now I want to watch the whole thing to fully feel it, lol.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. So, maybe that's how it's supposed to sound. I'm about to spin it with the Dolby Digital track. I'll report back.

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
So, maybe that's how it's supposed to sound.
That can always be debated as it's usually in the hands of the sound mixer or re-recording mixer. I would be willing to bet money the higher frequency fidelity would shine if FilmMixer actually did it!

One thing I can say is the bass is monstrous, which is mainly what dazzled those who viewed it. There is a ULF presence that never really lets up throughout the battle scenes that almost bothered my inner ear as the pressure was rather overwhelming.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nice! I'm likely about the same......but I don't have any shelves yet, I REALLY need to get on that LOL. Mine are mostly stacked on the floor in another room about waist high >.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That can always be debated as it's usually in the hands of the sound mixer or re-recording mixer. I would be willing to bet money the higher frequency fidelity would shine if FilmMixer actually did it!.
I was thinking in Power Rangers and Fury when I was reading your comment. I agree.

OK, here's what I did. I watched the first 15 minutes of Midway in Spanish DD51 at -15MV. Dialogue was still low, but was more conformable to listen to. I also liked the bass and overall sound better. I then switched to the ATMOS track and went back to the beginning of chapter two, that's the beginning of the Pearl Harbor attack, to the moment went the pilot ejects from the plane, that's around the 00:15:00 mark. It sounded better than I remembered, but not as good as the Spanish DD. I went back to beginning of chapter two, Spanish DD, this time at -11 (+4db). Louder and more impactful, although it definitely still misses the mid-high frequencies, but not bad.

Again, switched to ATMOS track, -11MV (+4db), same section (10 - 15 minutes). Not bad, but the DD still sounded better. The plane crashing into the ship was louder and more impactful. Same for the moment the bomb is dropped into the ship, and then the ship is around to fall down. Also when the pilots are shot and bullets clash with metal, the sound was crispier and impactful. The difference is not night and day, and it's not a scientific test, but the Dolby track pleased my ears more.

Now, knowing what NOT to expect, and enjoying the ATMOS track (and Dolby Digital) for what it is, yes, it definitely has plenty of bass, and it's very enjoyable. It just doesn't have the sound qualities I expected it to have. The movie sounds drowned in bass, but lacks a more balanced mix for a more satisfying experience. I'm going to finish it with the ATMOS track, and I'll watch it in full Spanish another day, just to complete the comparison.

I'm bumping it the MV at -7 to finish the movie ,which was the same as yesterday.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Muted highs being discussed, possible different tweeter sound signatures? I looked up what @AmerCa speakers were in his signature. I see his are soft dome tweeters as mine are titanium dome tweeters. JBL speakers have been accused of being bright. I also noticed his main speakers are 6ohm vs my 8ohm and his sensitivity are lower than mine. With that I have more dynamic range with less power requirements? Could that help explain some of the muted highs? One last thing is concerning Atmos mix itself and speaker arrangement. With Atmos using all speakers for "3-D" placement instead of a sound directed at a certain channel could some sound be adversely affected?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Muted highs being discussed, possible different tweeter sound signatures? I looked up what @AmerCa speakers were in his signature. I see his are soft dome tweeters as mine are titanium dome tweeters. JBL speakers have been accused of being bright. I also noticed his main speakers are 6ohm vs my 8ohm and his sensitivity are lower than mine. With that I have more dynamic range with less power requirements? Could that help explain some of the muted highs? One last thing is concerning Atmos mix itself and speaker arrangement. With Atmos using all speakers for "3-D" placement instead of a sound directed at a certain channel could some sound be adversely affected?
I knew this would come up as I was initially thinking the same thing, but you can pretty much put any movie in and compare it to Midway during its battle scenes... for example Fury, Hacksaw Ridge, Unbroken or Overlord (trying to pick war movies) and compare the high frequencies. If you listen attentively, you'll definitely notice a difference.

I didn't have a problem with hearing the dialogue, I just eventually noticed that the quality of the high frequencies didn't sound as crisp or lively as other films.

Don't take my word for it... test it out and see for yourself.

And if you don't notice it, I don't mind faulting my system as everyone pretty much knows it's more of a budget slap-dash than what most of you fine gentlemen have!
;) Either that or the ULF is just numbing my ears to the point where I can't hear the higher frequencies! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
With Atmos using all speakers for "3-D" placement instead of a sound directed at a certain channel could some sound be adversely affected?
When no ATMOS speakers are configured, only the Dolby TrueHD core audio will be played in a 5.1/7.1 system.
ATMOS meta data will remain in the bed layer speakers instead of being extracted to at least 2 height/overhead (aka 5.1.2)

:nerd:

·
Registered
619 Posts
I knew this would come up as I was initially thinking the same thing, but you can pretty much put any movie in and compare it to Midway during its battle scenes... for example Fury, Hacksaw Ridge, Unbroken or Overlord (trying to pick war movies) and compare the high frequencies. If you listen attentively, you'll definitely notice a difference.

I didn't have a problem with hearing the dialogue, I just eventually noticed that the quality of the high frequencies didn't sound as crisp or lively as other films.

Don't take my word for it... test it out and see for yourself.

And if you don't notice it, I don't mind faulting my system as everyone pretty much knows it's more of a budget slap-dash than what most of you fine gentlemen have!
;) Either that or the ULF is just numbing my ears to the point where I can't hear the higher frequencies! :rolleyes: :D
I apologize if I came across as "system faulting". That was not my intention but to point out differences. I mentioned JBLs have been accused of being bright. Other terms bright, harsh, fatiguing. Not exactly terms of quality but may be a difference that makes a difference in this film. I did re-watch some scenes last night of Midway. The only thing I can think of is the bullets have a different, but consistent, whizzing by sound compared to other movies. I found the mix to be just as enjoyable as I remembered and watched the whole Midway battle again.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I apologize if I came across as "system faulting". That was not my intention but to point out differences. I mentioned JBLs have been accused of being bright. Other terms bright, harsh, fatiguing. Not exactly terms of quality but may be a difference that makes a difference in this film. I did re-watch some scenes last night of Midway. The only thing I can think of is the bullets have a different, but consistent, whizzing by sound compared to other movies. I found the mix to be just as enjoyable as I remembered and watched the whole Midway battle again.
I have Klipsch RF-7 II’s that are similar to your JBL’s in high sensitivity and they use a horn loaded 1.75” Titanium compression driver. I noticed what @AmerCa was talking about in the scenes I watched, so I wouldn’t say it’s completely a system issue.

With that said, I didn’t think it was egregious, nor did I find it took away from my enjoyment of the film. To that end, you could argue that system differences come in to play with how noticeable the issue is.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I apologize if I came across as "system faulting". I found the mix to be just as enjoyable as I remembered and watched the whole Midway battle again.
I never took that way, no problem, man. I understand where you were coming from.

With that said, I didn’t think it was egregious, nor did I find it took away from my enjoyment of the film.
Yeah, in watching a second time, it's absolutely enjoyable, and it's definitely a matter of sound presentation preference. Personally, I wouldn't consider a top notch sound mix, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it a lot, nor I'd say people who think it's awesome are wrong. Actually, in some way, it was nice to blast the volume on this one, at get all the bass fun without turning into a loudness mayhem. Those with plenty of headroom (everyone in here? Lol) and tactile devices are going to have blast for sure!

18301 - 18320 of 18609 Posts