AVS Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 2952 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
.......So, I have completed my 8 VBSS build and now in the process integrating them into my system. The goal is to have 4 up front with the LCR (DIYSG Fusion 12s) behind the screen and 4 right behind the couch. So far, I have managed to set up the front stage and reposition the screen. I am also building a platform for the seating area so it's going to be a few days before I could have all 8 pumping at the same time. Of course, I couldn't resist the temptation to fire up the front 4 just to get an idea what they are all about, so I Loaded up the .arp files in the Behringer 3000DSP and ran a quick (Anthem) ARC.

Being pro drivers, I started with some familiar bass-heavy music and was expecting a lot of mid-bass slam but, damn!---the sheer violence that they are capable of took me by surprise. If you are looking for a serious "kick" in the chest, your search ends here!!! For music, I can't imagine it getting any better than this. Threw in a couple of movie scenes (the requisite EOT, The Accountant 50-cal scene and Olympus has fallen), and it does NOT disappoint---even in the 20 hz mode. These things are not just music-first or music-only Subs. They actually pound real hard with movies too. And the quality of bass is particularly tight and articulate with not a trace of overhang. "Effortless" is the word to best describe these VBSSs.

Considering the price of these drivers and the availability of (relatively) cheap power amplifiers, building these VBSSs in multiples represents an incredible price/performance value in Subwoofers. Needless to say, I am already super-impressed with these subs and that is with ONLY:) half the number. I am actually afraid to hook up the other four as my house and its contents may not be able to handle it. But this is the DIY forums on AVS, where you can NEVER have too much bass.:)

Thanks @mtg90, for designing and sharing these affordable, violent, yet well-behaved, monsters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
.......So, I have completed my 8 VBSS build and now in the process integrating them into my system. The goal is to have 4 up front with the LCR (DIYSG Fusion 12s) behind the screen and 4 right behind the couch. So far, I have managed to set up the front stage and reposition the screen. I am also building a platform for the seating area so it's going to be a few days before I could have all 8 pumping at the same time. Of course, I couldn't resist the temptation to fire up the front 4 just to get an idea what they are all about, so I Loaded up the .arp files in the Behringer 3000DSP and ran a quick (Anthem) ARC.

Being pro drivers, I started with some familiar bass-heavy music and was expecting a lot of mid-bass slam but, damn!---the sheer violence that they are capable of took me by surprise. If you are looking for a serious "kick" in the chest, your search ends here!!! For music, I can't imagine it getting any better than this. Threw in a couple of movie scenes (the requisite EOT, The Accountant 50-cal scene and Olympus has fallen), and it does NOT disappoint---even in the 20 hz mode. These things are not just music-first or music-only Subs. They actually pound real hard with movies too. And the quality of bass is particularly tight and articulate with not a trace of overhang. "Effortless" is the word to best describe these VBSSs.

Considering the price of these drivers and the availability of (relatively) cheap power amplifiers, building these VBSSs in multiples represents an incredible price/performance value in Subwoofers. Needless to say, I am already super-impressed with these subs and that is with ONLY:) half the number. I am actually afraid to hook up the other four as my house and its contents may not be able to handle it. But this is the DIY forums on AVS, where you can NEVER have too much bass.:)

Thanks @mtg90, for designing and sharing these affordable, violent, yet well-behaved, monsters.

What size room do you have? I'm trying to figure out how 8 would sound in a massive room. 14,000 cubic feet because the whole house is open. Living room, dining room and kitchen are a long rectangle all of it open to the stairs and family room. Darn family room is 20x20 with 18 foot ceilings that is open to a large up stairs loft. Add in hallways and a mud room and I may need lots of Wuhan woofage to get things energized.

Your experience gives me hope!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
@IdahoiGuess you have a real theater ha ha! I think they typically use 16 or 24 subs? I am sure 8 would be awesome at your place.

p.s. my Sis and cousins are all in Meridian an my buddy Marc just moved to Middleton. Where you you?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
What size room do you have? I'm trying to figure out how 8 would sound in a massive room. 14,000 cubic feet because the whole house is open. Living room, dining room and kitchen are a long rectangle all of it open to the stairs and family room. Darn family room is 20x20 with 18 foot ceilings that is open to a large up stairs loft. Add in hallways and a mud room and I may need lots of Wuhan woofage to get things energized.

Your experience gives me hope!
In such a large room, especially with an open concept floor plan, you will likely need all 8, and prolly even more. My room is only about 3500 cu ft. To pressurize such a large space, you will need to strategically place multiple subs around the room. Perhaps you can post a floor plan with your listening area and the experts around here might be able to help you with optimizing things.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
@IdahoiGuess you have a real theater ha ha! I think they typically use 16 or 24 subs? I am sure 8 would be awesome at your place.

p.s. my Sis and cousins are all in Meridian an my buddy Marc just moved to Middleton. Where you you?

On the border of Meridian! In Kuna! I'm two blocks to the border of Meridian. 8 minutes to 84 or Wahooz, about the same to downtown Kuna. 18 minutes to the airport and back roads to South Boise in less than 20. All with 20 acres of farmland as a backdrop (not mine, as I am in a cbh neighborhood). But the view is great.

So glad we got in. Prices went nuts. My neighborhood went up about 100k in the last 7 months. Crazy.

Dealing with the Camp Fire and finding somewhere else to live was ... Not fun. But all the pain was worth it. So glad to be out of California. In a fun twist, my house in Paradise I bought because of the acreage and I could have endless woofage.

Now I have neighbors. Yikes. How loud are 16 vbss if their house is 50 feet away? Heh

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
On the border of Meridian! In Kuna! I'm two blocks to the border of Meridian. 8 minutes to 84 or Wahooz, about the same to downtown Kuna. 18 minutes to the airport and back roads to South Boise in less than 20. All with 20 acres of farmland as a backdrop (not mine, as I am in a cbh neighborhood). But the view is great.

So glad we got in. Prices went nuts. My neighborhood went up about 100k in the last 7 months. Crazy.

Dealing with the Camp Fire and finding somewhere

Dealing with the Camp Fire and finding somewhere else to live was ... Not fun. But all the pain was worth it. So glad to be out of California. In a fun twist, my house in Paradise I bought because of the acreage and I could have endless woofage.

Now I have neighbors. Yikes. How loud are 16 vbss if their house is 50 feet away? Heh
Sounds like you have an amazing property. With 16 VBSS, I don't think yours, or you neighbor's will be safe. They get pretty loud and are even capable of outdoor use ---with the 31 hz settings engaged of course.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like you have an amazing property. With 16 VBSS, I don't think yours, or you neighbor's will be safe. They get pretty loud and are even capable of outdoor use ---with the 31 hz settings engaged of course.
I shall build an army. Thank you AVS. You have occupied my mind throughout difficult times. The Devestator thread and VBBS thread are particularly enjoyable. So many kind and generous people. It is inspirational! What a community.

Enjoy life my friends. You never know what may happen! Sorry to get this off topic, but I'm so thankful for all the information shared. I'm so happy to have DIY options.

·
Registered
7.1 - 2x V.B.S.S / 3x 1099s / Klipsch Side&Rears
101 Posts
Of course, I couldn't resist the temptation to fire up the front 4 just to get an idea what they are all about, so I Loaded up the .arp files in the Behringer 3000DSP and ran a quick (Anthem) ARC.
lol geez.. I've just built 2, and am afraid for my house. I can only imagine what another 6 would be like.
Please share your experience when setup. :D

edit
Wait.. you loaded the .arp files? aren't those the iNuke files..?
You want to download the .nxp settings, the "VBSS NX DSP Settings".

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
^^^^ I would love to hear 8 in my room but 4 will have to do, lol. I almost want to move 2 up front and 2 in the back but 4 up front is crazy and I don't want to shuffle things again ;_;

So I want to tune now and will be buying the UMIK-1 is there anything magical I must do as I have heard about some being calibrated before hand??

$123 Canadian
I am not sure if the one from Solen is individually calibrated. For that you have to order from Cross Spectrum Cross·Spectrum - Calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphones for Sale

You can still download the free calibrated batch file if you get the one from solen but I don't think it will be as accurate as the one individually calibrated by cross spectrum. If it's not a real PIA, you should experiment with two up front and two in back as it is likely to produce a smoother response. Even though my room is already overpowered by just the four up front, I know I will get better response when I add the back ones. Right now I have a bit of a "dip" at around 50hz and from previous experience in my room, adding subs at the back completely levels out that dip.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am not sure if the one from Solen is individually calibrated. For that you have to order from Cross Spectrum Cross·Spectrum - Calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphones for Sale

You can still download the free calibrated batch file if you get the one from solen but I don't think it will be as accurate as the one individually calibrated by cross spectrum. If it's not a real PIA, you should experiment with two up front and two in back as it is likely to produce a smoother response. Even though my room is already overpowered by just the four up front, I know I will get better response when I add the back ones. Right now I have a bit of a "dip" at around 50hz and from previous experience in my room, adding subs at the back completely levels out that dip.
I might just order from Solen as $110usd plus $35USd shipping and then, easily, $40 customs is damn near $230 Canadian....$123 CAD is looking much sweeter, lol.

It would be a bit of a pain as I would have to solder my wires again and shuffle furniture around and I am not sure how it would work with my room

Crude layout here but my couch is roughly 11feet away from the TV and I have 3 feet behind my couch until the mantle and all my kids lego stuff is there....I think I am stuck with four up front.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
@mixma. Member Notnyt posted this graph of the Umik showing the difference between the Cross Spectrum Cal file and the miniDsp cal file. All of the differences occur below 20 hz and are pretty much equal down to 15hz (right at the lowest VBSS tuning). The Umik from Solen should be get the job done nicely.

Cross Spectrum vs MiniDSP umik cal file.png

·
Registered
143 Posts
@mixma. Member Notnyt posted this graph of the Umik showing the difference between the Cross Spectrum Cal file and the miniDsp cal file. All of the differences occur below 20 hz and are pretty much equal down to 15hz (right at the lowest VBSS tuning). The Umik from Solen should be get the job done nicely.
Awesome, thank you! I'm tuned to 20hz, curious on how 31hz would be like but not going to take anything apart to find out.

I'll order the mic!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would this be a good option for a 2800 cubic feet room (with openings)? Also, if someone could explain to a newbie how this would differ between a smaller DIY sub (Dayton Ultimax 12) that uses higher quality drivers?

2841 - 2860 of 2952 Posts