AVS Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 2665 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Make sure you are using the new NX specific amp file, the DEQ settings have been moved to PEQ on those files because some found they didn't work correctly on their amps.
Thanks for the tip! I got it all loaded up

·
Registered
170 Posts
3 of my 4 boxes have backs now, only have 8 clamps so 1 box at a time! First two subs and everything I need to get two should be here this week. The amp might might be next week.....second set of subs are backorderd so they are 3-4 weeks out ;_;

Question, should you run any type of silicone or more glue along the joints inside the box?

I used a crap ton of glue so I am pretty confident they will be sealed but only want to do this once!
Probably overkill, but I ran a bead of caulk around the inside edges. Alex flex caulk.

The joints were already screwed and glued, but I didn't want to risk it for about an hour of time and $6 in caulk

Reactions: mixma

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,603 (Edited)
I don't bother caulking the internal joints/seams. Any leak if found can easily be fixed from the outside during finishing with some filler, the paint will even end up sealing small gaps if you have them. But if the cuts were halfway decent the glue should be enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Probably overkill, but I ran a bead of caulk around the inside edges. Alex flex caulk.

The joints were already screwed and glued, but I didn't want to risk it for about an hour of time and $6 in caulk
It is pretty cheap, why not.

I don't bother caulking the internal joints/seams. Any leak if found can easily be fixed from the outside during finishing with some filler, the paint will even end up sealing small gaps if you have them. But if the cuts were halfway decent the glue should be enough.
I probably used twice as much glue as I should have and the cuts are decent (I think, lol) I read most people do not use enough glue so I went heavy but I might caulk as I am only painting the front baffle, doing the wood vinyl wrap route for the rest.

What would be a nice light, strong wood for speaker cloth to go on? like this, going for this look!

Boxes all have backs!
\Going back this Saturday to build all the internal bracing and probably seal and then line the boxes with foam.

I hope my first order arrives (subs x2 and ports x4) so that we can get two going - wood vinyl wrap might not be here until next week.

Don't want to cut any of the baffles yet before equipment arrives!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
@mixma looks great! Can't wait to see them done!

I need to build a fixed ceiling mounted shelf or find a way to isolate my projector. It vibrates during the Atmos bumper. 😆 4D theater!

·
Registered
170 Posts
@mixma looks great! Can't wait to see them done!

I need to build a fixed ceiling mounted shelf or find a way to isolate my projector. It vibrates during the Atmos bumper. 😆 4D theater!
That's a happy problem! Haha
At first, I couldn't tell if the screen was rippling, my eyes were vibrating, or the projector was shaking 😆

It only happens at the end of the Atmos bumper and the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow... That intro is INSANE! The door to my son's room rattles 😂

I got 90% of my mess cleaned up. Hopefully tomorrow I will run REW but I have no idea what to do with it yet...

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
You'll get a huge boost and easier grasp of the learning curve
starting your own thread REW thread over in the Audio Theory and Set-UP section . . .

those guys- tough but fair- they want you to succeed

Reactions: SRTpusher

·
Registered
170 Posts
You'll get a huge boost and easier grasp of the learning curve
starting your own thread REW thread over in the Audio Theory and Set-UP section . . .

those guys- tough but fair- they want you to succeed
Gonna do that today! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
49 Posts
So all this Audyssey and REW (What is REW?) I keep reading about, are they built into the Inuke or are they PC programs?

I searched and Audyssey looks like a fat short mic you plug in but it seems like everyone has whatever these are kicking around!?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
@mixma

welcome to the rabbit hole

sent you a pm about REW and audyssey threads- where it's all explained in all it's guts and glory

Reactions: mixma

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
^
Yeah, him.
and @Alan P

righteous guys

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
well, that's what I'm not sure about. I fully expected I would have the thump when remote powering off but I don't. Maybe somebody else with an NX has tried this and can post their experience.
i hooked up a TP-Link Kasa Smart plug to my nx3000d and i get an ever so slight noise when turning off but barely noticeable if at all.

it no gets powered on/off by my "Alexa, movie time" "Alexa, that's a wrap" routines.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This isn't gonna be a quick thing, is it? Seems pretty involved
If you're happy with the sound, you don't have to do anything. If you think there's something missing, you can fine tune it using REW. The amount of time it takes is proportional to your expectations. People could spend 40+ hours and still want to keep tweaking

·
Registered
86 Posts
i hooked up a TP-Link Kasa Smart plug to my nx3000d and i get an ever so slight noise when turning off but barely noticeable if at all.

it no gets powered on/off by my "Alexa, movie time" "Alexa, that's a wrap" routines.
I couldn't get Harmony to work with the TP-Link Smart plug. Harmony recognized it but all said it was disconnected so it wouldn't work with any of my harmony routines.

I ended up using an APC Power Saver strip. Works great - still no power on / power off noise.

·
Registered
170 Posts

I couldn't get Harmony to work with the TP-Link Smart plug. Harmony recognized it but all said it was disconnected so it wouldn't work with any of my harmony routines.

I ended up using an APC Power Saver strip. Works great - still no power on / power off noise.
I didn't try to put it into a harmony routine. it's in an Alexa routine that triggers the harmony routine and some other stuff.

Reactions: bubbrik

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn't try to put it into a harmony routine. it's in an Alexa routine that triggers the harmony routine and some other stuff.
ahh, I have never done any Alexa routines. Guess I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This isn't gonna be a quick thing, is it? Seems pretty involved
Keep in mind the more you tune the more you are tuning the MLP or spreading the compromise around the area you are tuning. Some get down in the scientific weeds and others just make their ear happy. It can drive you crazy...and be very rewarding.

Listening is a source of enjoyment, fiddling is another.

I did an aux triggered relay 15 years ago before all the Home Automation (HA) stuff was really a thing and, I must say, it has been more reliable that almost all of my HA stuff. It just woks and works.

2601 - 2620 of 2665 Posts