AVS Forum banner

18361 - 18380 of 18988 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Hmmm - Have the Imax enhanced discs been graphed as I think everyone I have viewed has basically sucked for audio -
Not that i know of. I somehow had Imax feature manually engaged, so it was neutering all movies. Scenes that would normally have loads of excursion had none. At least i now know why, once i turned it off all was great again. I dont even know if i have any Imax mixes as i'm still just running 1080.

Reactions: GPBURNS

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Not that i know of. I somehow had Imax feature manually engaged, so it was neutering all movies. Scenes that would normally have loads of excursion had none. At least i now know why, once i turned it off all was great again. I dont even know if i have any Imax mixes as i'm still just running 1080.
Jeez - will have to go look at my Marantz settings when I have a Imax disc as been several films that got decent audio feedback but I was like 🙄

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Jeez - will have to go look at my Marantz settings when I have a Imax disc as been several films that got decent audio feedback but I was like 🙄
Would be interesting to see your results. I'll have to go back in the settings to confirm but guess the Imax setting will have on/off/auto.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Jeez - will have to go look at my Marantz settings when I have a Imax disc as been several films that got decent audio feedback but I was like

I haven’t noticed any negative impact from the IMAX mode with my setup. I know I have a few titles that trigger it to turn on, but I can’t remember which ones. On my Sony STR-ZA1100ES, this setting only has options of Auto or Off.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I haven’t noticed any negative impact from the IMAX mode with my setup. I know I have a few titles that trigger it to turn on, but I can’t remember which ones. On my Sony STR-ZA1100ES, this setting only has options of Auto or Off.
Thing is thou - you would have to watch it twice to know - there is so much software available and only so many hours in a day - it does take awhile for 2nd viewing on most titles - for me anyhow -
Don't know about you but if I start flipping settings during film - the other half not so pleased 😁

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thing is thou - you would have to watch it twice to know - there is so much software available and only so many hours in a day - it does take awhile for 2nd viewing on most titles - for me anyhow -
Don't know about you but if I start flipping settings during film - the other half not so pleased

I got rid of the other half and do as I please

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Well, the World Series is over, and the end result wasn’t what we were hoping for, but the kids played well and had fun. So, back to movie watching. We put in Don’t Breathe - has been sitting in the cellophane for a few years now - and boy did it not disappoint! The bass was relentless throughout! This is an extremely hard hitting film from the opening credits to the end. The soundtrack was amazing with a lot of nice surround usage. There are many times where you can pinpoint sounds just like the antagonist can to find our hapless....heroes?

I typically watch DTS HD-MA flicks with Neo:X, but as some suggested that DSU was better, I tried it out to test. Overall, the DSU upmixer did a very good job and didn’t take away from the main channels, but supported them quite nicely. Engaging Neo:X turned it up a notch, but was a tad exaggerated in the heights, which became distracting at times. I would say that DSU gets the win (almost typed wine because I’m on my second glass) due to its ability to accommodate rather than exaggerate the original mix. As for the low-end cutoff, I didn’t notice a difference between the two, but I didn’t do extensive testing.

We also had the chance to watch The Hurt Locker last night after we got home. This is the first watch since it came out on Blu-ray and it reminded us of why we all fell in love with Jeremy Renner. Anthony Mackie was also amazing in the film playing the serious man to Renner’s unhinged character. As for the audio, boy oh boy was it fun! It packed some great punch in the LFE department with some awesome explosions throughout. The sniper showdown is a real highlight of the film with some amazing surround usage and again, some awesome LFE. This is an amazing film and really shows off the great direction of the always underrated Kathryn Bigelow (I mean Point Break, come on!). We played this entirely in Neo:X.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Exaggerated heights on neural x is my experience as well. I found it tended to make dialogue sound like it was coming from the top 20% or higher of my screen as well. DSU does much better on my Denon X4500H. DTS:X however sounds perfectly fine. As a matter of fact I'm watching the original Brendan Fraser mummy movie on uhd disc with DTS:X right now and it sounds great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I am more of a Neural X guy myself. As @SuperFist mentioned Underwater as an example and I have said before it is one of my favorite sound mixes. It sure didn't leave me wanting for more LFE.
All of this now reminds me of why I began using Neural:X over Dolby Surround... I was rewatching the extended version of Avatar and these helicopters made their way onto the screen and it sounded okay though speaker-centric and separated with Dolby Surround, but with Neural:X, it actually sound like it was object-based as the transition from the rear to over the back, overhead and in front was absolutely seamless! I forgot what timestamp it was, but I was stunned and began using Neural:X from that moment forward.

I'm going to try to find the timestamp on this right now so you all can test it, too.

UPDATE: It's at 1:52:18... but now that I have my new Klipsch Atmos speakers, it seems seamless with both Neural:X and Dolby Surround. :cool::D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Okay, I think I must be missing some information. I only use DTS Neural:X or Dolby Surround for 2.0 sources that would ordinarily be standard 5.1. For me, exclusively, this is when using steaming TV services like YouTube TV. I’ve cut the cord, so all of my live sports that air on traditional cable channels like ESPN now come with neutered stereo sound.

Are you folks who are discussing this using DTS Neural:X or Dolby Surround to add object-based channels and such to non-Atmos and non-DTS:X content? Or am I just misunderstanding? My belief was that this is it’s purpose, but I wanted to check that info haha.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Okay, I think I must be missing some information. I only use DTS Neural:X or Dolby Surround for 2.0 sources that would ordinarily be standard 5.1. For me, exclusively, this is when using steaming TV services like YouTube TV. I’ve cut the cord, so all of my live sports that air on traditional cable channels like ESPN now come with neutered stereo sound.

Are you folks who are discussing this using DTS Neural:X or Dolby Surround to add object-based channels and such to non-Atmos and non-DTS:X content? Or am I just misunderstanding? My belief was that this is it’s purpose, but I wanted to check that info haha.
That's correct, you can run them with standard non-Atmos and non-DTS:X content even if it's 5.1/7.1 and it will upmix into the height channels.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Hmmm - Have the Imax enhanced discs been graphed as I think everyone I have viewed has basically sucked for audio -
I got around to watching my Angry Birds 2 4k disc which has Imax enhanced sound track as was pretty impressed by the mix! D&M sent out an update which allowed bass to be redirected to the sub which I selected 70hz (which isn't available for anything else but Imax:rolleyes:) enough for me to want more.Oh! and Great visuals as well on this one;)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I will test a little more but for me DSU wins hands down it does not take any dynamics away keeps all of the source channels nice and intact yet adds a whole lot of immersion, Neural sucks in every way except height action it neuters bass and the whole sounds stage narrows badly compered to DSU it sounds thin. This must be the manufacturer's implementation if you guys don't notice much of a difference.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Yes. The discussion is basically talking about using DSU and dts-nx on any content that’s not Atmos or dtsx. That can be 5.1 or 7.1 as well, and not only 2.0. Also, it’s not adding any objects per se, but as I understand it using in/out of phase information to utilize the height layer speakers.

Also, I haven’t noticed any differences in NX vs DSU. Not sure how exactly that would be implemented technically speaking, but will try some things.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Good thing we are getting all these special features that make this worse. For instance my TV, Sony Z9F, which has netflix calibrated mode i leave it off and that seems to be the popular option for others who own this TV.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thanks for the sanity check. I watched Replicas and was wondering why the lack of low end only realising at the end I accidentally switched to Neural.

I only ever used DSU as well.

Some say that Neural has even better bass, well not sure how but anyway thanks for confirming.
The Good news is you get to rewatch Replicas again but that should not be a problem since it was such a good movie! /sarcasm. Actually it was not that bad but I do enjoy bad movies and listen to the HDTGM podcast. I hope they will review this movie some day.

I wonder how this movie would have been if Nic Cage replaced Keanu Reeves.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
18361 - 18380 of 18988 Posts