AVS Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 2840 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Small update but all 4 have fronts and 3 have been filled and sanded!

Hopefully wire the connects up on Thursday, took a day off.

Still waiting on the amp and 2x Subs and 4x port kits. Amp is from a local store and ordered July 6 so hopefully soon as I could have ordered online and gotten it by now :/

Oh well waiting for other parts but would be cool to see how two sound at the very least.

MVIMG_20200801_110927.jpg MVIMG_20200801_110935.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh my God this thread has got too much information for me to follow! I think I stopped reading after around 300 posts! I posted the below up in the Subwoofer forum and was referred to you experts in this thread.

Yeah...so some background. Basement (concrete floor covered by thick carpet and padding) is about 4000 cu. ft in volume. Storage area is beyond that, but can be blocked off. I was going to buy (2) smaller subs, but the guy I was going to buy them from screwed me over. My wife stated that since I worked my butt off redoing the basement myself, and due to the stress of my job, I should get whatever I want within reason (Budget $600-ish). Whatever I dont spend on a sub would go to getting a better DVD player (4K) and receiver. The area will be used about 99% of the time for Home Theater.....rarely if ever would I be listening to music. Size constraints.....none that my wife has told me about, but it does need to be "reasonable" in size.

DIY is not out of the question (I am also a licensed general contractor, and I have all the wood working tools I would need. Plus, I even know how to use them!). Does anyone have any recommendations for what sub to build (cut list and such), driver to put in, and what amp to run? I am not a "bass-head", but a good thump would be nice. I am legit confused by all the options out there, and just need a down and dirty recommendation!

Reactions: John Dowty

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Oh my God this thread has got too much information for me to follow! I think I stopped reading after around 300 posts! I posted the below up in the Subwoofer forum and was referred to you experts in this thread.

Yeah...so some background. Basement (concrete floor covered by thick carpet and padding) is about 4000 cu. ft in volume. Storage area is beyond that, but can be blocked off. I was going to buy (2) smaller subs, but the guy I was going to buy them from screwed me over. My wife stated that since I worked my butt off redoing the basement myself, and due to the stress of my job, I should get whatever I want within reason (Budget $600-ish). Whatever I dont spend on a sub would go to getting a better DVD player (4K) and receiver. The area will be used about 99% of the time for Home Theater.....rarely if ever would I be listening to music. Size constraints.....none that my wife has told me about, but it does need to be "reasonable" in size.

DIY is not out of the question (I am also a licensed general contractor, and I have all the wood working tools I would need. Plus, I even know how to use them!). Does anyone have any recommendations for what sub to build (cut list and such), driver to put in, and what amp to run? I am not a "bass-head", but a good thump would be nice. I am legit confused by all the options out there, and just need a down and dirty recommendation!
For your budget (assuming $600 toward subs) 2 VBSS's or 2 PA-460 Devastators would be a good choice. It's always best to add 2 subs for the help with nulls in the room and to even out the response (especially with a room your size - my room is half yours). I own 2 Lavoce 21" Devastators, a dual VBSS, and a UM18 in a full Marty. The 21" Devastators are the best by quite a bit but will not fit your budget. The UM18s are very popular around here and they do great on the low end but I think I'd take a VBSS over the UM18 simply because the midbass difference is significant.

The 1st post in this thread has what you need for a VBSS (18" Dayton Audio PA460 drivers from Parts express - $99 each). If you want a DSP (EQ for your subs) most here use a Behringer(NX1000D or NX3000D - all this is described in the first post along with config files specifically for those amps). You will need an RCA to speakon adapter to connect your sub-out from your AVR to the amp and you'll need a 2 or 4 pole Neutrik adapter (depending on the setup you choose) to connect your speaker wire.

The Devastator thread has details and cutlists for many of the choices. I believe the Mini Devastator 18" 40"x25.5"x24" version is the preferred choice for a PA460 but there are other options. The Devastator is a little more complicated to build(I built 2 and have no woodworking skills) and is a bigger box over the VBSS. You can still use the same amp so the cost is about the same other than you may need more wood with the Devastator.

Be sure to google coupons from Parts Express before making a purchase. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
.... I own 2 Lavoce 21" Devastators, a dual VBSS, and a UM18 in a full Marty....
Are these all in the same room?

I have room for 2 Devs along the walls and 2 VBSSs under my mains, with a PA460 in each. I'm definitely building the Devs, but am on the fence about adding the VBSSs. I know it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I'd love your take on what, if anything, the VBSS adds to the experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Are these all in the same room?

I have room for 2 Devs along the walls and 2 VBSSs under my mains, with a PA460 in each. I'm definitely building the Devs, but am on the fence about adding the VBSSs. I know it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I'd love your take on what, if anything, the VBSS adds to the experience.

Thanks!
Yes. I have an odd shaped room so the positioning of my subs differs from most here. I have two 21" Lavoce V5 devastators co-located and just in front and to the right side of my front seating seating (4' away from the right seat) with the UM18 a couple feet behind the back row. I couldn't tell where a lot of the low end bass was coming from but midbass felt very heavy on the right side which might be something to keep in mind if you are putting two on the same wall.

To correct this I built a dual VBSS and put it on the opposite side of the room and it really helped even out the midbass in my area. These drivers can't be beat for the money. Mine don't sound quite as deep as my devastators but while my VBSSs are tuned to 18Hz, the box is a little smaller than the recommended size so that might affect this somewhat. They really bring it with midbass and definitely added to my room. (y)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Been 1 month since I tried to bring in the NX3000D amp to a local shop given the whole support local thing but they can't tell me anything just that it has been ordered, .......Shipped? Ordered? It's in stock on the other side of the world with like 5-8 day shipping.

Well, I am done waiting so I ordered from Music Red One and it was $485 after tax, local would have been $520 and change. So it should be arriving next week!

I wired all of the boxes up and painted the insides so that if you look in the ports it will be black. Had to build a jig but it works; however, we fast found out that after the first baffle cut for the 18" sub hole that that middle part falls out so we have this baffle with 98% perfect circle and then the bottom juts as it kicked a bit.

I am thinking we can sand it to smooth it as it's not that bad but it will always be there.

All the holes for these were cut with a jigsaw, I made sure the baffles will be done with the router but didn't take any pics as we only got one done.

*Subs, port and cloth arrived - just need the amp and to finish these up!!

MVIMG_20200806_142243.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks!
I am excited and I still have reservations at how something good this 'cheap' will sound but I just know it is going to leave me grinning and laughing like an idiot!
i can't wait for your reaction... i giggled maniacally with my 17 yo son next to me. he was grinning too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can't wait!

Moving home theatre around, wall mounted TV today and two boxes have baffles now.

Two more to go, sand, paint, vinyl, wires...

Not quite home stretch but soon!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know I posted before and asked about stacking and if it was ok, found out it allows the sub to act as a single sub (so two rather than 4 seperate subs it will be 2) but after measuring I can fit all 4 across......which way is best?

Without access to a UMIK-1....what is the best way to set the a room up - technically? I only have the built in mic that my PioneerVSX-1131 has.

Room 1 Side-by-side or Room 2 stacked?
Did some sweet photoshop to remove AV stand and stuff as TV was mounted yesterday - big mess.

Thanks!

Room 1 Side-by-side
Room1.jpg

Room 2 - Stacked
Room2.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Where are your left and rights going?
Looks nice :D
They will be in front of the subs (Energy RC-70's)

They 'might' be able to fit in the same row if I stack the subs on top of each other...only my have 13.5ft across.

I had the TV on the left side of the room and it was only 10.5" before the door so getting the extra 3ft was a must!

Mounted TV a smidge high too so I can mow up to a 75" or 80" in the near Future!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finally finished my first pair ! Thanks to Mr @LTD02 for reworking the dimensions and answering a thousand questions. Dimensions are currently 20"H-16"D-48"L, building another pair for the rear, wife doesn't know yet ....
That looks awesome and I have the RC-70's as well!
Trying to look at an amp to give them some more kick....have only ever hooked speakers up to the receiver.

I am still trying to figure out how I should have my subs 4 across the front, or 2 and 2 stacked (No UMIK-1) to measure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trying to look at an amp to give them some more kick....have only ever hooked speakers up to the receiver.

I am still trying to figure out how I should have my subs 4 across the front, or 2 and 2 stacked (No UMIK-1) to measure.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the rc-70s powered off my receiver. An amplifier would definitely help they are not a very efficient speakers from what I recall.

You will have to play around with your placement until your happy with them is my best guess. I'll be putting the other pair I'm building along the back wall and go from there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the rc-70s powered off my receiver. An amplifier would definitely help they are not a very efficient speakers from what I recall.

You will have to play around with your placement until your happy with them is my best guess. I'll be putting the other pair I'm building along the back wall and go from there.
I came from Fluance ES-1 floor standing speakers and the RC-70's were a jaw dropping upgrade! Mid bass I have been missing for 10 years! lol
I was chatting with someone and might just be better (for me) at this stage to upgrade the receiver as I don't ever listen to just 2 channel.

I am thinking you are right!
It just sucks as I am going to be building speaker grills and if they are going to be stacked I was going to make them look like 1 giant speaker.

I can just build the grills later I guess!

·
Registered
144 Posts

Try them both ways. Probably won't be able to tell any difference because of the time it takes to reconfigure. It'll be like nothing you've ever heard!

Kind of a crappy alternative to a Umike is Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO or Spectroid for Android. It is subject to the limitations of your phones mic but it dialed my 2x VBSS system right in (nasty spike at 100hz, well within my phone's hardware capabilities). The most important thing is that your ear is happy, not necessarily an analyzer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Question--and apologies if it has been answered, did some digging but didnt find anything. I am about to start building one of these, powered by an NX3000D. I am planning to start with one, but may end up building another one later on. I know that the design is built to be powered by one channel of the amp. Do I need to change anything wiring-wise going from one to two? No harm just running one of these off the single output channel of the amp?

I am currently planning to run AVR out -> RCA to XLR -> NX3000D input 1 -> NX3000D output A -> single sub. Is that right? And then if I add a second one, the only change would be NX3000D output A -> sub 1 and NX3000D output B -> sub 2?

Thank you!

2661 - 2680 of 2840 Posts