AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 2858 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
That would make sense, lol.

Are people changing the settings to get higher results? If so I am golden, it just sounded like I was the only one without yellow or red bars when I was using them.
it is green 90% of the time. i am playing two very specific passages of movies that i know have higher output levels. the intro to Edge of Tomorrow and Godzilla: KOTM at 1:35:38. play these an i guarantee you will see more than one green light...

Reactions: mixma

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you load the corrected NX file? Some people had found the inuke settings (DEQ filters specifically) didn't play nice with the NX amplifiers so I moved those filters over to the standard PEQ slots.

If setting the limiter to -2dB eliminates the popping then I would leave it at that (actually adjust both channels to -2.0dB). It's normal that Vp drops with the lower limiter setting as you are decreasing the maximum output voltage/power from the amp with the limiter.

It is possible that the one channel on your amp has just slightly higher voltage sensitivity then the other allowing it to clip with the standard limiter setting. Otherwise the limiter on that channel could be slightly out of calibration or the voltage rail of the amp is running a little lower then normal. In any case dropping the limiter setting until the clipping is eliminated would be the best option. If -2.0dB works then your only loosing 0.5dB of peak output which is practically unnoticeable.
yep - double checked the file. i accidentally d/l the wrong one but the file extension is different and won't load in the NX Edit app.

i watched king kong yesterday and it was pretty awesome. i could tell it was pushing but no pops.

i feel i have my system dialed in pretty good. the front stage is clear when the bass is kicking. if i turn the main volume up on the AVR to where the nx3000 is bouncing off the limiter a lot(meaning i'd have to cut my subwoofer dB), it is way too loud for comfort up front.

music gets STOOOPID. Bassnectar sounds really good. i think i just need some more mids (think the toms on a drum set). those are usually in the 80 - 100Hz range and that's where my boxes fall off.

·
Registered
189 Posts
just thought of something... since i want the subs to play more midbass as well, i shouldn't set the sub-woofer crossover on my AVR, correct? would i just run a full signal to the LFE and handle the low pass filter in the amp?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here is my version of the slot ported dual PA460 enclosure with a 20hz tune. 18 inch slot port . Two of these should be plenty in a 12x14 room.

View attachment 3041119
Can you post the specs please?...especially interested in the shallow depth and port dimensions. Thanks

I’m looking at doing 2 dual boxes myself. The original dual box was 26,880cu/in measuring externally. 60x15x30 would yield 27,00cu/in. The porting is what has me stumped. Will the same 3 round ports work, stacked on 1 end? Or 2 one end, 1 other end?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Any thoughts on 2 dual boxes, nearfield behind couches, would compare to 2 Stonehenge? I already have an iNuke 3000dsp. This is in a 30x40x13 (cathedral ceiling) room with concrete floors.

I’m coming from a single full Marty SI18D2.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Did anyone try to build these in sonotubes?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can you post the specs please?...especially interested in the shallow depth and port dimensions. Thanks

I’m looking at doing 2 dual boxes myself. The original dual box was 25,200 cu/in. By my math the same volume is achieved with boxes measuring: 60x15x28 or 60x14x30. The porting is what has me stumped. Will the same 3 round ports work, stacked on 1 end? Or 2 one end, 1 other end?

Will do, External dimensions:

29 Tall, 20 Deep, 46 wide. Slot port is L shaped 2" tall, 20 wide and 18" in overall length.

When I get home I can share more photos with dimensions added. 15.25 cu ft

·
Registered
131 Posts
You're not listening loud enough! lol

As long as the sub seems to be working correctly and sounds loud enough for you there is no reason for concern. On the NX3000 the other two lights (yellow?) are at -6dB and -3dB showing you are closing in on max output with the red light showing you are hitting the limiter.

If you connect the amp to your PC and let the software run you can watch the output levels while you play music/movies and see where things are at.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was set up correctly! I will connect to a laptop and see as I am curious.

Will be ordering a mic as well so I can sweet and tune as some songs with a clean kick are mind blowing and sound amazing while others (normally with a bass line) or so sounds boomy and muddy so I want to see if I can correct this. I know my last sub had issues (Velodyne CHT-12) as well with certain songs and such so it's my room.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was set up correctly! I will connect to a laptop and see as I am curious.

Will be ordering a mic as well so I can sweet and tune as some songs with a clean kick are mind blowing and sound amazing while others (normally with a bass line) or so sounds boomy and muddy so I want to see if I can correct this. I know my last sub had issues (Velodyne CHT-12) as well with certain songs and such so it's my room.

I have 2 VBSS subs run off a INuke 3000DSP in my living room.... They rock the house and most things around it. I cant wait to get the two twin 18's built for my HT room

·
Registered
3,976 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am strongly considering having 2 duels built. Based on the frequency response on the first page of the single 18, would the duels be pretty much the same only a little more (6db) efficient?
Same question here I think...how much better are 4 than 2 of these? I have room for 2 duals.
I have 4 singles and if you have the room I say do it, these things are impressive!!

Adding more subs would give you, at best, 3b more per sub but also more head room to go louder. Doubling power is also 3db gin (at best). You would also have more seats covered with bass, not just one main listening area.

Unless I am mistaken (someone please correct me) I believe having a single dual box would be similar to a single sub as you want two subs or two dual subs to even out the listening area.

Read next comment for way better and accurate information, lol

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,814
Each doubling of subwoofers gives a theoretical 6dB of additional output/headroom. 3db is gained in efficiency by doubling the number of woofers/box volume and 3dB is gained by having the ability to send twice the total power.

Two subs vs one sub (or 4 vs 2) will generally sound/feel somewhere in the range of 1.5-2x as loud or powerful.

now when subs are spaced apart in a room you may not see a full 6dB of gain in output across the entire range from the doubling just because of the different interactions between the subs and the room. But generally when the subs are placed next to each other or stacked (or built as duals) you will often come very close to the full 6dB gain.

Side note: by running double the subs you only require half the power to achieve the same output level so you can claim it's more energy efficient!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Side note: by running double the subs you only require half the power to achieve the same output level so you can claim it's more energy efficient!
That's just silly talk right there!!!! Why on earth would anyone want to use half power? 😂😂🤣 I got ya though. Just found it funny.
I have 3 Adcom GFA-555 amps. May get one more so I can keep my 15s going too. I expect to need a miniDSP, is there a file for it that can be used on the VBSSs?

·
Registered
189 Posts
after messing with REW and the nx edit app i really wish i would have gone the nx3000 without dsp and bought the mini dsp. you can load eq maps into the mini dsp generated by REW. i may still do that. i have the theoretical "extra pay check" in october... it would save a TON of time entering in the EQ settings

Reactions: Michael Mitten

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
On the first post, @mtg90 indicated that he used R13 Denim insulation. Unfortunately, that particular type of insulation is very difficult to find in (GTA) Canada. I found/bought some at Rona but it is only R8 (thinner). I was wondering if I can use the R8 as shown in the OP or should I stack the insulation for a quasi R13?

·
Registered
131 Posts
On the first post, @mtg90 indicated that he used R13 Denim insulation. Unfortunately, that particular type of insulation is very difficult to find in (GTA) Canada. I found/bought some at Rona but it is only R8 (thinner). I was wondering if I can use the R8 as shown in the OP or should I stack the insulation for a quasi R13?
Anything that is semi solid and not going to blow out the ports (or cause fibers in your air) should work just fine!

I spent $50 or so on Queen foam mattress toppers from Walmart for mine, cheap and effective!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, Rona has this, 2" thick. I used it in my build, seems alright to me

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Thanks, Olegg, I think that is exactly what I got (8 units) which has a R8 ratings. It's just that MTG90 used the R13 version and is a bit thicker. But if you used the R8 version and it worked well enough I will just use that as well, since I already have it in hand.

2801 - 2820 of 2858 Posts