AVS Forum banner

18341 - 18360 of 18589 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Let us know when you finish that @Jim Kiler. as I was looking at it on Vudu, but just couldn't bring myself to purchase the rental...
Same here, i got $7 in free rental money for FandangoNow via my samsung account x 3. I think it is still active until 6/30. There is a free redbox rental as well.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14128538-free-fandangonow-rental-when-creating-samsung-account

create an account if you do not have one.

Scratch that the deal for FandangoNow is dead. I cannot delete this post.

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I apologize if I came across as "system faulting". That was not my intention but to point out differences. I mentioned JBLs have been accused of being bright. Other terms bright, harsh, fatiguing. Not exactly terms of quality but may be a difference that makes a difference in this film. I did re-watch some scenes last night of Midway. The only thing I can think of is the bullets have a different, but consistent, whizzing by sound compared to other movies. I found the mix to be just as enjoyable as I remembered and watched the whole Midway battle again.
Oh, no... I certainly didn't take your post in that manner, nor did I mean for you anyone else to take it that way. I love you guys! :D

I just wanted to be completely honest by merely stating the truth... I have a budget system, mainly because I'm a cheapass! :p Hell, the left, right and surround speakers are from an Onkyo HTIB years ago (I heard it stated that the older Onkyo speakers were made better than newer ones; I guess it's possible, but I'm not certain about that)!

I swear I was going to replace them when I had a Pioneer receiver, but after I got a Yamaha and moved into my new house from a smaller apartment, it literally sounded like I got brand new speakers. Chalk it up to room acoustics or placement, but it's certainly a joy every time I sit to watch anything in my home theater. :D

However... if I do one day look for a speaker upgrade, I'm looking at you PSA or JTR! (Of course, then I would need to balance it all out by adding larger subwoofers, a beefier amplifier, proper paneling... Geez, these forums are dangerous, but at least I ain't gotta worry about WAF anymore!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Let us know when you finish that @Jim Kiler. as I was looking at it on Vudu, but just couldn't bring myself to purchase the rental...
I finished Replicas. I wish the story went in another direction
The wife is flawed and goes crazy trying to kill Keanu.
The story was no worse than other HDTGM classics like Hurricane Heist except that was an action movie and this is a scifi triller (?). I did not hate nor love this movie.

But if anyone else watches it the bass at the 38 minute mark of the imprint failure is all ULF and awesome. Then at the very end there are some handguns being fired and they sound awesome! This is not Den of Thieves so if you do watch know this is mainly a drama. I wonder how the atmos is on this movie because the 5.1 is aggressive.

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
@Jim Kiler, I liked Den of Thieves. But I watched an awesome bass heavy movie with awesome Atmos tonight....

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
@Jim Kiler, I liked Den of Thieves. But I watched an awesome bass heavy movie with awesome Atmos tonight....
Den of Thieves is on Netflix streaming in the US currently, i need to rewatch it. Will not be the same as on disc for audio though.

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Has anyone noticed that using Neural:X does not have the same dynamics as Dolby Surround? Not even close especially in the low end department. Or is it just Anthem's implementation that sucks? Neural pushes overhead more but otherwise the DSU is waaay better.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Has anyone noticed that using Neural:X does not have the same dynamics as Dolby Surround? Not even close especially in the low end department. Or is it just Anthem's implementation that sucks? Neural pushes overhead more but otherwise the DSU is waaay better.

Yeah I noticed years ago that DTS:Neural X cuts off some low end, and it more aggressive with the heights. I prefer DSU for everything

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Yeah I noticed years ago that DTS:Neural X cuts off some low end, and it more aggressive with the heights. I prefer DSU for everything
Thanks for the sanity check. I watched Replicas and was wondering why the lack of low end only realising at the end I accidentally switched to Neural.

I only ever used DSU as well.

Some say that Neural has even better bass, well not sure how but anyway thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
^

Interesting,,,, as i always have Neural-X engaged,,,, looks like i have some testing to do. One feature i accidentally had engaged a while back (Imax Enhanced) Brutally neutered the bass on tracks that went deep. Took quite a while of trouble shooting to pin it down.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
^

Interesting,,,, as i always have Neural-X engaged,,,, looks like i have some testing to do. One feature i accidentally had engaged a while back (Imax Enhanced) Brutally neutered the bass on tracks that went deep. Took quite a while of trouble shooting to pin it down.
Please report back as I'd like to find out if it has anything to do with the AVR manufacturer's implementation.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Really!?

Neural:X sounds fantastic for me on a lot of non-object-enabled tracks like Den Of Thieves, Underwater, The Rhythm Section and The Art Of Flight. However, it sounds like you may have done some LFE measurements and compared them which I haven't.

It would be a shame if this is actually the case since I recently migrated to Neural:X just this year as I've always used Dolby Surround for non-Atmos and non-DTS:X movies.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Really!?

Neural:X sounds fantastic for me on a lot of non-object-enabled tracks like Den Of Thieves, Underwater, The Rhythm Section and The Art Of Flight. However, it sounds like you may have done some LFE measurements and compared them which I haven't.

It would be a shame if this is actually the case since I recently migrated to Neural:X just this year as I've always used Dolby Surround for non-Atmos and non-DTS:X movies.

This was the case on my Arcam AVR550 a few years ago, but their implementation of things was...questionable...
I haven't done any testing for a good while as I prefer DSU so it never bothered me

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am more of a Neural X guy myself. As @SuperFist mentioned Underwater as an example and I have said before it is one of my favorite sound mixes. It sure didn't leave me wanting for more LFE.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Its not just just the LFE, the whole presentation.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
never noticed the low end cutoff but its the as you stated the aggressive nature of DTS:Neural X is real turn off - DSU is 100% for me - did about 6 months of back and forth at beginning but much prefer DSU -
I can see how some prefer DTS but I like a nice coherent bubble and not that aggressive height pumping - I listen to tons of music as well and DTS is awful

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
^

Hmmm - Have the Imax enhanced discs been graphed as I think everyone I have viewed has basically sucked for audio -

18341 - 18360 of 18589 Posts