AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2840 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Can someone point me to the dual VBSS tower reference design? I think the link in the opening post points to the wrong spot, probably due to the site upgrade. Thanks!
If you remove the "page-xxx#" from the link it will take you right to it (different post count per page now). Eg.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Welcome, make sure to share pics!

I didn't take any pics of the soldering but all the interconnects are done, Y cables soldered. Just need to vinyl wrap and then toss the ports and subs in!

4th one is in the back, did a couple coats incase the vinyl looks meh.

View attachment 3034560
Nice Pictures. I see you double baffled. What was the size of the vent cutouts on both baffles? If I am not mistaken, the vent flares are less than half inch thick, did you router the outer baffle edges to get a flush fit?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice Pictures. I see you double baffled. What was the size of the vent cutouts on both baffles? If I am not mistaken, the vent flares are less than half inch thick, did you router the outer baffle edges to get a flush fit?
16.5" for large inner cut, 18" for outer baffle.
I actually can't remember for ports but I did router for a flush fit, I think it was 1/8" down.

I asked a few pages back, you can check my history as mtg90 answered my flush fit question. (On phone, searching is meh)

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
If you remove the "page-xxx#" from the link it will take you right to it (different post count per page now).
Excellent, thanks! Trying to see if I can adapt to 32" x 32" bottom dimensions and still get both drivers on the front (and then tip it for down-firing)... doesn't look like it's going to work.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
16.5" for large inner cut, 18" for outer baffle.
I actually can't remember for ports but I did router for a flush fit, I think it was 1/8" down.

I asked a few pages back, you can check my history as mtg90 answered my flush fit question. (On phone, searching is meh)
Thanks, Mixma, I found the MTG90 response to the flush fit vents. Anyway, I got bored and decided to cut some MDF ----enough to build 8 VBSSs. It seems that these VB subs are best in multiples, so I will start with 8 and go from there :D
IMG_2925.JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks, Mixma, I found the MTG90 response to the flush fit vents. Anyway, I got bored and decided to cut some MDF ----enough to build 8 VBSSs. It seems that these VB subs are best in multiples, so I will start with 8 and go from there :D
That is a crap ton to start out with, coming out of the gates hard!!

I am replacing a single 12" with 4x18" and if I wasn't vinyl wrapping my boxes I would be done by now - soon.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
That is a crap ton to start out with, coming out of the gates hard!!

I am replacing a single 12" with 4x18" and if I wasn't vinyl wrapping my boxes I would be done by now - soon.
Going from a single 12 to 4 x 18s will be a significant upgrade. Vinyl wrapping adds a certain classiness to the look of the sub for sure, and there's an art to doing it properly; an ability I, unfortunately, do not possess. I look forward to seeing the final product and reading your listening impressions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Currently have 4 VBSS with a 20Hz tune. I'm about to move those to a 15 Hz tune. I'll be looking for some more midrange. What is a good frequency tune if I were going to build two more VBSS for music? They'd be run off their own nx3000d.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Currently have 4 VBSS with a 20Hz tune. I'm about to move those to a 15 Hz tune. I'll be looking for some more midrange. What is a good frequency tune if I were going to build two more VBSS for music? They'd be run off their own nx3000d.
I thought 20hz was music/movies and these are already supposed to be midbass beasts; however, if you take the mid section out of each flared port and just do flares end to end you get 31hz which is more music BUT the difference doesn't look huge and 20hz is the sweet spot.

15hz, 20hz and 31hz from the 1st post.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I am only in the early stages of my build (8 VBs), but I am trying to understand how to set up amplification. I will be using an inuke 3000DSP to power all of the subs--4 in front behind the screen and 4 near-field behind the sectional/couch. The four front subs will be powered by Channel A and the four rear subs will be powered by channel B. However, @mtg90 recommended using Bi-amp 1 mode, which (if I understand correctly), will require me to run everything through channel A input, thereby preventing independent control of the two channels. Upon further reading, it appears that I can use the amp in Dual Mono mode which WILL allow for independent controls of the two channels. Since the DSP setting/filters were specifically created for use in Bi-amp 1 mode, what effect will Dual Mono mode have on the DSP settings?

I am probably overthinking this, but I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
However, @mtg90 recommended using Bi-amp 1 mode, which (if I understand correctly), will require me to run everything through channel A input, thereby preventing independent control of the two channels.
The Biamp modes allow independent settings for each of the 2 outputs.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Thanks, guys, I think I understand what you are saying. But what I am trying to nail down is whether I can simply upload MTG90's Inuke DSP settings--while in dual mono mode--and not have to change anything else. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Thanks, guys, I think I understand what you are saying. But what I am trying to nail down is whether I can simply upload MTG90's Inuke DSP settings--while in dual mono mode--and not have to change anything else. Is that correct?
If you look at the "VBSS XXHz Port Tune.nxp" files in the first post (they're just plain text files) you'll see that both channels will be set the same if applied.

You'll still need to adjust other PEQ settings based on REW measurements.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
If you have the space you could do two PA460s in a V1 Devastator and get around a 3dB boost for midbass duties.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
You'll still need to adjust other PEQ settings based on REW measurements.
With the exception of setting a delay for the near-field subs, I didn't think I would have to adjust other PEQ settings after uploading the DSP file. I am not yet familiar with REW, but I did recently purchase a minidsp 2x4 HD and a umik. I am looking forward to learning REW, although I must admit it all seems a bit intimidating and compllicated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You'll most likely need to make corrections for your listening space. Everything in a room including it's shape, shapes and textures of furniture, etc., will have an effect on the sound. I used Spectroid (which has the limitations of my phone mic) and it sounds beautiful! As I move around the room though, I can hear definite changes in all frequencies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You'll most likely need to make corrections for your listening space. Everything in a room including it's shape, shapes and textures of furniture, etc., will have an effect on the sound. I used Spectroid (which has the limitations of my phone mic) and it sounds beautiful! As I move around the room though, I can hear definite changes in all frequencies.
Is there a tutorial for making adjustments on the DSP to what you see in the graph? or is it along the lines of oh, you have a 3db null at 50hz so you bump up 50hz +3db to compensate?

I've not dived in yet (paranoid that my amp will have issues since the loud pop when I turned it on...but I can't test on anything..) but I should have the sub boxes in my room next week!

2721 - 2740 of 2840 Posts