AVS Forum banner

2821 - 2840 of 2858 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
@mtg90 Thank you for your awesome build design.

I have few questions if you can please answer
I have build 2 subs, one in baffle wall and other as a night table (near field), both powered by Behringer NX3000D. Also, I recently bought UMIK microphone and miniDSP 2x4 HD.

Should I ignore/delete dsp settings from Behringer and configure everything on miniDSP side or they can work together? If they work together and my tuning is 20Hz - any preferable changes on amp side? How would you configure the subs for the best performance? Maybe change Behringer for Crown XLS-1502?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Try both and measure using REW, use the one that measures better or sounds better :)

@mtg90 Thank you for your awesome build design.

Should I ignore/delete dsp settings from Behringer and configure everything on miniDSP side or they can work together? If they work together and my tuning is 20Hz - any preferable changes on amp side? How would you configure the subs for the best performance? Maybe change Behringer for Crown XLS-1502?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,824
They can work together, If you want to use both I'd be inclined to load the VBSS presets onto the Behringer and do all other adjustments and tuning (delay/room EQ) with the miniDSP. But personally I'd first try tuning everything with the NX3000D if possible to do so without running out of EQ slots as it simplifies the signal chain.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They can work together, If you want to use both I'd be inclined to load the VBSS presets onto the Behringer and do all other adjustments and tuning (delay/room EQ) with the miniDSP. But personally I'd first try tuning everything with the NX3000D if possible to do so without running out of EQ slots as it simplifies the signal chain.
Thanks, would you remind how to load presets into NX3000D? Is it through USB Drive I forgot how I did it because it was a while ago. Another question related to the first post for the outdoor 2pi frequency response for the 15hz, 20hz and 31hz modes (with DSP) - I am not so experience and I don't want to guess - which frequencies represents blue orange and purple? Are they in that order?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Will using wall plates like this be ok for subs? All my surrounds use these. I was planning to run a single run of wire from the amp to the sub, but the wire I ordered is stiff as heck. I have some nice soft rubber flexible cables already made up. I could swap the speakON from one end for banana plugs. Is this ok for subs?

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
We are so proud of you :) I used to have four in my garage but I sold two because my garage is only 200 sq ft.
Yeah I have no idea if I can squeeze in two duels with my current 15s into my living room. 😂 It's going to be cozy for sure. My duels will be firing down because I have cats that like subs :mad:, and these will look like furniture so you won't know they are subs.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Will using wall plates like this be ok for subs? All my surrounds use these. I was planning to run a single run of wire from the amp to the sub, but the wire I ordered is stiff as heck. I have some nice soft rubber flexible cables already made up. I could swap the speakON from one end for banana plugs. Is this ok for subs?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,833
I don't have an NX series amp but I assume looking at the NX Edit software you first connect your amp to your PC then click the connect button in the software then click the load button on the main setup page to load the preset file. I am unsure if it gives you options to save the preset into memory slots like the inukes or if it allows only the one preset to be on the amp at a time.

·
Registered
7.1 - 2x V.B.S.S / 3x 1099s / Klipsch Side&Rears
91 Posts
Anyone can tell how to load presets into NX3000D?
I gotcha. We'll see if screenshots work properly here.

1 Download and install NX Edit s/w.
2 Connect PC to nx amp (using usb, and make sure amp is on.. of course.)
3 Open NX Edit s/w and click connect

4 Select Load, and select the correct preset file, for what tuning you are using (ie 15hz, or 20hz), and Open.

5 Select what preset # (by clicking the bubble/button), and name the Preset Name, to w/e you want (Demo-1 shown here)

6 Once named, click Store.

That's it.
Good luck to ya. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Things I have:
  • 4 sheets of MDF
  • Mini DSP 2x4 HD
  • Umik-1 & REW
  • 16' x 14' x 8' partially open room
  • 7.1.4 system, where the .1 is just a place holder knowing I'd do real subs one day.
  • AT screen with space behind for subs, sandwiched between HT-12 LCR
  • Concrete slab floor
Things I don't have:
  • Amplifier
  • Tons of money
Being a big fan of getting the most value for my money, doing 4x VBSS with the PA460 seems like a great fit. As I already have a Mini DSP, I'd think I could save some $ by not getting an amplifier with DSP capabilities in it. I guess I'm really looking for some advice with regards to laying out the positioning of the subs and the associated amplifier that'd work best. Here are the options that I see:

All Behind The Screen

Just stacking two on top of each other, and putting them between the LCRs. A single NX3000 ($350) would do the amplification trick. My concern in this setup is that while I could EQ the left and right stacks individually, I might not be able to do enough to cancel out room modes. Also with a concrete slab floor and no nearfield, I'd potentially be missing a tactile response. Enter option #2.

Front and Back Subs

In this option, 2 subs are pulled back into the corners of the room. (NOTE: The room is NOT actually open on the back - only on the right hand side.) I figure this configuration gives me a fighting chance to deal with room modes. Also, I might gain some tactile feedback by having two of them closer to the couch. The negatives that I see are that I'd have to finish the cabinets to make them presentable and also, what would I do about amplification? Would I need a 4 channel amp such as the NX4-6000 ($550) or are there better options? Or, could I put the fronts on one channel and the rears on another? They wouldn't be equidistant from the MLP, hence why I was thinking I might need explicit control of each sub and therefore 4 channels.

Any thoughts from the AVS gurus? Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This thread is fantastic. Thinking of building 8 dual versions. 16 capable 18" cones seems fun for a price of around $1,600 for woofage. This website is dangerous!

Came here to find the best budget sub. 6 months later I want 3 Titan 818s and 8 dual VBSS. And possibly Appolla 7 surrounds.

Ugh.

I still have too much to learn! My thanks to all of you. Both those who ask and answer questions. That is how lurkers learn.

Peace! May we all be blessed with good vibrations.

2821 - 2840 of 2858 Posts