AVS Forum banner

3281 - 3300 of 3352 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Never used the speak on connectors before. Do I just plug RCA cables into them?
No, SpeakOn != RCA, they are for high level connections. What amp are you using?

This is what I use:

AVR -> amp: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR-Male-RCA-Cable/dp/B001VLW398 (assuming your AVR/Pre-pro sub output is RCA and amp input is XLR)

Amp -> subwoofer box: https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NL4FC-4-Pole-speakON-Connector/dp/B005EKMGO4 (with 12Ga speaker wire in between). Also available in right-angle.

On sub box: https://www.amazon.com/NL4MPR-Neutr...N/dp/B00OVAX8KE/ref=psdc_172544_t1_B00067JSFK

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm hoping mtg90 might be able to answer this:

If I'm going to place a metal grate over the top of the PA-460, how much clearance in millimeters would be needed to avoid the speaker surround coming into contact with the grate, given the spec'd xmax? Is it likely (or have you actually seen this in testing) for the cone to move beyond the outer speaker ring during audio playback? I had planned to use a gasket under the grate to create a an 8mm clearance from the speaker surround, but I'm not sure that's enough to avoid the surround hitting the grate. 8mm is my limit if I want to keep clearance between the grill fabric and grate.

If necessary, I could lower the speaker by routing out an 1/8 of an inch from the baffle. Not something I want to do, but will do if I have to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Got my build started! Building 2 of the slim. Got all my parts pre cut from the local lumber yard that has a wood shop. Pieces came out perfect and they only charged $70. Basically like buying a flat pack, made it a lot easier. Still a little confused on a few things but getting there. Right now I am waiting for the drivers to come back in stock as they are back ordered, so that is going to hold me up who knows how long. I have the speak on connectors and speaker wire coming this week. Need to figure out stuffing. What’s the best option for that?

Also i think the way I am going to have these in the room, the port will be visible. How do you guys paint that? Jut spray some black paint in there? Such a small narrow space can’t picture any other way.

Also do I have enough bracing? Only 2 braces coming to the front side due to the woofer, but i assume thats normal?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got my build started! Building 2 of the slim. Got all my parts pre cut from the local lumber yard that has a wood shop. Pieces came out perfect and they only charged $70. Basically like buying a flat pack, made it a lot easier. Still a little confused on a few things but getting there. Right now I am waiting for the drivers to come back in stock as they are back ordered, so that is going to hold me up who knows how long. I have the speak on connectors and speaker wire coming this week. Need to figure out stuffing. What’s the best option for that?

Also i think the way I am going to have these in the room, the port will be visible. How do you guys paint that? Jut spray some black paint in there? Such a small narrow space can’t picture any other way.

Also do I have enough bracing? Only 2 braces coming to the front side due to the woofer, but i assume thats normal?
Your bracing looks good, no worries. I built 4 and followed the bracing (looks like yours) no issues.

I painted the back of the ports black but I used the aero ports, you have a little more interesting paint job on your hand and spray-paint looks like your only option.

Speak on connectors are just positive to +1 and negative to -1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably not going to help you with this one....I think I saw someone else paint their port black, but they did it BEFORE they actually glued the port boards in place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had almost done my VBSS box , does the port tube have specification length ?
i not yet order the mini dsp 2x4hd yet , could i just play this monster without the DSP ?

Using Behringer NX3000 to drive 2 PA460 , what are the speakon connection i need to get on ?
connection from my AVR single channel out to Behringer amp ?

thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
i had almost done my VBSS box , does the port tube have specification length ?
i not yet order the mini dsp 2x4hd yet , could i just play this monster without the DSP ?

Using Behringer NX3000 to drive 2 PA460 , what are the speakon connection i need to get on ?
connection from my AVR single channel out to Behringer amp ?

thanks for your help
Port is two of these 4" kits at full length (use all pieces per kit) and the port sits 2" away from the back of the box.

I would not use the VBSS without DSP as I do not think you will get the results you want, nor the protection.

smcmillan2 posted this like 5 replies back

AVR -> amp:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR-Male-RCA-Cable/dp/B001VLW398 (assuming your AVR/Pre-pro sub output is RCA and amp input is XLR)

Amp -> subwoofer box:
https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NL4FC-4-Pole-speakON-Connector/dp/B005EKMGO4 (with 12Ga speaker wire in between). Also available in right-angle.

On sub box:
https://www.amazon.com/NL4MPR-Neutr...N/dp/B00OVAX8KE/ref=psdc_172544_t1_B00067JSFK

·
Registered
16 Posts
Parts express is killing me. I ordered PA460 drivers on February 8th. Since then they have pushed back the estimated re-stock date 4-5 times. Yesterday they pushed it back again to April 15th. At this point I’m just hoping to have them by the end of the summer.

I already built 4 VBSS boxes in anticipation of receiving the PA460s, so I’m locked in. If anyone knows of any other way to get PA460s let me know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Parts express is killing me. I ordered PA460 drivers on February 8th. Since then they have pushed back the estimated re-stock date 4-5 times. Yesterday they pushed it back again to April 15th. At this point I’m just hoping to have them by the end of the summer.

I already built 4 VBSS boxes in anticipation of receiving the PA460s, so I’m locked in. If anyone knows of any other way to get PA460s let me know.
Same here. I am tempted to go with another driver at this point, but I don't know what else would work at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Same here. I am tempted to go with another driver at this point, but I don't know what else would work at a reasonable price.
That makes 3 of us. I was just about to come here to see if anyone was hording any drivers and was willing to let 2 go 😜. I have my theater ripped apart and want to get these things wrapped up. I am afraid to cut the hole for the speaker without having the speaker on hand. 😢

and if anyone has a couple spare drivers lying around and wants to help out, PM me. 👍

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Port is two of these 4" kits at full length (use all pieces per kit) and the port sits 2" away from the back of the box.

I would not use the VBSS without DSP as I do not think you will get the results you want, nor the protection.

smcmillan2 posted this like 5 replies back

AVR -> amp:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR-Male-RCA-Cable/dp/B001VLW398 (assuming your AVR/Pre-pro sub output is RCA and amp input is XLR)

Amp -> subwoofer box:
https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NL4FC-4-Pole-speakON-Connector/dp/B005EKMGO4 (with 12Ga speaker wire in between). Also available in right-angle.

On sub box:
https://www.amazon.com/NL4MPR-Neutr...N/dp/B00OVAX8KE/ref=psdc_172544_t1_B00067JSFK
So for some reason this is still really confusing me. My AVR has an RCA connector for the sub out. It looks like the Behringer NX3000DSP only accepts a speak on connector? So how does the RCA to XLR fit? Is there an XLR to Speakon adapter? Or does the NX3000DSP accept XLR and for some reason I just am not seeing it on the photo?

So wouldn’t a standard RCA cable from AVR then this to the amp work?

For the NX3000DSP to Sub, cant just just buy like thi?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
So for some reason this is still really confusing me. My AVR has an RCA connector for the sub out. It looks like the Behringer NX3000DSP only accepts a speak on connector? So how does the RCA to XLR fit? Is there an XLR to Speakon adapter? Or does the NX3000DSP accept XLR and for some reason I just am not seeing it on the photo?
XLR/TRS inputs (right of fan). SpeakOn outputs (left of fan).

·
Registered
220 Posts

So wouldn’t a standard RCA cable from AVR then this to the amp work?

For the NX3000DSP to Sub, cant just just buy like thi?
smcmillan2 posted a photo for you as you need RCA (Receiver) to XLR (NX amp)

You can totally grab those cables to run from the NX amp to your subs, I just found making them to be easier especially since I spliced mine and soldered together just outside the subs since I am running 4 VBSS.

Reviews also say the wire is not 12awg and maybe 14 to 16awg so if you need 100ft runs you might be better making your own (if they are 16awg)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! I just built two of these subs! Thank you very much for the detailed first post on everything. They work great, but!

Im using a denon AVR with a RCA subwoofer out connection,with an adapter to the XLR input on the NX3000D. The cable is pretty long, maybe 10 meters. (33 feet.)
When i turn the front knob up, past midway I get a humming sound from my subs. Any way to fix this? Would the wireless sub signal box from SVS help?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello! I just built two of these subs! Thank you very much for the detailed first post on everything. They work great, but!

Im using a denon AVR with a RCA subwoofer out connection,with an adapter to the XLR input on the NX3000D. The cable is pretty long, maybe 10 meters. (33 feet.)
When i turn the front knob up, past midway I get a humming sound from my subs. Any way to fix this? Would the wireless sub signal box from SVS help?
Could be a ground loop issue.
Connect a wire (speaker wire..etc) from the AVR chassis like a screw directly to the chassis of the NX3000D and see if this helps!

·
Registered
299 Posts

I called PE today and asked about my order, and the rep said the delay was due to a dock strike in California. When I asked about the chances of getting my order filled (2 - PA-460’s) he said my chances were probably good because they’re expecting 600 units to arrive.

You might call PE yourself and see if you get the same answer. Let’s hope my info is accurate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could be a ground loop issue.
Connect a wire (speaker wire..etc) from the AVR chassis like a screw directly to the chassis of the NX3000D and see if this helps!
Thanks, but this only helped a little bit. Do you or someone else know if the wireless transmitter from svs would help?

I have now ordered a better shielded signal cable from my avr to my 3000d and i will try a different routing for it, away from power cables.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the guys waiting for PE to receive their shipment, I too was in the same boat and basically explored the ENTIRE interwebs looking for these things. I ended up buying the last 2 from GSG audio and recieved th last week. I was pretty happy about that. However, I also found a website that claimed they had them in stock for $65 a piece and when I went to check out they gave me a multiple order discount and the total was $99 for 2 shipped.

I knew it was too good to be true but for $99 I took the risk because I desperately wanted these things. Turns out, the website was from China and they ship from China. It's been 2 weeks and they're still in China but the label has been created for USPS for when they arrive here in the states. I already got the 2 from GSG but I see no way to cancel this order and for $99 I probably wouldn't cancel anyway.

I will update when/if I recieve them and if PE is still back ordered I would sell them to someone here who is in need of 2 because I know how bad it sucks to wait. If they do indeed arrive, it would give a whole new meaning to the "value buster" part of the VBSS. We shall see.

If anyone is interested in checking out the website I will try to figure out what it was called. I don't remember off the top of my head as I'm watching the shipment through the Shop app on my phone. I'll update this post if I come up with the name of the website.

Edit: here is the link, try at your own risk as it may very well just be a scam. I was sure it was a scam at first until I saw that they were shipping from China, now I kind of believe that they ARE indeed shipping them, just from China so who knows how long it will take. Again, I will update if I do actually get them.

Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer

3281 - 3300 of 3352 Posts