AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded by A/V from a pio vsx-516 to Yam HTR6250.

I was thinking about a Denon AVR-790 but was happy with the noticeable improvements and the Yam is some $100 less.

My existing speakers are from Quest ... the Q Theatre II (5.1) .. bought for $400 4 yrs ago.

Room size is 12x15 with a 7' opening(to dinning room/hall way) to the right of the Plasma LG50GP25.

I mostly watch bluray movies(BDP-s550) and was always up/down the volume which is why i upgraded the A/V. .. its a lot better now. And about 50% of my viewing is with headphones which gave the Yam with its Silent Cinema an edge in my books.

So .... how much of a sound improvement can I expect by upgrading these speakers? My budget is 500-800(Canada $)

Looking at Future Shop and their reviews I see the following:

Polk RM6750 ... $599 .. rating of 4.4

HK HKTS15 ... $599 .. rating of 4.63

Energy Classic 5.1 ... $699 .. rating of 4.79

The first 2 have gotten decent reviews but are older ( old technology?)

The Energy has gotten GOOD reviews .. and am leaning towards this one

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
those are future shop prices and rating

i bought the takes online, and with shipping to canada, it was cheaper than buying them from future shop, just fyi

i bought from worldwide stereo, but they dont have the take 5.1 anymore

just the 5.0

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It's fine to "research" by reading reviews and soliciting opinions on line. But, to be honest, I wouldn't spend a single dollar until I actually listened to the speakers I was considering. Speakers have such a huge impact on the sound quality of a system. Far more than any AVR or other front end gear. So, I would highly recommend going out and auditioning as many different brands as possible.

Don't limit yourself to just a Best Buy or ubber high end boutique either. There are MANY different places to audition gear in general and more specifically, speakers. Places like Home Theater design/build companies, whole house wiring and automation/integration type companies.... even independent HT installers. All usually have sample products around and are most happy to offer auditions. They may not have the fancy-schmancy showrooms, but they offer opportunities to hear stuff that may not normally be available in a big box store front. Also look for shops that cater to the used gear crowd. They may be small and you might have to look a little harder to find them since they don't tend to have splashy add campaigns, but they are around and often have incredible deals.

And finally, you could get tons of folks chimming in and saying that the Polks are the best in your group and just as many that say the Energy's, H&K's or some other brand. But it's just their opinion and they way THEY felt about the speakers. We all hear things differently and no one will be able to tell you which speaker is going to sound better or the best to you.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/16935874

This set http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=k1ht305e

is the same price as the Energy and should outperform it.

And this is my point.... I've heard this speaker rig and thought it sounded awful. But, that doesn't mean others won't simply love it. So which of us are right? Both of us of course.... which then begs the question, how would they sound to you? You won't know until you hear them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okie so far ... I know my hearing isn't that refined and any suggestions on what to get can be useful so that you have a starting place to audition them from and compare notes to.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odwoh /forum/post/16936082

Okie so far ... I know my hearing isn't that refined and any suggestions on what to get can be useful so that you have a starting place to audition them from and compare notes to.

Understood. You're looking for a base line to start from. That's understandable. But you mention that your hearing isn't that "refined." That shouldn't be the point. The point is only you will know what sounds good to you. Whether your hearing is refined, experienced, tone deaf or what.... none of that matters.

If I and a bunch of folks told you that speaker A was the best thing since sliced bread, you are now biased when you go and have a listen. Since you admit that maybe you don't have an acute ear for critical listening (and whether you do or don't, again is basically irrelevent IMHO), you may make a purchase thinking well, this is the "best" sound I can get for my budget. Yet, you could quite easily be un-impressed with Brand A and could have maybe found something that really pleased you a LOT more for the same budget, if you had just taken the time to audition as many different speakers as possible.

Trust your OWN ears is all I'm saying. Refined or not, they are what you will be listening with. Not mine or anyone elses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hoping to also hear something about sound improvements that better speakers can make ... ie. would a new 5.1 speaker kit really make that much difference? Especially when it comes to the volume up/down thing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts