Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... the vacuum cleaner ...

Following advice from here on Avsforum, I cut away the grille on the 4 fans on my ECP4100. Following that I cleaned up the projector with a vacuum cleaner, since the HT cables etc. were rather dusty.

Not only did the noise drop 12 dB (c) and the operating temperature drop from 42 C to 31 C, but 2 major problems I have had for a long time (blue convergence being unstable, and red tube occasional dropout) totally disappeared, making me very happy.

Lucky coincidence or some explanation for this?

Hans Henrik

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WanMan: I assume this is a polite way of saying "Do not underestimate the power of the search function :)"

Just searched with keyword "dust" and it seems like there is quite a bit of info there. Amazing what you can dig up in these forums.

Anyway, Im just happy that my projector works flawlessly again :)

Next project must be to shunt a resistor with the fans to make them even more quiet. Should be safe since temperature dropped so much without the grilles.

Best regards

Hans Henrik

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I'm an X-Files junkie wannabe. My reply had no passive or direct meaning, but that sometimes we cannot explain why things happen and are left with just dealing with what we have. Kudos on your positive results!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok - never seen X-files :)

Never the less, it had the unintended positive side effect that I thought of searching for "dust" and "vacuum". It turns out that several people WARN against vacuuming a PJ due the static electricity generated by flying dust, so perhaps I should consider myself lucky...

Best regards

Hans Henrik

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Well, with sufficient humidity present AND the projector powered off and unplugged you shouldn't have a problem. On the other hand, if I were to vacuum my projector today with it plugged in I would most certainly be throwing caution to the wind and asking for trouble. :)

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I do the reverse, I use an air compressor to blow all the stuff out of the unit.

But you're right, it's amazing what a good cleaning can do with any piece of electronics. A clean projector is also a 'chick magnet'..:)

And a keen set of eyes and skilled hands are still the best tweaking tools..:)

Curt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Personally I think the rubber chicken, well warmed up, should not be underestimated as a tweaking tool.

:D

- Dave Eddy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curt: My girlfriend was a movie buff when I met her. I think the major reason she fell in love with me was my projector, so you are right about the "chick magnet" :)

Still very surprised. The red tube has been flickering for 3 years (until the PJ warmed up for 2 hours). I had the molex connectors for video signal to the neckboards under suspicion (tip found recently here on the board) and was about to take the PJ down from the ceiling mount and solder them, when I vacuumed.

Since then, no problem at all. Almost too good to be true, so I hardly dare to touch the PJ now :)

Hans Henrik

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Oh, geez... I got him started on a rubber chicken trip.... LOL :)

Marc

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Well, the way things are going for me today a BFH is the tweak tool of choice.

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yeah, Chip.. I read your posts. What a bummer. Hope you can get it resolved. Better leave the BFH in the toolbox.

Marc

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Marc,

Problem solved, defective (new) tube. I yanked it out and put the old fried one back in and left it running all day with no problems. The tube had about 135 hours on it. Go figure.

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yes, this happens. Since I also am getting a new NEC green tube for my PG9100, I am now biting my nails.

Marc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.