AVS Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 3087 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi mixma, how are you? Again your are helping me, thank you
I wish o could keep the port and driver on the same side, but the tube need to be curved, and I couldn't find a complete port tube 17" like that.
Is that possible to hookup only one PA460 to the NX3000D? The driver is 8ohms and the amplifier is 4ohms :(
I believe that two VBSS would be the overkill... :)
Hey, doing good thanks!
I had tons of help when I built mine so I try to help when/where I can!

mtg90 answered as you can totally hook just the one up but more and more people swear that 2 subs are the minimum now. Still, you can build one and then another down the road as you will want another to help even out the coverage!

I built 4 and am already thinking I might try to tackle adding 2 more by myself behind my couch for the nearfield couch quake!
Like a hidden table/movie shelf kind of like what @kalakasan mocked up but with shelves on the side for games...etc I will have to run it by the wife later this year...lol
Trying to get my hands on speakers to build with my step dad while he is still in good, able, spirits!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Is that possible to hookup only one PA460 to the NX3000D? The driver is 8ohms and the amplifier is 4ohms
Doesn't work that way. Ohms refers to a load or resistance, only the driver(s) provide said resistance. As Matt alluded to the NX3k can drive anywhere from a 2 - 8 ohm load (not sure about higher, but not lower) without issue. The higher the resistance, the less power it can provide to the driver(s) connected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey, doing good thanks!
I had tons of help when I built mine so I try to help when/where I can!

mtg90 answered as you can totally hook just the one up but more and more people swear that 2 subs are the minimum now. Still, you can build one and then another down the road as you will want another to help even out the coverage!

I built 4 and am already thinking I might try to tackle adding 2 more by myself behind my couch for the nearfield couch quake!
Like a hidden table/movie shelf kind of like what @kalakasan mocked up but with shelves on the side for games...etc I will have to run it by the wife later this year...lol
Trying to get my hands on speakers to build with my step dad while he is still in good, able, spirits!
My friend If I were you, I would first run a test before building two more subwoofer.

Place two of yours currently subwoofers behind your couch 1 foot way, and then you tell me how was the experience....at least to me was the perfect distance to feel the movie, that was incredible.

I couldn't believe how nice it was, I watched John Wick and Ready Player One....wow... :)

Thank you all guys, glade to know that I can hook up only one pa460.

I live in a townhouse and I don't want to bother my neighbors, that's why I am cautiously but I don't want to lose a nice movie experience :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't want to move the front 4, they are stuck for life, lol. I got bruises on my legs from moving them as I had no one help get them in!

What would the dimensions and slot port look like for rectangle (slim and tall - 20hz) dual box like this?

I want to try to mock something up with cardboard to see if it can pass the wife approval test.... If it fails maybe I will see if I can just do a single VBSS back there and have the box lay sideways.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't want to move the front 4, they are stuck for life, lol. I got bruises on my legs from moving them as I had no one help get them in!

What would the dimensions and slot port look like for rectangle (slim and tall - 20hz) dual box like this?

I want to try to mock something up with cardboard to see if it can pass the wife approval test.... If it fails maybe I will see if I can just do a single VBSS back there and have the box lay sideways.
I don't know how much room you have, but i believe placing one subwoofer behind the couch seems to fill very well your needs.

I liked your idea, the slim box is the way to go and this is exactly what I am going to do here.

Next year I will move to my house, now because of what you said I wonder if it will be hard to take the whole thing myself.

The store called me and it will take one month to receive the amplifier So I could give up on the purchase now and wait until I move.

I believe you have watched Iron man 1, when he's leaving the cave, have you ever heard some porte noise on that moment? Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doesn't work that way. Ohms refers to a load or resistance, only the driver(s) provide said resistance. As Matt alluded to the NX3k can drive anywhere from a 2 - 8 ohm load (not sure about higher, but not lower) without issue. The higher the resistance, the less power it can provide to the driver(s) connected.
Much appreciated.

The Nx3000d specs says 2ohms to 4ohms :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Much appreciated.

The Nx3000d specs says 2ohms to 4ohms :(
I have the Nx3000D and 8ohms is no issue.
Ihttps://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1427356-REG/behringer_nx3000d_3000_watt_class_d_power_amplifier.html/specs

I have not watched Iron man on the new system but I've yet to hear port noise, I went with the tube ports to help stop port noise as I believe slot port 'can' have more.

Yeah I want to see what the dimensions look like for a dual slot port box, I am wondering if I should do 20hz or 15hz as this will be nearfield so I want the thump/couch shake!

With this design could you just move the port in between the two subs?
Would act, somewhat, as bracing but I am just thinking if it was firing into my couch I would want it near the middle of the couch rather than a far side - does this wreck anything?

Would this work?
Swap the subs to go on the 28" side as the height matches my couch
Port would be in the middle of the subs so that it hits in the middle of the couch, 1.75" wifde
Ports would go in 18.25" (keep 1.75" away from back of box) then branch out left and right 2.875" (3"ish) so that the entire port length is 24"

Couch.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Nx3000D and 8ohms is no issue.
Ihttps://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1427356-REG/behringer_nx3000d_3000_watt_class_d_power_amplifier.html/specs

I have not watched Iron man on the new system but I've yet to hear port noise, I went with the tube ports to help stop port noise as I believe slot port 'can' have more.

Yeah I want to see what the dimensions look like for a dual slot port box, I am wondering if I should do 20hz or 15hz as this will be nearfield so I want the thump/couch shake!

With this design could you just move the port in between the two subs?
Would act, somewhat, as bracing but I am just thinking if it was firing into my couch I would want it near the middle of the couch rather than a far side - does this wreck anything?

I am using a armchair, and the klipsch cannot be placed too close because it's uncomfortable, it shakes way too much.

That's interesting, placing the subwoofer front of me do not give me the same experience, not even close to what I feel when placed behind the armchair.

Even using a Klipsch 12" and 200w rms, I don't miss bass anymore, the only thing I am missing is quality, that's why I said to try placing one or two of yours subwoofers just for the test.

I would go 20hz.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Building 2 slot port VBSS now.. one is done enough to test (still gonna veneer 4 sides next week) and I’m super anxious. The second js a couple days away from being tested (last glue up today and still need to router and sand the box).

Came on here to ask if it was ok to hook up just one to my NX1000 but looks like someone already asked! I’ll give this one a go today and see how it sounds. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
You just dont realize how big these things are until you build them.. lol! Wife was not impressed when she saw the size of one. She then realized I was building 2! Ooof!
Two of those in your living room?!? Are you going to put cushions on them so they double as seats?

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
...Would this work?
Port would be in the middle of the subs so that it hits in the middle of the couch, 1.75" wifde
Ports would go in 18.25" (keep 1.75" away from back of box) then branch out left and right 2.875" (3"ish) so that the entire port length is 24"

View attachment 3077303
One effect of splitting the port into two directions is that it would effectively double the port area for the 2.875 dimension, which would raise the port tune. How much? I don't know.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One effect of splitting the port into two directions is that it would effectively double the port area for the 2.875 dimension, which would raise the port tune. How much? I don't know.
Well darn,
I thought the branch was being smart as the 18" would split left 3" and right 3" (24") but I have no idea how this works, lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Planning to build 2 VBSS and run off an NX3000D. Due to room constraints, they will be located next to the front L and R mains (Fusion 8 for now). A couple of questions:

My AVR has two sub outs (Yamaha RX-V679). Do I get any benefit from running two separate cables from the AVR to the amp? I'm planning to use RCA to TS cables.

Also, does anyone have experience with this AVR and whether it will send sufficient signal to the amplifier? Just trying to see if I need something like a Cleanbox Pro.

Thanks to all who have contributed, and I will try to post some build pics.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi. Please, can I make a box using two complete port tube (17inch each) on one side?

My idea is to use as a nearfield, behind the couch, the box will be slim (1ft) and I won't be able to fit those ports on the same side where the driver will be.
-----------
Did someone have a port noise (chuffing) when playing Iron Man 1? (when he is leaving the cave)

This is really important to me, I am upgrading because of this kind of issue.

Thank you very much guys

·
Registered
7 Posts
You just dont realize how big these things are until you build them.. lol! Wife was not impressed when she saw the size of one. She then realized I was building 2! Ooof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know what you mean. I just now finished building my first one and brought it in the house to test it out with the opening scene of Edge of Tomorrow and my wife is already threatening to divorce me. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is there a program I can grab or box builder on there that could help me with my sketchy dual VBSS idea for behind the couch?

Would this work?

View attachment 3077303

This design is the one mtg90 made here but I would move the subs over to the side with a slot port in the middle....just trying to make the box as tall and skinny as I can!!

30" tall and 18" deep would be even better but I am in over my head with what can and can't be done with the slot port.

3041 - 3060 of 3087 Posts