AVS Forum banner

18581 - 18600 of 19007 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
...the characters were so shallow and generic on both sides of the political spectrum that no one should get offended. Maybe with more time spent on the script it might have been better. It felt like a rushed Ready or Not where there is no characters to like.
Well, I definitely liked Betty Gilpin! ;)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I need to check this one out. Was it at least mindless popcorn fun?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well, I definitely liked Betty Gilpin! ;)
I wanted to like her but they did not give her enough of a character IMO.

edit: i take that back she was good in the gas station scene but the rest of the characters including Athena were too shallow. Also why was the reveal of Athena in there? Was I supposed to be shocked who was playing her?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I ran into a strange occurrence last night. We watched The Town, which we've seen many times, but last night we selected the Extended Cut. After watching it, I can say the Theatrical Cut is much better. Anyways, from the get go the audio just didn't sound right. The surrounds weren't as engaged and dialogue wasn't crisp, almost like there was some compression. I went with it, but it definitely bothered me throughout, and I didn't recall the issue any of the times I had watched it before. After, I looked up the specs and the Extended Cut is a 16 bit track, as opposed to the 24 bit track on the Theatrical Cut. I went back and watched scenes, comparing the two, and none of those problems existed on the Theatrical Cut. The 24 bit track had a much higher bitrate, so I'm sure that played large factor in it. The bass was good as always. Not push you out of your seat good, but good nonetheless. Even if it is structurally similar to Heat (a far better film) I still enjoy it.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I ran into a strange occurrence last night. We watched The Town, which we've seen many times, but last night we selected the Extended Cut. After watching it, I can say the Theatrical Cut is much better. Anyways, from the get go the audio just didn't sound right. The surrounds weren't as engaged and dialogue wasn't crisp, almost like there was some compression. I went with it, but it definitely bothered me throughout, and I didn't recall the issue any of the times I had watched it before. After, I looked up the specs and the Extended Cut is a 16 bit track, as opposed to the 24 bit track on the Theatrical Cut. I went back and watched scenes, comparing the two, and none of those problems existed on the Theatrical Cut. The 24 bit track had a much higher bitrate, so I'm sure that played large factor in it. The bass was good as always. Not push you out of your seat good, but good nonetheless. Even if it is structurally similar to Heat (a far better film) I still enjoy it.
This reminds me that MrGrey once posted that he noticed a difference between the 16 bit and 24 bit soundtracks of Tron: Legacy, but I couldn't distinguish it.

UPDATE: I find this hilarious and embarrassing at the same time... I just realized the two files I compared were both 24 bit! No wonder I couldn't tell the difference! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
This reminds me that MrGrey once posted that he noticed a difference between the 16 bit and 24 bit soundtracks of Tron: Legacy, but I couldn't distinguish it.
I've watched several 16 bit tracks before with no issue - it's most likely due to them placing both on one disc. Since they didn't use seamless branching for the Extended Cut, they jammed a lot of info on to a single Blu-ray. Oh well, I will just watch the 24 bit track from here on out.

I'm curious if Tron had both tracks on the same disc too.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Watched Glass tonight. Man, I can’t believe I left it in cellophane this long because it was amazing! The bass was unreal, possibly super natural! The surround mix was just as amazing with some great use of heights and constant surrounds. The HDR was pretty amazing too! Those lights were blinding! I was a huge fan of Unbreakable and Split and this one did not disappoint in the least.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I have never seen it and may have to order myself as i'm desperate for anything new these days i havent seen. Just watched a double feature as i'm getting the new subs diald in somewhat "Olympus Has Fallen,,, and Equalizer 2" Both are just nuts in the bass department,,, Glass sounds like another.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Watched Glass tonight. Man, I can’t believe I left it in cellophane this long because it was amazing! The bass was unreal, possibly super natural! The surround mix was just as amazing with some great use of heights and constant surrounds. The HDR was pretty amazing too! Those lights were blinding! I was a huge fan of Unbreakable and Split and this one did not disappoint in the least.
agreed

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Fist time on new forum look - eek - Not sure if mentioned here as don't see thread search but Korean Flick Ashfall - fun ride - Nice bass and surround activity -

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have never seen it and may have to order myself as i'm desperate for anything new these days i havent seen. Just watched a double feature as i'm getting the new subs diald in somewhat "Olympus Has Fallen,,, and Equalizer 2" Both are just nuts in the bass department,,, Glass sounds like another.
I know what you mean, there‘s nothing new coming out and nothing on TV!

Congrats on the sub! What did you get?

Reactions: indebtbassfreak

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I know what you mean, there‘s nothing new coming out and nothing on TV!

Congrats on the sub! What did you get?
Traded in my pair of Funk 21.0LX's for a pair of Funk 18" LFE's. My First ported experience, and am now getting to understand all the talk over the years how they have that aggressive kick down low. At least i have a good excuse to re-watch my moderate collection "again":D

18581 - 18600 of 19007 Posts