AVS Forum banner

2561 - 2580 of 2665 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Four box shells built and ports painted.

I used glue and screws since I didn't have clamps. Bondo wood filler is cheap. I'm using ExoHyde from parts express to coat the outsides not going to fill and coat until everything else is done.

Now to cut the circles in the baffles. Never used a router before so this is gonna be interesting. Thinking of buying a couple of 2'x4' project panels to practice on.

Then once the baffles are mounted I'll add the bracing. I'm using 1x2 untreated pine. That is ok for bracing right?

Once the baffles and bracing are done, I'm drilling the holes for the speakon terminals.

Questions on wiring -

Using speakon terminals and running four speakers on the nx3000d.

I need to basically cut a single wire and make a "Y". One for each output from the nx3000d, is that correct?

In each speaker, in the speakon connector - I wire to the +1 and -1 right?

Tips so far

I found a perfect trim brush to paint the slot ports if you want to paint after assembly. I made a custom handle for it 😆. The slot port must be at least 1.5" tall to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
@mixma If you have one - a 15/16" (i originally thought it was 7/8" but its 15/16") hole is tight for the neutrix - 1 inch will give it a little wiggle, but from what I've seen it works fine.

There is a review on the parts express site that shows how to use a hole saw to recess the neutrix connector. I'm using that one as well.

The dimensions for the speaker holes look correct. I'm cutting mine today, too! I'm not using a flush baffle, but I might do a raised wood baffle later to make it look a little different.

Reactions: mixma

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cut out the four baffles and got one installed. I cut the first one (a test board) at 16.75".

It was a little big. It worked but had a lot of play.

I cut the actual ones at 16 5/8" - that was a perfect fit just enough wiggle room. I'll measure again to confirm the size.

Using t-nut inserts to mount the subs.

Should have everything ready to go tomorrow. Busy Sunday, should finish the ExoHyde on Monday.

Attachments

Reactions: Michael Mitten

·
Registered
36 Posts
if i build a 2nd one, will that get me the chest bump? i barely feel it with one sub in a small room at -30 to -20 volume range.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is everyone using to measure how their woofers react in their rooms (DB peaks, dips...etc)

Wondering where to start looking for something like that, costs, brands
..etc

Getting wood from Home Depot tonight or tomorrow - so pumped to start and I have a buyer for my CHT-12 already lined up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What is everyone using to measure how their woofers react in their rooms (DB peaks, dips...etc)

Wondering where to start looking for something like that, costs, brands
..etc

Getting wood from Home Depot tonight or tomorrow - so pumped to start and I have a buyer for my CHT-12 already lined up.
I've been far less scientific about tuning so far. $$$ is part of WAF.

I used Spectroid which is really no better than my phone mic. I can clearly see where the mic ends but it did help me quash a mean 100hz spike. You can find websites that have 1hz to 30khz sweeps. Spectroid holds the peaks and you can tune for the flattest curve...or at least tame the spikes. Worked pretty well for the price

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have two and a 3k amp in a very large and they thump, so I'd say yes. Have you tuned the DSP and/or experimented with placement (sometimes not real practical)? Or turned it up? :)
i turned the avr to -15 and felt the bed rumbling but damn i dont wanna go deaf lol. my room is small that a twin size takes up almost half of it.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
i turned the avr to -15 and felt the bed rumbling but damn i dont wanna go deaf lol. my room is small that a twin size takes up almost half of it.
Well, chest thump is typically at 50Hz or so and up to 150+. It takes high SPL in that range. Which tune did you build?

Have you measured your response at your MLP? Played with different locations for the sub (look up "sub crawl")?

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Found my answer on page 69 of this thread!
Post number?
It was just about using a cheap foamy rather than mattress topper to place around the top and sides, I have a skinny egg carton foamy (1") and it will work!

Bought 2 sheets of mdf, had them cut down to 34" and a 2x4 of 1/2" for the additional baffle, glue, epoxy, filler.

Titebond 2 is pretty much impossible to find (Canada) so I just grabbed a giant jug of carpenter glue.... hopefully that will work

Ready to start on Thursday!

I have everything ordered for two but probably stopping for more wood so I can just have it ready for 4.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm at the point where I am wondering why I decided to build 4 of these at once... I can't wait to hear them. But for my first build, I went all in.

Today I finished the bracing and installed the other three baffles. (Two were a PITA). I drilled all the holes for the t-nuts and set them in the MDF.

Need one more trip for bracing (miscalculated) and my ADD kicked in and I decided to make a partial wood wrap and stain it to match my Green Bay Packers themed room. Pics will be up tomorrow.

Had a little issue with two of the front baffles not fitting so I'm going to run a bead of caulk on
the inside seams of the box just for insurance.

Tomorrow I'll be filling the screw holes and sanding the MDF and cutting the wood trim parts. Not looking forward to the dust. I have a good mask for it, though.

Hopefully I finish on Wednesday. Not sure how long the coating will take to dry.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there any sound difference between the round ports compared to using a slotted port? I really like the looks of a slotted port as I’m used to using pro speakers and also my cats like going into the larger round ports
One time I did. It realize that one of my cats went into one of my Klipsch kpt-484 subs and was taking a catnap . That sub used a corner pyramid shaped port. I started my system up and started to watch a killer deep bass movie as the hole family was gone for the day. Let me just day this. I did not know a cat could scream and jump that high. Lol
My kids could not Figure outward that cat would not come out of hiding for over a week. Lol. As funny as that was. I always look for my cats before I start watching a movie now.
Anyway, back to my question. Is there really any sound quality difference between the two port types?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is there any sound difference between the round ports compared to using a slotted port? I really like the looks of a slotted port as I’m used to using pro speakers and also my cats like going into the larger round ports
One time I did. It realize that one of my cats went into one of my Klipsch kpt-484 subs and was taking a catnap . That sub used a corner pyramid shaped port.
At low volumes, there will be no difference. But as you approach full power, the slots will start to suffer from port compression. Especially if you have a 90 degree sharp bend on the back corner. It will generally only be a few decibels at full volume, at the tuning frequency +/- 5ish hz above and under it, so not really anything to worry about. (Unless you always listen at full tilt, and are trying to extra every last bit of performance out of your build)

Those corner triangle ports you mentioned are actually THE absolute worse shape for a port, when it comes to performance. :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
One time I did. It realize that one of my cats went into one of my Klipsch kpt-484 subs and was taking a catnap . That sub used a corner pyramid shaped port. I started my system up and started to watch a killer deep bass movie as the hole family was gone for the day. Let me just day this. I did not know a cat could scream and jump that high. Lol
My kids could not Figure outward that cat would not come out of hiding for over a week. Lol. As funny as that was. I always look for my cats before I start watching a movie now.
Round ports shouldn't be a problem unless you get another cat. :)

There is a bit of a difference in build complexity though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Building a slot port is not big deal for me
Only thinking in the sound quality and of course cat safety lol , as I’d hate to pull apart a sub to get my 20lbs cat out of the box
Lol and yes is name is Chubbs

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,579
I really doubt a full grown cat would work it's way into one of the 4" ports. But the performance difference shouldn't be enough to worry about, I designed the slot port area to be a little larger then the round ports due to the fact that there are more losses in the slot shape.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Building a slot port is not big deal for me
Only thinking in the sound quality and of course cat safety lol , as I’d hate to pull apart a sub to get my 20lbs cat out of the box
Lol and yes is name is Chubbs

I built 3 of these with my own version of the slot port tuned to 17 Hz - zero port noise. It definitely adds complexity to the build, but the looks are worth it IMO.

Attachments

2561 - 2580 of 2665 Posts