AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new preamp/processor. The only firm criteria is that it can't be more than 15.5" deep. I also want to be able to finely tune low frequencies, say 120Hz and below, but really the 20Hz-80Hz region. EQ needs to be flexible and yield excellent results, but doesn't need to be automatic. I don't need video or audio processing, as my Oppo 103 is adequate in that regard. I currently run analog out from it to an old Rotel, then out from there to the amps. My HT is 4.1, so any 7.1 preamp is more than enough. HDMI goes straight from the Oppo to my PJ, a Sony 55ES. So, the unit needs to provide switching, volume control, excellent EQ and SQ. The current units that come to mind are the Emotiva UMC200, Rotel RSP1572, Marantz AV8801, Anthem 50v 3D, Krell Foundation, and the Bryston SP3, though it's really pushing the limit on depth. Any others I've missed?

Of the units listed, the Marantz is 11.1, so more than I need but has the latest and greastest version of Audessey, the Rotel doesn't look to provide the ability to finely tune bass response, many are pretty expensive. Feedback?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Craig. I'm good as far as number of speakers. What are you up to now, 11.2? I'm trading the WATT Puppies in on some B&W 800 Diamond's, so what I lack in number I'm making up for in quality.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My room is only 14' wide, and there is a soffit along the left side wall, so the ceiling is just 12.5' wide. I'm running a phantom center, which will make full use of the 800D2's. My surrounds are on the side walls about 3.5' off the rear wall. I may be a bit light on surrounds, but my main interest in audio is 2.0 or 2.1. That Sony is amazing, and we have wanted for nothing when it comes to watching movies. We watched "Hit Man" the other night, and it was really, really nice. I think one can get a bit carried away with surround speakers, and in my room, my setup works very well. It will serve as a photo gallery, too, so more speakers would clutter things. I just need a really high quality 5.1 or 7.1 prepro.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton  /t/1526735/the-usual-suspects#post_24592042

The current units that come to mind are the Emotiva UMC200, Rotel RSP1572, Marantz AV8801, Anthem 50v 3D, Krell Foundation, and the Bryston SP3,

I think the Bryston has no EQ so that one fails, no? If you're in no rush the new Arcam might suit.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9  /t/1526735/the-usual-suspects#post_24595443

I think the Bryston has no EQ so that one fails, no? If you're in no rush the new Arcam might suit.

Yep, they don't believe in room EQ at Bryston. Maybe they're right. I need to position the new speakers the best I can and do some room treatments and see where that leaves me. The Bryston would match my 4B SST, but it's really a bit deeper than I would like. Fourteen inches would fit comfortably. The Arcam is nearly 17" deep, so it won't fit. Don't see why the Emotiva wouldn't work given I don't require much processing. Some say they're junk, though.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton  /t/1526735/the-usual-suspects#post_24596127

Yep, they don't believe in room EQ at Bryston. Maybe they're right. I need to position the new speakers the best I can and do some room treatments and see where that leaves me. The Bryston would match my 4B SST, but it's really a bit deeper than I would like. Fourteen inches would fit comfortably. The Arcam is nearly 17" deep, so it won't fit. Don't see why the Emotiva wouldn't work given I don't require much processing. Some say they're junk, though.

I've always been partial to Audiolab's 8200AP, if you don't need a lot of features. And it's cheap to boot! You could buy 4 of them for the cost of the Bryston.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9  /t/1526735/the-usual-suspects#post_24596777

I've always been partial to Audiolab's 8200AP, if you don't need a lot of features. And it's cheap to boot! You could buy 4 of them for the cost of the Bryston.

I don't see a USA dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts