AVS Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 3352 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the guys waiting for PE to receive their shipment, I too was in the same boat and basically explored the ENTIRE interwebs looking for these things. I ended up buying the last 2 from GSG audio and recieved th last week. I was pretty happy about that. However, I also found a website that claimed they had them in stock for $65 a piece and when I went to check out they gave me a multiple order discount and the total was $99 for 2 shipped.

I knew it was too good to be true but for $99 I took the risk because I desperately wanted these things. Turns out, the website was from China and they ship from China. It's been 2 weeks and they're still in China but the label has been created for USPS for when they arrive here in the states. I already got the 2 from GSG but I see no way to cancel this order and for $99 I probably wouldn't cancel anyway.

I will update when/if I recieve them and if PE is still back ordered I would sell them to someone here who is in need of 2 because I know how bad it sucks to wait. If they do indeed arrive, it would give a whole new meaning to the "value buster" part of the VBSS. We shall see.

If anyone is interested in checking out the website I will try to figure out what it was called. I don't remember off the top of my head as I'm watching the shipment through the Shop app on my phone. I'll update this post if I come up with the name of the website.

Edit: here is the link, try at your own risk as it may very well just be a scam. I was sure it was a scam at first until I saw that they were shipping from China, now I kind of believe that they ARE indeed shipping them, just from China so who knows how long it will take. Again, I will update if I do actually get them.

Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer
As a Chinese , do let me find out is this genuine website , if they are genuine , usually they will have online shop at taobao, does the goods ship out by sea freight ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks, but this only helped a little bit. Do you or someone else know if the wireless transmitter from svs would help?

I have now ordered a better shielded signal cable from my avr to my 3000d and i will try a different routing for it, away from power cables.
If you unplug the RCA from the receiver does it go away?
If so I have also read that people have filed down the XLR connection inputs that you plug into the NX3000D and it just helped a bit with the issue.

Make sure your cable is not looped around like if you need 25ft and have a 100ft cable just bundled laying around that isn't good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As a Chinese , do let me find out is this genuine website , if they are genuine , usually they will have online shop at taobao, does the goods ship out by sea freight ?
I have no idea but I believe some insight would be helpful to the community. If they are genuine, and do ship in a timely manner, most people that aren't in a hurry could order these before starting the build and it may work out perfectly. Seriously, less than a hundred bucks for 2 with free shipping sounds too good to be true but if it's for real, some people would benefit from being patient.

The ony thing I know about them is their website is Kvuyom.com and they have free shipping over $40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you unplug the RCA from the receiver does it go away?
If so I have also read that people have filed down the XLR connection inputs that you plug into the NX3000D and it just helped a bit with the issue.

Make sure your cable is not looped around like if you need 25ft and have a 100ft cable just bundled laying around that isn't good.
Yes, it goes away if i unplug. By turning the input knob down on the 3000d and setting subwoofer to -5db on avr i got good results. Whats the difference between tuning the subs with the knob and with the avr settings?

·
Registered
21 Posts
MTG90, thank you for your contributions to the community. My son and I are enjoying our two VBSS very much. Fun build and even more fun to hear. Not 100% complete yet, faux leather fronts are done, still need walnut veneer and feet. I will post beauty shots when done.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have no idea but I believe some insight would be helpful to the community. If they are genuine, and do ship in a timely manner, most people that aren't in a hurry could order these before starting the build and it may work out perfectly. Seriously, less than a hundred bucks for 2 with free shipping sounds too good to be true but if it's for real, some people would benefit from being patient.

The ony thing I know about them is their website is Kvuyom.com and they have free shipping over $40.
Googling the website is, unfortunately, not reassuring.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What’s the best way to paint these things? I want just a boat black as it’s going to sit under my projector screen so want to minimize any reflections. I would prefer to roll if possible.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What’s the best way to paint these things? I want just a boat black as it’s going to sit under my projector screen so want to minimize any reflections. I would prefer to roll if possible.
Painting with a roller will work just fine. A few pages back I have pictures and paint that I used. I rolled mine as well. If you read through this thread you'll find answers to most questions.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
PE has another 18" pro driver for slightly more $, it also gets down close to 20hz.

·
Registered
13 Posts
PE has another 18" pro driver for slightly more $, it also gets down close to 20hz.
I think you mean the PN470, which took an even bigger price bump than the PA460. It's approx 60% more per driver. While I think it's good value compared to the LaVoce and BC alternatives, it's not nearly as good value as the PA460.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I think you mean the PN470, which took an even bigger price bump than the PA460. It's approx 60% more per driver. While I think it's good value compared to the LaVoce and BC alternatives, it's not nearly as good value as the PA460.
I was looking at the Dayton Audio DCS450-4 which requires more internal volume at 13ft^3, a little less program wattage and plays a bit lower. Its 130 bucks and its actually in stock. Perhaps not ideal for the VBSS since the original cabinet size its pretty compact, but its an option you can buy today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was looking at the Dayton Audio DCS450-4 which requires more internal volume at 13ft^3, a little less program wattage and plays a bit lower. Its 130 bucks and its actually in stock. Perhaps not ideal for the VBSS since the original cabinet size its pretty compact, but its an option you can buy today.
I see, it's an interesting option if building single driver boxes. Overall, I think the size of the cabinet might be the biggest issue when looking at this for an alternative driver because I'm afraid the alignment might cause some ringing. If you really can't wait, I'd look at the Celestion buyout driver. Same price as the PA460 but 4 ohm and cast frame.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I see, it's an interesting option if building single driver boxes. Overall, I think the size of the cabinet might be the biggest issue when looking at this for an alternative driver because I'm afraid the alignment might cause some ringing. If you really can't wait, I'd look at the Celestion buyout driver. Same price as the PA460 but 4 ohm and cast frame.

That celestion driver's rated frequency response does not seem to go nearly low enough, or as low as the dayton though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That celestion driver's rated frequency response does not seem to go nearly low enough, or as low as the dayton though.
I found it simmed comparably to the PA460 (edit) after applying requisite EQ and setting power according to what I have available. You have to use EQ/DSP with all of the high BL pro-audio drivers. The higher power handling means it can live in the smaller box and take the extra power needed.

Here's winisd maxspl for these drivers, 2 woofers in a 14cuft ported to 22hz:

PA460 in green
PN470 in red
DCS450 in blue
Celestion buyout in orange

It might come down to your desire for bass below 27hz and above 50hz. In my case, I think I'm going to wait for the PA460, unless I splurge for the PN470.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the guys waiting for PE to receive their shipment, I too was in the same boat and basically explored the ENTIRE interwebs looking for these things. I ended up buying the last 2 from GSG audio and recieved th last week. I was pretty happy about that. However, I also found a website that claimed they had them in stock for $65 a piece and when I went to check out they gave me a multiple order discount and the total was $99 for 2 shipped.

I knew it was too good to be true but for $99 I took the risk because I desperately wanted these things. Turns out, the website was from China and they ship from China. It's been 2 weeks and they're still in China but the label has been created for USPS for when they arrive here in the states. I already got the 2 from GSG but I see no way to cancel this order and for $99 I probably wouldn't cancel anyway.

I will update when/if I recieve them and if PE is still back ordered I would sell them to someone here who is in need of 2 because I know how bad it sucks to wait. If they do indeed arrive, it would give a whole new meaning to the "value buster" part of the VBSS. We shall see.

If anyone is interested in checking out the website I will try to figure out what it was called. I don't remember off the top of my head as I'm watching the shipment through the Shop app on my phone. I'll update this post if I come up with the name of the website.

Edit: here is the link, try at your own risk as it may very well just be a scam. I was sure it was a scam at first until I saw that they were shipping from China, now I kind of believe that they ARE indeed shipping them, just from China so who knows how long it will take. Again, I will update if I do actually get them.

Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer
I checked out the site. I’ll be interested to see if you get them. The site definitely looks sketchy lol.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If I wanted to use a mini dsp instead of a behrigner amp, what settings are transferable more or less from the dsp file to the mini dsp?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm doing my best to patiently wait for 2 dual VBSSs that my brother is building. I can't imagine what these things will do to my house. Friday night I was jamming my system hard and I only have 2 15s each on an Adcom GFA-555. (see my sig) I love Dark Side of the Moon and those who know it, know the heartbeats at the beginning. Well the drywall was rattling hard. So yeah let's add more subs and more power. To start they will be on a single GFA-555. If they seem to want more power I'll hunt another down. Everyone needs 3,500 watts for subs right? Did I say I'm doing my best to wait patiently? I lied, I want them now. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I wanted to use a mini dsp instead of a behrigner amp, what settings are transferable more or less from the dsp file to the mini dsp?
If you're set on optimizing the box/power (minus the voltage limiter), I'd do what Matt recommends in this post:

The NX settings are simplest to implement since they've already done away with the DEQ settings. The only "tricky" bit is the LS12 filter, since minidsp has no such thing. I would probably choose a q of 0.6 or 0.7.

3301 - 3320 of 3352 Posts