AVS Forum banner

18321 - 18340 of 18975 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just finished Midway and i can confirm most of the high frequencies where like missing. I didn't noticed it at first but now that i read about it. Dialog was fine. Bass even thou most of it its in the 30hz, i felt some ULF that didn't show in the graphs to be at high levels. Will have to play again some scenes to see what exactly is going on.
There are some scenes where bass was unnecessary, but nothing compared to Underwater. Underwater is like, open door -> BASSSSSSSSS, a foot step is shown -> BAAAAASSSSSSS. Nothing happens -> BAAASSSSSSSS.

Next on the list is Hurricane heist and after that 1917. I've read the Hurricane heist is a bass fest, i hope it's not as bad as underwater.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I knew this would come up as I was initially thinking the same thing, but you can pretty much put any movie in and compare it to Midway during its battle scenes... for example Fury, Hacksaw Ridge, Unbroken or Overlord (trying to pick war movies) and compare the high frequencies. If you listen attentively, you'll definitely notice a difference.

I didn't have a problem with hearing the dialogue, I just eventually noticed that the quality of the high frequencies didn't sound as crisp or lively as other films.

Don't take my word for it... test it out and see for yourself.

And if you don't notice it, I don't mind faulting my system as everyone pretty much knows it's more of a budget slap-dash than what most of you fine gentlemen have!
;) Either that or the ULF is just numbing my ears to the point where I can't hear the higher frequencies! :rolleyes: :D
No need to fault your system. You could have a super expensive system and in your room it has dead zones that your receiver cannot fully make up for. Crap I was complaining about a lack of mid bass despite my SVS SB-2000 for over a year. Turns out I had the crossover at 60Hz because now i hear the mid bass as well. Of course this new found mid bass is making something in my basement rattle so I have to figure out what and silence it.

For me without BEQ i am going off what i hear and I have to listen for extended periods before i realize what is lacking so sometimes i tweak it and forget it causing me consternation later like my above example.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
There are some scenes where bass was unnecessary, but nothing compared to Underwater. Underwater is like, open door -> BASSSSSSSSS, a foot step is shown -> BAAAAASSSSSSS. Nothing happens -> BAAASSSSSSSS.
Lol! Really? That movie is on my wish list, but still not available. I hope it's not as bad as you say, because I'm really interested in the movie.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Joshua Chmiel

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just finished Midway and i can confirm most of the high frequencies where like missing. I didn't noticed it at first but now that i read about it. Dialog was fine. Bass even thou most of it its in the 30hz, i felt some ULF that didn't show in the graphs to be at high levels. Will have to play again some scenes to see what exactly is going on.

Next on the list is Hurricane heist and after that 1917. I've read the Hurricane heist is a bass fest, i hope it's not as bad as underwater.
reminds me of hot fuzz, everything had bass in it. was kind of a fun ride though. hurricane heist is a dumb movie, but a banger for sure. It's got some nice bass moments!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Lol! Really? That movie is on my wish list, but still not available. I hope it's not as bad as you say, because I'm really interested in the movie.

His explanation of Bass in Underwater is exactly like how I would describe Aquaman. I also didn't enjoy that movie much either. Underwater as a movie I thought was mey. It wasn't bad, not exactly good, just standard fare horror genre movie. A genre I don't seem to appreciate as most do. As far as the DTS-HD 7.1 soundmix is concerned though I consider it a top 20 to top 10 mix in my collection. I used my receiver's Neural X upmixer when I watched. It used my top speakers more heavily and accurately than some of Atmos mixed discs. Sound was very crisp and clean. Bass was even stronger. I mentioned in my original impressions here there was a scene that caused my ear drum to pulse and hurt like when you are driving fast and open a car window and get that weird pressurization effect. Here is my original thoughts.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts-595.html#post59623810

·
Registered
8,648 Posts

I had to stream it as for some reason it's not available from Redbox in may area. :(
Kind of liked the movie though. I had low expectations going in so it exceeded them. Not great, but not bad. It's short but the "stuff" starts right off the bat.

I've seen far worse- like the abomination that was "Birds of Prey". The worst movie I've seen in recent memory. Underwater is Academy material in comparison. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've read the Hurricane heist is a bass fest, i hope it's not as bad as underwater.
If you care about the movie beyond the bass, do not subject yourself to Hurricane Heist, although to be fair I only watched a few minutes of it and couldn't get past the main character's worst-ever southern accent (my credentials: I live in Mississippi and am surrounded by the real accent every day).

As I get older (and no doubt more curmudgeonly) I have less patience for dumb movies. Watched 6 Underground on Netflix the other day and was literally dumber by the end of it. There was also more thumpy music bass than explode-y bass. I should have stopped watching it, but my wife and I had agreed on it at the end of a long day at work and I was too tired to go through the hassle of picking out another movie.

Thanks everybody for the comments on Midway. I was excited about it but will now put it on the backburner and look at other movies first. Will probably look at 1917 instead. Surely there's a combination of good movie and good sound in that one, right?

Reactions: jamiebosco

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you care about the movie beyond the bass, do not subject yourself to Hurricane Heist, although to be fair I only watched a few minutes of it and couldn't get past the main character's worst-ever southern accent (my credentials: I live in Mississippi and am surrounded by the real accent every day).

As I get older (and no doubt more curmudgeonly) I have less patience for dumb movies. Watched 6 Underground on Netflix the other day and was literally dumber by the end of it. There was also more thumpy music bass than explode-y bass. I should have stopped watching it, but my wife and I had agreed on it at the end of a long day at work and I was too tired to go through the hassle of picking out another movie.

Thanks everybody for the comments on Midway. I was excited about it but will now put it on the backburner and look at other movies first. Will probably look at 1917 instead. Surely there's a combination of good movie and good sound in that one, right?
Me personally I enjoyed Midway over 1917. Midway's sound was far better. I personally liked the pacing of Midway as it kept me more engaged. 1917 had the better story telling all be it slow paced. Cinematography in 1917 is nothing short of artwork.

·
Registered
663 Posts
And since I am so busy sharing my unwanted opinions, best movie recently watched for me, Lawrence of Arabia 4K. Story? Check! Acting? Check! Cinematography? Check ! Check! Check! Sound? Sony really did a stellar job creating an Atmos soundmix. No bass monster like most films discussed here but there are moments that surprised me how much bass is there. As an example the first train that is blown up.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

I personally loved Underwater. Is it derivative? Absolutely! Is it a masterpiece? Far from! With that said, it’s a thrill ride from beginning to end.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Joshua Chmiel said:
As far as the DTS-HD 7.1 soundmix is concerned though I consider it a top 20 to top 10 mix in my collection
You just sold the movie to me I need to listen to that!

Tom Riddle said:
I personally loved Underwater. Is it derivative? Absolutely! Is it a masterpiece? Far from! With that said, it’s a thrill ride from beginning to end.
Yeah, something tells me I'm going to like it. I liked The Cloverfield Paradox as well. There's something about movies under water or in space that I love. Thanks for the rec.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The audio in Midway is still pretty good, don't doubt it. But looking at the rest of your post, the problem won't be the audio, but the movie itself. I'm not sure if you'll enjoy it, as it has some story telling, acting, and CGI issues. I didn't mind it, because I'm not particularly demanding about my movies (I'll tell you a little secret. I've watched Hurricane Heist five times ), I just want to be entertained. If you can, I'd recommend a rental first.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you have Atmos there's some great height effect use on 1917 as well. There's a scene with flares being shot up at night and it sounded like they were overhead and not directly but "up in the sky" like they would really be. That was with me just running a 5.1.2 setup with SVS Elevation speakers up front for height and it's still that accurate. I might buy it on disc (rented the blu-ray from Netflix) just to use as a demo disc for my audio setup lol.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Personally, I thought the story and cinematography for 1917 was much better than Midway. However, I thought the sound (bass at least) was much better in Midway. When the ships roll over the ocean waves I could feel it in my house. Typical of battle ship movies. Train scenes are similar as they speed by.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Personally, I thought the story and cinematography for 1917 was much better than Midway. However, I thought the sound (bass at least) was much better in Midway. When the ships roll over the ocean waves I could feel it in my house. Typical of battle ship movies. Train scenes are similar as they speed by.
1917 is great movie but the expectation is to see a war movie with action similar to Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Fury, etc which it definitely is not. I would call it a war drama more than anything. It is definitely a war movie but in its own category because there are no big battles we have come to expect.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I watched Replicas uhd through vudu and even though it was late and I wasn't listening loud, there were a few scenes that had decent bass.
I thought the movie was pretty cool, reminded me a little of iRobot.
Anyone else see this yet?
I watched most of it last night, it was getting late, i was sleepy and the story is not strong. This movie is definitely HDTGM worthy like other movies on this thread e.g., Gamer and Hurricane Heist.

The bass stands out in this movie. It is a drama for the most part but when they do scenes where the camera is inside the replica VAT there is good bass. There is one scene early on (18 minute mark?) when Keanu has to make a big decision and push the button on the keyboard and there is strong ULF bass to give weight to his actions for us viewers. Kudos to whoever mixed this movie like it was a Michael Bay movie!

Story is bonkers but at the right times there is bass and the surrounds are aggressive (for a drama!)

I will finish it tonight. I cannot agree to any actions the main character makes and he has no though for the repercussions.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Watched a few good ones lately.

Transporter 2 - What a fun and over the top action film with some absolutely ridiculous sequences that still were just so fun. Kudos for a great female villain with a nice shootout scene in the first act. Had a lot fun with this one! Really liked the audio in this one - no ULF but some really good mid-bass punch throughout. Surrounds were active and with DTS NEO:X engaged, it got a lot of height action. Always love when bullets and cars fly over my head! The picture was also a nice surprise for a MPEG-2 codec.

Thor UHD - I haven’t seen this one since it first came out on Blu-ray and my oldest son was just under 2 years old. I had just bought a SVS PB-12 (my first real subwoofer coming from a Klipsch Sub 12). I recalled the bass being very strong and wasn’t dissapointed this go around either. Had some nice kick to it and the surrounds were engaged throughout with good usage of heights. There were some dynamic issues here and there with some sounds coming off a bit compressed, but it wasn’t overly annoying. The picture was very nice too with a lot of fine detail and some okay usage of HDR throughout.

Ready or Not - I took the plunge and bought this at full price on Blu and I wasn’t disappointed. What a fun concept that really had me on the edge of my seat throughout. I’m not ashamed to say that some of the jump scares got me. The audio was pretty stellar with some good mid-bass kick here and there. Surrounds were fully engaged throughout and dynamics were really good. The PQ was pretty impressive for a film bathed in darkness throughout.

Probably no movie watching for the next few days. My oldest son’s 9U select team is playing in the local World Series, so we will be at the ballpark for the next few days. Hopefully we come home with a win! I always get really nervous when he is pitching, even though he is really good at it. Let the nail biting ensue!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Finally getting Underwater in this weekend on Netflix blu-ray. Looking forward to cranking things up and checking it out.

Reactions: Tom Riddle
18321 - 18340 of 18975 Posts