AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 2854 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try them both ways. Probably won't be able to tell any difference because of the time it takes to reconfigure. It'll be like nothing you've ever heard!

Kind of a crappy alternative to a Umike is Advanced Spectrum Analyzer PRO or Spectroid for Android. It is subject to the limitations of your phones mic but it dialed my 2x VBSS system right in (nasty spike at 100hz, well within my phone's hardware capabilities). The most important thing is that your ear is happy, not necessarily an analyzer.
App downloaded as I saw it from some subcrawl alternative but I will try it out and see!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Question--and apologies if it has been answered, did some digging but didnt find anything. I am about to start building one of these, powered by an NX3000D. I am planning to start with one, but may end up building another one later on. I know that the design is built to be powered by one channel of the amp. Do I need to change anything wiring-wise going from one to two? No harm just running one of these off the single output channel of the amp?

I am currently planning to run AVR out -> RCA to XLR -> NX3000D input 1 -> NX3000D output A -> single sub. Is that right? And then if I add a second one, the only change would be NX3000D output A -> sub 1 and NX3000D output B -> sub 2?

Thank you!
I'm running 1 4ohm VBSS on each channel of a NX3000D. Works perfect! You'll see the input/output config in NXEDIT. I have 2 in and 2 out, sounds like you'll have 1 in and 2 out. That'll be fine.

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Boxes are baffled, just have to sand them down and amp is out for delivery today

But a wrench was thrown in plans for today as of last night due to a phone call....

...have to stay home for a week as wife's co-worker tested positive for COVID so that's exciting.

Thankfully today is the 7th day since 'contact' (masked on, social distancing in a meeting) so they figure chances of transfer is minimal.

Good news is that out of a dozen people, no one else has any symptoms - Health groups calls and runs through everything and the average to show signs is 5 days. Chances of all 12 not being average is not.... average, lol.

So next week I hope to get back out to sand and solder connects and Y cables up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
With the NX3000D -
Do I just hook it up to PC, start the program and then load the "VBSS NX DSP " file and save it as a preset, turn amp on and select the VBSS preset? ....nothing else?!

Just going to get amp set up and ready so I can do ham when I am allowed out of the house, lol.

·
Registered
7.1 - 2x V.B.S.S / 3x 1099s / Klipsch Side&Rears
90 Posts
That's it. :) The software is pretty intuitive if you are decently PC literate.
Just make sure to select w/e you tuned yours for (15hz, 20hz, etc..)
Good luck to ya, and be sure to share whatcha think of them. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's it. :) The software is pretty intuitive if you are decently PC literate.
Just make sure to select w/e you tuned yours for (15hz, 20hz, etc..)
Good luck to ya, and be sure to share whatcha think of them. :D
Thanks!
I've set up a few Raspberry Pi's, swapped my house over to a Konnected alarm (nothing crazy as I can follow instructions well, lol) so I was just thinking this was easy, too easy....lol

I have to sand, paint, vinyl and wire....hopefully done soon.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
With the NX3000D -
Do I just hook it up to PC, start the program and then load the "VBSS NX DSP " file and save it as a preset, turn amp on and select the VBSS preset? ....nothing else?!

Just going to get amp set up and ready so I can do ham when I am allowed out of the house, lol.
For many, that's the starting point.

Do you have a calibrated mic and REW? Do you plan to take measurements and improve the FR?

·
Registered
7.1 - 2x V.B.S.S / 3x 1099s / Klipsch Side&Rears
90 Posts
Ya, I debated for a while if the Umik-1 and REW was worth it.. after getting one and setting the eq's in the NX.. I'm quite happy I did.
It's nice to ensure your levels are good, and getting a flat response (before adding your house curve) is great. Well worth the time to learn, and the ~$100 for the mic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not sure if I may be suffering from brain trauma or if this is actually just this difficult to undo but I can't seem to get this speakon connector to unlock and twist off the blue collar. It's not cross threaded I could hear it it clicking like it was locking into place.
IMG_20200828_095147.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you have a calibrated mic and REW? Do you plan to take measurements and improve the FR?
I do not, I have looked at it from Solen.ca $124 plus shipping and I don't think it comes calibrated. Was trying to find one used.

Ya, I debated for a while if the Umik-1 and REW was worth it.. after getting one and setting the eq's in the NX.. I'm quite happy I did.
It's nice to ensure your levels are good, and getting a flat response (before adding your house curve) is great. Well worth the time to learn, and the ~$100 for the mic.
Keeping eyes peeled for a used one!

I'm not sure if I may be suffering from brain trauma or if this is actually just this difficult to undo but I can't seem to get this speakon connector to unlock and twist off the blue collar. It's not cross threaded I could hear it it clicking like it was locking into place.
Found this might help

·
Registered
625 Posts
View attachment 3032245
I had this same exact problem. It will come off but you most likely will need a pair of pilers or vice grips to get enough leverage to do it. They are rugged so eat your Wheaties and give it a turn!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
What's the best thing to stuff a port with? I want to take my 20hz boxes to their 15hz tune. I'm probably over thinking this.

Towels? Pillow? Foam?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
What's the best thing to stuff a port with? I want to take my 20hz boxes to their 15hz tune. I'm probably over thinking this.

Towels? Pillow? Foam?
Nerf ball? Towel should do it too...

·
Registered
146 Posts

Your response curve will go up or down in certain bands just by taking a step in any direction. You can precisely tune one position, average the room, or somewhere in between. IOW: Your ear may be happy here but not over there. The most important thing is scaring the cats. 🤣

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Your response curve will go up or down in certain bands just by taking a step in any direction. You can precisely tune one position, average the room, or somewhere in between. IOW: Your ear may be happy here but not over there. The most important thing is scaring the cats. 🤣
Not sure why this was directed at me?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure why this was directed at me?
Sorry, not picking on ya. You said "For many that's the starting point." This can become quite a chase for people with circumstances similar to mine, with a near perfect outcome only in certain places in a room. I may get torched for saying that the most important thing is an enjoyable listening experience. For me (and many) most of the enjoyment is in listening.

Going into the minutia can in itself be rewarding in knowing that the sound quality is as close to theoretically perfect as possible. Plus, (in the case of DIY home enthusiasts), this is a hobby meant to be an enjoyable way to pass time. Building, listening and tweaking can all be the source of enjoyment.

Many people like me do not have an optimized listening area so it's futile to seek theoretical perfection. I have a fairly discerning ear and that's the problem. As I move around the room I can hear definite changes in the sound. That's something I just have to live with. Sounds fantastic to the ear with very little looking at anything with the eye.

2681 - 2700 of 2854 Posts