AVS Forum banner
261 - 280 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just curious - do you know how different the GOM fabric on the ATS site is from the GOM 701 on the Fabricmate site?
I'm not sure how much fabric research you've done - so if you have no clue its no big deal ;)
It says it is a lower thread count version of the 701, but that is kind of a vague statement. I'm not sure if it is worth the extra couple of $$ per yard to get it from Fabricmate for the higher thread count. Unfortunately I can't find the actual thread count of the 701 so it is really hard to know how different it is. I see the actual 701 is 6" wider per yard - which might be helpful... I dunno.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Just curious - do you know how different the GOM fabric on the ATS site is from the GOM 701 on the Fabricmate site?
I'm not sure how much fabric research you've done - so if you have no clue its no big deal ;)
It says it is a lower thread count version of the 701, but that is kind of a vague statement. I'm not sure if it is worth the extra couple of $$ per yard to get it from Fabricmate for the higher thread count. Unfortunately I can't find the actual thread count of the 701 so it is really hard to know how different it is. I see the actual 701 is 6" wider per yard - which might be helpful... I dunno.
No idea lol. I'm not really looking at GOM anymore as how expensive it is. Looking at speaker grill fabric. I'll update this post once I find out what I'm going with though.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
No idea lol. I'm not really looking at GOM anymore as how expensive it is. Looking at speaker grill fabric. I'll update this post once I find out what I'm going with though.

Figured it was a long shot ;)

I'm looking for fabric for a false wall, the GOM looked to be a tighter weave than the burlap so it might be less tempting to my cat. LOL

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I have a Jo-Ann's near me. If this Microsuede stuff they sell works and they have it in stock. I'll let you know.
Nothing is better or funnier than the visual of my wife and I going around our local Jo-Ann's doing the "blow test" on a dozen or so fabric samples to see which ones would make good acoustic panel material. Good times.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Nothing is better or funnier than the visual of my wife and I going around our local Jo-Ann's doing the "blow test" on a dozen or so fabric samples to see which ones would make good acoustic panel material. Good times.
Lol you would test it by how much air passed through? What type of fabric did you end up getting?

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Lol you would test it by how much air passed through? What type of fabric did you end up getting?
Yes exactly, and I'm still searching. Being totally fickle on what I want.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 · (Edited)
First frame is wrapped for testing. Came out alright. Not a fan out I can see the inside lip of the wood. Believe if I route the inside corners to a rounded edge I can mitigate that.

Painted the ceiling it's first coat of flat black. Will be hitting it again today. Got the expensive stuff for $47 a gallon :( I need to buy another two. So far I can touch all over the flat black and not leave any marks. Works really well.

Moved the frame inside the HT to see how the fabric looked against the black, I am pleased.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Looks good. Panels look darker in the theater than the other pictures indicate. Nicely done.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Ultradeep......is that how far down the rabbit hole you've gone?

Columns look great. Nice progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
First frame is wrapped for testing. Came out alright. Not a fan out I can see the inside lip of the wood. Believe if I route the inside corners to a rounded edge I can mitigate that.

Painted the ceiling it's first coat of flat black. Will be hitting it again today. Got the expensive stuff for $47 a gallon :( I need to buy another two. So far I can touch all over the flat black and not leave any marks. Works really well.

Moved the frame inside the HT to see how the fabric looked against the black, I am pleased.
Looks awesome!! Paint, panels everything!

Whats this blow test about?

Are you covering 100% of your walls with panels? All the same absorptive material or dif stuff high/low on the walls?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Looks awesome!! Paint, panels everything!

Whats this blow test about?

Are you covering 100% of your walls with panels? All the same absorptive material or dif stuff high/low on the walls?
Blow test, As RTROSE puts it, is where you just blow through the fabric and see how much air passes through. With GOM and Speaker Fabric, its very breathable. So blowing through it a lot passes though the other side. Great for having sound pass through and hit your insulation.

My fabric, air passes through but not to much. So it is not great for acoustic transparency. However, I hate the look of GOM/Burlap. So I'm willing to over look this flaw.

I am not covering my walls 100% in fabric panels. Only the upper portion will be covered. All will use linacoustic as the insulation.

Ultradeep......is that how far down the rabbit hole you've gone?

Columns look great. Nice progress.
The rabbit hole is so deep I don't know which way is up anymore. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
First column up. Props to everyone that puts these up. It requires more work than I really expected. The column is floating off the ground, hard to see from the picture because it isn't floating by very much.

Death, how do you plan to wrap the columns in fabric? Cover entire front face and then trim to cover staples?

Also, why two holes in the front face? Because of outlets behind?

Looking awesome BTW.

261 - 280 of 425 Posts