AVS Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2812 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
What amp are you using? How are they wired?
I'm using a NX300D in Dual mode, 1 VBSS per channel. Right now I have the 15hz tune and that's about where they disappear.

Let me put it this way...WAF has nothing to do with the size or appearance on the boxes. These things will give you heart a massage!

·
Registered
195 Posts
What amp are you using? How are they wired?
I'm using a NX300D in Dual mode, 1 VBSS per channel. Right now I have the 15hz tune and that's about where they disappear.

Let me put it this way...WAF has nothing to do with the size or appearance on the boxes. These things will give you heart a massage!
I believe it, I can't even begin to think about turning my dual on my 1000 beyond 12 o'clock haha

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ran into a snag. For those building 38" tall slim cabs, know the > 38" bar clamps are expensive and hard to find right now. Harbor freight doesn't ship those either. My local stores are also out of clamps bigger than 12"...

I'm thinking of a couple of solutions.

1. using two clamps combined for the 38" length - not sure of these will line up correctly.

2. Using brad nails, crown staples, or screws on the bottom and
weights on the top. Since I'm building 4 boxes, I'm leaning towards just buying a few clamps and then screwing everything in and use bondo / spackle to fill in the holes. Should make 4 boxes go a lot faster as well...

Open to suggestions 🙂

Now to practice cutting a hole in mdf... I'm new to using a router to cut a circle. I bought a Jasper jig and watched a bunch of videos - looks easy...

Happy Saturday!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Ran into a snag. For those building 38" tall slim cabs, know the > 38" bar clamps are expensive and hard to find right now. Harbor freight doesn't ship those either. My local stores are also out of clamps bigger than 12"...
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pony-Pipe-Clamp/1000988984 and whatever length of pipe you need.

I've also used the multiple clamp method, although that becomes cumbersome quickly.

I build most of my boxes with brad nails/staples from a pneumatic gun. I avoid using screws on MDF because it splits so easily. If you go with screws, be sure to pre-drill the holes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pony-Pipe-Clamp/1000988984 and whatever length of pipe you need.

I've also used the multiple clamp method, although that becomes cumbersome quickly.

I build most of my boxes with brad nails/staples from a pneumatic gun. I avoid using screws on MDF because it splits so easily. If you go with screws, be sure to pre-drill the holes.
Thanks for the guidance!

The pipe clamps are more than I want to spend. I'm over budget as is (I was gonna build two, but decided to do four 🙂 )

I've screwed boxes before (car subs) and know about pre-drilling and have a counter sink. I did buy a corner clamp.

I decided to use a combination of staples and screws on the first one and go from there.

If I end up needing clamps, I'll have to order them. I'm surprised there's no cheap ones on Amazon... I have no patience I want to get started 😆

·
Registered
86 Posts
Grill cloth finally came in so I was able to finish my dual VBSS subs. Below are some pics with and without the grill. The next to last pic is a close up of the grilll. I beveled the edges to match the Polks that are on top. The last pic is before the subs.

Really happy with the performance of these subs - and love the way these came out. My new Denon AVR-X3700H should be here later today so I can set everything up and integrate the subs & mains

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Grill cloth finally came in so I was able to finish my dual VBSS subs. Below are some pics with and without the grill. The next to last pic is a close up of the grilll. I beveled the edges to match the Polks that are on top. The last pic is before the subs.

Really happy with the performance of these subs - and love the way these came out. My new Denon AVR-X3700H should be here later today so I can set everything up and integrate the subs & mains

That looks really sharp!

I am looking at starting the VBSS build - where did you get the grill cloth from? Do they just connect to the sub with rubber nubs?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Reactions: mixma

·
Registered
188 Posts
Some progress!!!

Three more to go. Should be able to finish the other three tomorrow. Going to cut the baffles out on Friday.

Made a few mistakes. That was expected and thankfully nothing major.

My ryobi narrow crown staple gun sucks for this. (No clamps). Breaking out the brad nailer and compressor tomorrow.

Counter sunk a few screws to act as clamps. The excess glue is filling a tiny gap.

I got ahead of myself and forgot to paint the port...oh well - I'll buy some fancy brush to get in there.

I have a better plan for tomorrow 🙂

More to come!

Attachments

Reactions: bubbrik

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I prefer these on the boxes, they self-seal: https://www.amazon.ca/Neutrik-NL4MPR-4-Pin-Speak-Flange/dp/B00OVAX8KE

I've used these without issue: https://www.amazon.ca/GLS-Audio-Speaker-compatible-Neutrik/dp/B00LW8VLRU (although with duties, etc. may not be any less expensive than the Monoprice you linked to)

That Noctua is shipping from the UK. This may be a better deal for you? https://www.amazon.ca/Noctua-NF-A8-PWM-4-Pin-Premium/dp/B00NEMG62M
Thank you!

The other fans I have seen show FLX that fan shows PWM (does that matter?)

*Edit
Yeah that is a 4 pin and I believe it has to be 3pin

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Thank you!

The other fans I have seen show FLX that fan shows PWM (does that matter?)

*Edit
Yeah that is a 4 pin and I believe it has to be 3pin
For an NX3k? Um, no, the fan header on the board is 2 pins.

I've used both PWM and FLX in my nu3k and NX3ks. I simply snip off the unused wires (because they don't fit between components on the board).

·
Registered
103 Posts

I've used both PWM and FLX in my nu3k and NX3ks. I simply snip off the unused wires (because they don't fit between components on the board).
Well ****, thank you for clearing that up!!

Just need to order the amp which I can do locally and then go out and grab the wood, glue...etc

Then re-arrange my current set up and get everything hooked up and ready!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am going to be ordering parts to build two VBSS units, am I missing anything?!

The ARCTIC F8 may not be a bad choice but keep in mind these cut the air flow in half or less. This thread shows what I did...not cheap tho.

I prefer these on the boxes, they self-seal: https://www.amazon.ca/Neutrik-NL4MPR-4-Pin-Speak-Flange/dp/B00OVAX8KE

I've used these without issue: https://www.amazon.ca/GLS-Audio-Speaker-compatible-Neutrik/dp/B00LW8VLRU (although with duties, etc. may not be any less expensive than the Monoprice you linked to)
I like SpeakOn connectors but they can make it difficult to get your box close to the wall.

The pins on the NX board are much narrower than the pins typically used on a 12v fan.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I like SpeakOn connectors but they can make it difficult to get your box close to the wall.
True, which is why I typically counter sink the box connector and use 90 degree SpeakOns on the cable.

The pins on the NX board are much narrower than the pins typically used on a 12v fan.
Wasn't my experience with my NX3k, but the layout may have changed since I purchased mine. I just cut the Noctua connector down to 2 wire and it slipped right on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Reactions: mixma

·
Registered
103 Posts
Questions!!
I will be cutting and gluing the MDF next week but will not have the speakers or anything else for a while (transit) so I have some questions!

1) Do These Hole Cut Dimensions Look Correct? Pulled from manufactres website so just want to double check
Hole for the sub = 16.75"
Hole for ports = 6.25"

Front Baffle hole sub = 18.25"
Front Baffle hole Port = 7.25"

Rear hole for Neutrik NL4MPR = 1"

2)Do the ports have to have any sealing done to adhere to the box as well as the screws? Or are they just cut, drop in, screw?

3)I will be buying 1.5" mattress topper, is any type of spray glue recommended for place on the rear/top or will anything work?

4)Any tips for painting?
Looking for a nice black (not textured like Duratex), was told to probably Shellac first but looks like no one here has done that, or if they did I missed it.
What works? or what should I NOT do? (no paint gun so brushing or rolling)

EDIT
added in Neutrik NL4MPR size to cut

Thanks!!

2541 - 2560 of 2812 Posts