AVS Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 3352 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have 2 pa 460s (one never opened still in box, second installed in a cab but only used for under 5 hours. Let me know if anyone need them, I'm in DFW Area.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have 2 VBSS subs powered by a single NX1000d. I currently have them both in the front of my room. Bass is quite “boomy” but still shakes the house. I want to move 1 of them to the back corner of the room so the 2 are at opposite corners to see if this helps. Room is a rectangle 13’wide x 23 ft long with 7ft ceiling.

I currently have them wired together in bridge mode (so aprox 300 watts for each sub). Problem with that I cant independently control the phase. I can wire them up separately so I can set phase independently but might reduce the wattage (I think).

I dont have enough speaker wire to move them and try both options (bridged or wired separately A and B). And would rather not buy the wire just to experiment.

Will I lose much output by wiring them to the amp separately? I think wiring together in bridge mode puts out the most amperage per speaker.

Will adding the ability to adjust the phase independently outweigh the loss in power if I wire independently?

EDIT:
Just checking the specs from my amp.. The way I see it is, if I keaveit in bridge mode I get a total of 620watts output (to 2 subs). If I choose stereo it drops to 160w each but adds the ability to independently adjust the phase. I’m thinking thats not a good trade off.. I hat to lose the power by that much.. am I crazy?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Have you measured the room with rew? A measurement would tell us more than the use of the term "boomy".

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have you measured the room with rew? A measurement would tell us more than the use of the term "boomy".
Unfortunately not.. I dont have the stuff for that. Just going off of how it sounds and what I’ve read about placement. Seems like 2 subs up front isnt the best scenario usually and opposing corners are better so I figured I’s try that. I’m on a tight budget (reason for doing VBSS) so another $100 for a UMIK was down on my list. Maybe I should just get one and figure it pit..lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Maybe I should just get one and figure it pit..lol!
IMHO, it is very important that you do.

Reactions: doozer12

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have 2 VBSS subs powered by a single NX1000d. I currently have them both in the front of my room. Bass is quite “boomy” but still shakes the house. I want to move 1 of them to the back corner of the room so the 2 are at opposite corners to see if this helps. Room is a rectangle 13’wide x 23 ft long with 7ft ceiling.

I currently have them wired together in bridge mode (so aprox 300 watts for each sub). Problem with that I cant independently control the phase. I can wire them up separately so I can set phase independently but might reduce the wattage (I think).

I dont have enough speaker wire to move them and try both options (bridged or wired separately A and B). And would rather not buy the wire just to experiment.

Will I lose much output by wiring them to the amp separately? I think wiring together in bridge mode puts out the most amperage per speaker.

Will adding the ability to adjust the phase independently outweigh the loss in power if I wire independently?

EDIT:
Just checking the specs from my amp.. The way I see it is, if I keaveit in bridge mode I get a total of 620watts output (to 2 subs). If I choose stereo it drops to 160w each but adds the ability to independently adjust the phase. I’m thinking thats not a good trade off.. I hat to lose the power by that much.. am I crazy?
Until the mic comes in, experiment. With those room dimensions, I would pick a corner, place one sub 1/3 down the long wall, and 2/3 down the short wall from that same corner. Should get you in the ballpark

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
So I am still waiting on my drivers but the NX3000D just showed up yesterday. I just powered it on for the first time. Is this thing really the best amp option? It’s very light, doesn’t seem very well made and is loud as hell. I now know why there are so many threads on fan replacement. I honestly am worried that I just dropped $400 on an amp and I now need to consider opening it up voiding the warranty and attempting to replace the fan. But I can not live with that noise.

·
Registered
7.1 - 2x V.B.S.S / 3x 1099s / Klipsch Side&Rears
136 Posts
If the amp isn't in an isolated room, you need the fan mod. It's imo, horribly and unacceptably loud with the stock fan.
It's a class D amp, they aren't the heavy old ABs we're used to.. but it's good. They've been recommended, and working for years.
Load the files, hook it up.. and you're off to the races. Mine has been going for a year now (music/movies/&games) and has been great.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
one of these, about a year ago,
at a distance of not over 7 feet, HUGE difference

Noctua NF-A8 ULN, Ultra Quiet Silent Fan, 3-Pin (80mm, Brown)

·
Registered
220 Posts
John Dowty nailed it as did asarose247
I have my amp sitting around 8 feet away and if you were watching a movie with tons of action it was fine but as soon as a quiet moment or credit/intro? Nope...NOOOOPE. I went 1 movie before I ordered a fan and it was so worth it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I am still waiting on my drivers but the NX3000D just showed up yesterday. I just powered it on for the first time. Is this thing really the best amp option? It’s very light, doesn’t seem very well made and is loud as hell. I now know why there are so many threads on fan replacement. I honestly am worried that I just dropped $400 on an amp and I now need to consider opening it up voiding the warranty and attempting to replace the fan. But I can not live with that noise.
I recently bought the NX1000d to power 2 of my VBSS subs. It may be light but even nust having the 1000, it these subs shake the foundation.. (and probably the neighbors too.) Fan Was definitely way too loud.. I replaced the fan with an all but silent one and its perfect. Literally took me 20 mins to replace it, no big deal imo. It may void the warranty but I could put the old one back in and no one would ever know so I’m not concerned about it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ok. Just ordered fan and adapter cable so hoping its plug and play. of course it’s also windows only it looks like for the software, I don’t have a pc. Fantastic. Is it that hard to make a Mac version? Need to try and borrow one from someone. And it uses the old usb connector, probably threw all those out. Sorry, lol. This thing is ticking me off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I called PE, and it’s just a perfect storm of events. COVID, dock worker strikes, Chinese New Year, a typhoon that forced a ship to turn around, etc.
@mtg90 do you think the same enclosure would play well with the PN470 with different EQ? It’s not too much more expensive and only requires a little more power.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,338 ·
If people are interested I could do a seperate DSP design for the Celestion T5867A Buyout, looks like PE has ~350 of them left. It is a 4 Ohm driver so you could only power 4 of them off of a single Inuke/NX3000, that said each driver would now also be able to pull double the power from the amp.

Output between 30-80hz would be roughly equal to the PA460 even with the extra power but around tuning it looks like the Celestion could pull away by almost 6dB, so one of these would be nearly as capable as two PA460's at low frequencies.

I'd only do the 20hz tune as port velocity and cone excursion are too great at 15hz.

At least that's what the sims show. Part of the reason the PA460 works so well is that it's very compliant and the suspension produces little noise even past the rated xmax. If the Celestion suspension locks up near it's rated xmax it may not perform as well or as cleanly at low frequencies. The same questions could be had for the PN470.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If people are interested I could do a seperate DSP design for the Celestion T5867A Buyout, looks like PE has ~350 of them left. It is a 4 Ohm driver so you could only power 4 of them off of a single Inuke/NX3000, that said each driver would now also be able to pull double the power from the amp.

Output between 30-80hz would be roughly equal to the PA460 even with the extra power but around tuning it looks like the Celestion could pull away by almost 6dB, so one of these would be nearly as capable as two PA460's at low frequencies.

I'd only do the 20hz tune as port velocity and cone excursion are too great at 15hz.

At least that's what the sims show. Part of the reason the PA460 works so well is that it's very compliant and the suspension produces little noise even past the rated xmax. If the Celestion suspension locks up near it's rated xmax it may not perform as well or as cleanly at low frequencies. The same questions could be had for the PN470.
This sounds pretty interesting, especially since it's unlikely I'll ever run more than the two I'm building off the 3000D I've got. I had planned to run my slot ported at the 20Hz most of the time and switched to 15 for movies, but now I'm not sure.

3321 - 3340 of 3352 Posts