AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2840 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Sorry, not picking on ya. You said "For many that's the starting point." This can become quite a chase for people with circumstances similar to mine, with a near perfect outcome only in certain places in a room.
Many people like me do not have an optimized listening area so it's futile to seek theoretical perfection.
Oh, I completely agree (Living room HT myself). One of the worst things I ever did was measure the FR... :oops:

I'm just saying that response would have been better for @mixma to read and understand, and I hope he saw it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have two questions concerning a 2 sub setup using a NX3000D with the bi-amp wiring setting.

1) Outputs: channel A wired +1/-1, channel B wired +2/-2, and only channel A's input should matter since it's bi-wiring?

2) What could be causing the amp to produce feedback into the whole system? When I attach the input it issues feedback into all speakers. Unplugged from amp no feedback.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have two questions concerning a 2 sub setup using a NX3000D with the bi-amp wiring setting.

1) Outputs: channel A wired +1/-1, channel B wired +2/-2, and only channel A's input should matter since it's bi-wiring?
Errm, no. Why did you wire them that way? If using both channels straight you should be +1/-1 on each channel. If you only have a single input to the NX3K use one of the Biamp modes.

2) What could be causing the amp to produce feedback into the whole system? When I attach the input it issues feedback into all speakers. Unplugged from amp no feedback.
Could be the incorrect wiring. Or you may be experiencing ground loop feedback.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oh, I completely agree (Living room HT myself). One of the worst things I ever did was measure the FR... :oops:

I'm just saying that response would have been better for @mixma to read and understand, and I hope he saw it.
I saw!
Got around to sanding more and two coats of paint! Probably sand a smidge more, paint and then vinyl wrap and solder connects. Home stretch!

My last sub I dropped into my corner, sounded ok do I turned it around so that the port faces the wall and you see the plate amp...sounded way better but that's all the tweaking ive done with the sub in the 10 years I've owned it.

I'm sure these 4 VBSS will be better and I'll be fine with any placement! I was born hard of hearing ao I'm pretty easy to please but I still love awesome sounding music!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Errm, no. Why did you wire them that way? If using both channels straight you should be +1/-1 on each channel. If you only have a single input to the NX3K use one of the Biamp modes.

Could be the incorrect wiring. Or you may be experiencing ground loop feedback.
I misinterpreted something I read, looking back it seems obvious. It's wired correctly now.

So both subs are powered but I'm still getting feedback and it's exclusively from the amp. When the input is connected to the receiver buzz, unplug no buzz. (Edit: there is a buzz without the amp connected. It only increases significantly with the amp plugged in)
I tried wiring everything to a few different outlets and all of it wired into the cyber power surge with no change.

I'm not going to clog up VBSS talk with tech issues, but I just wonder if it's an issue caused by the amp? I know it's emitting from there but I wonder if it's settings related or hardware.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I'm not going to clog up VBSS talk with tech issues, but I just wonder if it's an issue caused by the amp? I know it's emitting from there but I wonder if it's settings related or hardware.

In my case the solution was twofold: grounding the amp to the AVR, and putting an isolator on the incoming CATV cable.

·
Registered
67 Posts

In my case the solution was twofold: grounding the amp to the AVR, and putting an isolator on the incoming CATV cable.
Not to drag this out any further but I have a final update. It would seem that the issue is a ground loop feedback and it is coming from the projector through the HDMI cable. To test this theory I disconnected the ground from the outlet going to the projector and it eliminated 99% of the hum with only a bit of white noise remaining.

An interesting side note. With no signal being input into the receiver when I turn the volume all the way up you can faintly hear a local radio station.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does that happen to be the same station your tuner is set to? Internal crosstalk inside your IA?
I just plugged in the receiver for the first time ever fresh out of the box. The tuners never been turned on no stations have ever been touched. It went from setup to HDMI input and that's it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
On the NX3000D since I am running two per channel (2xA and 2xB) do the settings below look correct?
Dual mode makes the most sense to me but the nx3000d file defaulted to Bi-Amp 1....

1 or 2 more visits left and I the sub boxes will be DONE!!!

First time I turned the amp on and it made a 'pop' sound....no smell or anything and nothing is hooked up.
I wasn't expecting any sounds at all thought, lol - could be the caps or what not getting their first taste?

Hopefully normal but I have nothing to test output with so hopefully all is good and working! Turned in back on/off and unplugged and no more pops.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dual is correct if you have 2 lines going in. Many systems have only 1 sub channel (as in 5.1 and 7.1) but some have 2 sub channels (as in 7.2). My IA is older and has two preamp out->in so I put splitters in there and ran one side back into the IA and the other side to my NX3000D.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dual is correct if you have 2 lines going in. Many systems have only 1 sub channel (as in 5.1 and 7.1) but some have 2 sub channels (as in 7.2). My IA is older and has two preamp out->in so I put splitters in there and ran one side back into the IA and the other side to my NX3000D.
So I have one sub out to the amp from my receiver...so that means dual is incorrect for my setup!

Going to have to check options as I'm soldering wires tomorrow!

What mode is single sub out to amp but 2 subs per channel?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bi-Amp 1 or 2 depending only on which input you wish to use on the back is the amp. They work exactly the same other than that. You could also use a splitter but then you'll have the related cost, shipping delays and additional connection points.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Back on pages 132 and 133, there was some discussion on the size of the circle cutout but nothing definitive. For those who have actually cut those circles, what was your final measurement?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Can someone point me to the dual VBSS tower reference design? I think the link in the opening post points to the wrong spot, probably due to the site upgrade. Thanks!

2701 - 2720 of 2840 Posts