AVS Forum banner

19161 - 19180 of 19616 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I’ve always used Amazon. Of late, they have been really bad about delaying deliveries. I’m sure they are giving new Amazon Prime customers preference and putting us longtime and loyal prime members with the delays.
You should try using their free delivery without Prime. My orders sit for a week then ship out. I don't think there is much reasoning behind it except to aggregate products sometimes, but then again sometimes it seems built in to delay free shipping for non prime members.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You should try using their free delivery without Prime. My orders sit for a week then ship out. I don't think there is much reasoning behind it except to aggregate products sometimes, but then again sometimes it seems built in to delay free shipping for non prime members.
Ouch. I became a Prime member when it first came out, and for years it has been great. It’s really since the pandemic that things have gotten messed up. I’m not going to fault them for that. Ultimately, their pricing structure is too good, and I get 5% back on every purchase as an Amazon card holder. Best Buy is too uneven, so I hardly ever order anything through them. The only other place I order movies from is Disney, as a member I get 50% off a second purchase with one purchase at full price. I got the entire Marvel and Star Wars collection on UHD for half what I would pay through Best Buy or Amazon.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
May I ask you all where you place your Pre-Orders through? Amazon today issued the straw that broke this camel's back. As of last night My Pre-Order of Back to the Future, placed on July 27, site said delivery today. Perfectly acceptable until I got the email informing me delayed with no expected date this morning. I looked back through my orders and realized since May 6 of my pre-orders arrived two or more days after release date. I contacted customer service chat and was informed the delay was because they are out of stock and more is not expected until the 28th. I ended up cancelling my order, placed one for the Best Buy steelbook and picked it up on my way home. Your positive and negatives experiences of other retails will be helpful. Thank you all.
I mainly use Best Buy since I discovered in the past that Amazon was finicky with on-time movie release date deliveries. Most of the time, Best Buy delivers them a couple of days before release when I preorder them.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Ouch. I became a Prime member when it first came out, and for years it has been great. It’s really since the pandemic that things have gotten messed up. I’m not going to fault them for that. Ultimately, their pricing structure is too good, and I get 5% back on every purchase as an Amazon card holder. Best Buy is too uneven, so I hardly ever order anything through them. The only other place I order movies from is Disney, as a member I get 50% off a second purchase with one purchase at full price. I got the entire Marvel and Star Wars collection on UHD for half what I would pay through Best Buy or Amazon.
Maybe we could make graphs comparing delivery times with and without prime membership? 😉 lols
Oh wait… they’ll be deleted for no reason!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
On the plus side with no new movies coming out I can keep up with the new posts to this thread for the first time...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Watching Flatliners and it's pretty damn crazy! There's some SERIOUS LFE here!

And yeah, I read the graphs posted here before popping this one in my BDP but I was NOT expecting that 19Hz spike or those 14Hz bumps!

JEEEEEZE!

EDIT: Or that kick at 12Hz towards the end, there.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Been October of course had to throw on Hellboy 2 last night. All the talk about ported subs I've read over the years from so many of you guys and now experiencing for myself sure makes a huge difference. It brought the goods and so far has to be one of the best mixes to date. So much Ulf and tactile bass throughout,,,,plus loads of detail in all channels. Definitely a new experience watching this one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Are you sure its Rouge Nation as at that time stamp its action out the wazoo in the parking lot in India... and theres nothing quiet before or after this portion.
UPDATED:

I would like ask the group for some help regarding a possible sound issue with a movie I just played. I ordered a bunch of 4k movies off Ebay and one of my favs is Mission Impossible Rogue Nation. All of them look legit but I noticed that at a certain part in the movie I am hearing what sounds like data transmission noises coming out of the ATMOS speakers. I am playing the ATMOS version. I do not notice it obviously when playing in a 5.1 version. Now is it happening throughout the movie? I don't know because there are other sounds going on but I REALLY noticed it at scene (1:54:49) where everyone is quiet before action happens. I have included the link for the noise that I am hearing.

What I did was to turn off all my equipment one by one and see if I could eliminate the culprit but it did not change anything. This noise was also on the blu-ray ATMOS version as well. I don't appear to have this noise on any other movie other than this one.

If anyone has the movie to try out and see if you also hear this would be greatly appreciated with my trouble shooting.

View attachment 3046518

View attachment 3046643

(Link to precise scene)

Finally had time to check out my weird ATMOS noise. Just easier to take the positive wires off the speakers then from off the back of the receiver and only have the atoms speakers on. Now I can crank up the system and better isolate this noise. I recorded the isolated sounds and one scenario it seems like when atoms channel is called it makes a clicking noise almost like if the atmos amp is turning on making the sound (with no noise) and then clicking off noise when atoms is no longer needed. The second is when atmos isn't playing the noise is always on until atoms and then once atmos is done the noise returns.

I called Yamaha and they asked me to push the pure direct button that bypasses everything enhanced audio and only comes from the source playing. It reduced it a tad but was still doing the same thing. I tried a boatload of movies with atmos and Midway was fine and worked great and a couple of others I had both ripped and from the 4k disc. Connected the receiver to a different outlet etc but still the same. I know it is a lot to ask for someone to unplug their speakers except for atmos to see if you also experience so the last resort Yamaha said I will then need to send it back in. Just sucks.

Have a listen to two sample atmos tracks the first one from Hobbs & Shaw where you can hear when atmos is presented to the speakers a pop before and after and the second one from my worst sounding movie which is Rogue Nation where a constant noise when no atmos is being played but fine when atoms sound is present.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I got the new Friday the 13th box set in the other day, and so far I’ve watched the original and the remake. The original with the new 4K scan is absolutely amazing! Also, there is some nice added weight to the bass in the original’s score! I was amazed at how well it was done. The remake was also nice with some good bass throughout.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Movie with Kid, Horror, and Butterflies? You might be talking about Brightburn... and while I agree streaming audio is almost always weaker against the disc, (sometimes by a lot), Netflix has the best audio than any other service, whether its atmos or just DD+ etc. Some of their original content has bass just as good as anything available on discs, just depends on the content. Other services like Prime, Vudu, Disney are pretty bad in comparison. Try watching A Quite Place on Prime or Edge of Tomorrow on Vudu its horribly behind from disc audio.
Netflix / iTunes and Disney+ Atmos are 768 Kpbs. So the same content should sound more or the less the same.
I have compared Star Wars on iTunes and D+. Both sound similar perhaps identical once levels are matched.

iTunes and MoviesAnywhere offers the best picture closest to the disc.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Where are all the charts? I thought the movie titles were listed in the OP?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Where are all the charts? I thought the movie titles were listed in the OP?
Thank the new forum for removing them all! You now have to use this Bass EQ link to see if they have the movies graphed there. Also, make sure you use the dashed green line in the uppermost graph and the far right heat map in the bottom graph.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Holy crap. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Anyone watching Haunting of Bly Manor? I was hoping the bass was worthwhile but the lack of comments on here makes me think it is not a bass title.

19161 - 19180 of 19616 Posts