AVS Forum banner

19181 - 19200 of 19630 Posts

·
Registered
19,582 Posts
Finally had time to check out my weird ATMOS noise. Just easier to take the positive wires off the speakers then from off the back of the receiver and only have the atoms speakers on. Now I can crank up the system and better isolate this noise. I recorded the isolated sounds and one scenario it seems like when atoms channel is called it makes a clicking noise almost like if the atmos amp is turning on making the sound (with no noise) and then clicking off noise when atoms is no longer needed. The second is when atmos isn't playing the noise is always on until atoms and then once atmos is done the noise returns.

I called Yamaha and they asked me to push the pure direct button that bypasses everything enhanced audio and only comes from the source playing. It reduced it a tad but was still doing the same thing. I tried a boatload of movies with atmos and Midway was fine and worked great and a couple of others I had both ripped and from the 4k disc. Connected the receiver to a different outlet etc but still the same. I know it is a lot to ask for someone to unplug their speakers except for atmos to see if you also experience so the last resort Yamaha said I will then need to send it back in. Just sucks.

Have a listen to two sample atmos tracks the first one from Hobbs & Shaw where you can hear when atmos is presented to the speakers a pop before and after and the second one from my worst sounding movie which is Rogue Nation where a constant noise when no atmos is being played but fine when atoms sound is present.

This only happens on those two movies?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Regarding Bly Manor - There's moments of bass sprinkled across the 9 episodes but only when the scene calls for it and that's pretty much it. Nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Is it me or is the story all over the place? I just can’t follow it for some reason, maybe it’s me.
It's not just you. It's a step down from season one.

Reactions: Tom Riddle

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Regarding Bly Manor - There's moments of bass sprinkled across the 9 episodes but only when the scene calls for it and that's pretty much it. Nothing to write home about.
Just like Formula 1 on Netflix, i thought this is cool they have some bass drop, but it is never the cars it is an artifical bass drop they add once or twice an episode. Otherwise it is a very entertaining look at the rivalries and behind the scenes of Formula 1 for 2 seasons so far.

It's not just you. It's a step down from season one.
Bummer but i will still give it a shot. At least the two guys doing this are not rushing to put our a third limited series. Hopefully they wait for a good story or better story based on what you said.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So this is not bass related exactly but some interesting info in this article about how much easier streaming encodes are than UHD discs. Apparently the first 8% of each layer is less bandwidth than the rest of the layer causing headaches for the authoring needed.

In case anyone wasn't aware, it's much more technically challenging to implement DV on UHD disc than it is for a streaming version. This isn't FUD, this is FACT: there's a mandatory requirement for all UHD Blu-rays that feature HDR to include an HDR10 version as well as whatever optional version (DV, HDR10+, Philips/Technicolor) is being deployed. Two separate 2160p encodes of reasonable bitrate onto one disc won't go so they devised a dual layer system, the 'base' HDR10 layer 3840x2160 10-bit HEVC stream and an 'enhancement' Dolby Vision layer contained within a 1920x1080 10-bit HEVC stream. The DV stream is not a readable video layer as it's merely a transport which contains the 'difference' data between the 12-bit master and the 10-bit generic layer as well as the payload of dynamic metadata, the Dolby processing then takes these two layers and rebuilds the full 12-bit DV signal at the display end (with more post-processing being pushed back towards the player with Sony's "low latency" DV profile).

"Okay", you might think. "it's a bit more complicated than a single stream OTT delivery, so what?". But DV on disc doesn't just have to contend with this dual-layer authoring, it's also got to contend with the specifics of how this content is physically encoded to disc, namely the dual-zoned High Transfer Rate/Default Transfer Rate portions of the 33GB layers. In order to use the maximum 127.9 Mb/s bitrate for the transport stream the discs need to be spun faster but in doing so the RPM exceeds noise limits in the inner 8% of a disc, so that inner 8% is restricted to a lower default bitrate of 108 Mb/s max while the outer 92% is able to use the highest 127.9 Mb/s max.

For a 66GB disc this isn't so tricky to manage but for a Triple Layer 100GB disc you've got to contend with a possible dip in bitrate at the second layer break where it changes from inner to outer (the pickup having read inner to outer for the first layer, 1st break from outer to inner for the second, 2nd break from inner to outer for the third) and if you're wandering into that inner 8% again then you need to be aware of this bitrate restriction during a key portion of your movie (anywhere between 1hr30 and 2h+ depending on the length of the film) whilst being careful to maintain optimal bitrate for your two HEVC streams (plus audio of course) as mentioned above.

Long story short: DV is much simpler to encode for streaming delivery but a MAJOR pain in the ass to encode onto disc and not all authoring houses have been certified to deal with it, e.g. Deluxe only just got certified late last year whilst Pixelogic (who bought a ****load of disc authoring IP from Sony) have been handling it for most clients from the start. They can only do so much at any one time though, hence the trickle of DV titles on disc rather than a flood. But with Disney announcing that The Last Jedi will be their first title to include Dolby Vision on UHD disc then I'd say that maybe Hollywood doesn't hate us quite so much as you might think...

He continues:

It's a fact that DV streams do not have to contend with this HDR10 base layer + DV enhancement layer encoding. It's a fact that DV streams do not have to contend with HTR/DTR zones in their encoding (and streams actually use a higher quality method of chroma subsampling too, look up "ICtCp"). It's a fact that streaming presentations themselves don't have to leverage their total available bitrate with, say, 16 extra audio tracks muxed into the transport stream e.g. the worldwide UHD edition of Deathly Hallows Pt 1. (Not a DV disc, just making a point.)

Add it all up and it means that DV on disc is potentially a much more involved process with regards to both mastering and encoding. Not impossible, not improbable, not insurmountable, because we wouldn't have any DV content on disc at all if that were the case. But it absolutely requires a higher degree of complexity in the encoding vs a stream and even though a respected post house like Deluxe has been grading in Dolby Vision for several years already, they were only certified to handle the specific process of encoding DV for UHD Blu-ray late last year. I'm not making this up: Deluxe Helps Answer Growing Demand for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Content with Dolby Vision Approved Authoring Services

Note the mention of Paramount in that article, for now that Deluxe's DV-on-disc authoring facilities are up and running Parmount are putting out DV like there's no tomorrow, e.g. Transformers 1-5, mother!, Cloverfield & 10 CL, Daddy's Home 1 & 2, Tomb Raider 1 & 2. This is not a coincidence.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Just like Formula 1 on Netflix, i thought this is cool they have some bass drop, but it is never the cars it is an artifical bass drop they add once or twice an episode. Otherwise it is a very entertaining look at the rivalries and behind the scenes of Formula 1 for 2 seasons so far.

Bummer but i will still give it a shot. At least the two guys doing this are not rushing to put our a third limited series. Hopefully they wait for a good story or better story based on what you said.
Its not the story, the story was fine in both shows. Its the horrible directing and the way they jumbled things up six ways to sunday instead of going from point A to point B - and making me want to throw something at my expensive 77 Inch OLED. They easily could've cut down Bly Manor by one more episode and told it a better pace but instead of keeping it at 7-8 episodes, they choose to go 9 episdoes and really butchered it after 4 episodes. Last episode was better but thats not saying much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This only happens on those two movies?
Happens on a handful of movies...Since my last post I dug deeper and reset the receiver to defaults and took off all the connections and ran it directly from uhd source to receiver and hooked up another speaker to test it and it still did it. For me it was time to raise the flag and pack up the unit for service. I was like 20 days or so out of warranty but Yamaha did the right thing and honored the warranty being this was a ongoing issue for some time and thinks there is a bad board somewhere. It will be interesting what this mystery issue is and before I take it home from the shop I am bringing down my uhd player and speaker to test it....movieless in 2020...what a crappy year!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys, it's Halloween season - could anyone recommend a scary movie (with bass) almost certain to make me jump ?

I tend to avoid them as most make me either chuckle or squirm due to the cheesiness of them !

Thanks in advance ! 👍

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
The Conjuring,,,, Lights Out,,, It,,,, not scary but Hellboy 2,,,, Overlord,,,, Brightburn to name a few

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
A Quiet Place (2018) is filled with high 20hz bass and is definitely one of the best on the edge of your seat scary films I've ever seen.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Not a Halloween movie, but Don't Breath has its moments and sure brings the bass as well👍

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone watching Haunting of Bly Manor? I was hoping the bass was worthwhile but the lack of comments on here makes me think it is not a bass title.
So I just wrapped it up last night! I've been watching it in my mini-theater (it only has 4 12s in it) and if you're looking for bass, I think you'll be happy with it. Lots of that low rumble, crescendo bass, thunder, burbles, and all sorts of spooky ULF. My mini-theater doesn't respond like my main theater but it digs, and for shows like Bly Manor, I'm glad it does!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey guys, it's Halloween season - could anyone recommend a scary movie (with bass) almost certain to make me jump ?

I tend to avoid them as most make me either chuckle or squirm due to the cheesiness of them !

Thanks in advance ! 👍
Poltergeist 2015 is a room shaker. Pulse is as well. Blair Witch 2016 is cheesy, but it has some low notes in it.

Flatliners 2017 is the latest in my movies that made me go "GAHT DAM!"

Reactions: DjBlade

·
Registered
208 Posts
Annabelle Comes home - While not a halloween movie, has some incredible bass

19181 - 19200 of 19630 Posts