AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 2840 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Okay someone help me trouble shoot this output issue. For some reason I'm not getting the slam everyone getting even after hearing Eng-399 duel VBSS last summer. I'm getting bass just not the slam so here what i have set. I have Inuke3K set to Dual Mono two on each channel wired in parallel using 20hz presetting. Have the sub out on the AVR set all the way to 350hz( Not sure if this is correct so someone correct me on this) My AVR Pioneer LX801.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
am i reading that correctly?

that's darn good spec'd AVR

but, your LPF is 350?

under specs it says it has an auto sub crossover but I didn't check the manual

where did MCAAC set that sub xo

even with the "usual" LPF ranges
the berry should have the EQ for how you wan t your sound

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
am i reading that correctly?

that's darn good spec'd AVR

but, your LPF is 350?

under specs it says it has an auto sub crossover but I didn't check the manual

where did MCAAC set that sub xo

even with the "usual" LPF ranges
the berry should have the EQ for how you wan t your sound

Not sure what MCAAC had it set too because i changed it manually myself to 350 because that was the highest it would go.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
my limited experience and (lucky) success wrt dialing subs -mostly learned from good folks at AVS

however, I cannot recall ever hearing about an LFP that high . .

the sub is working way beyond a designed range ( I think) and would start to be strongly localized even at 100 hz range

.02, re-run MCAAC, you could report back

not to make things sound worse but - got REW?

is there an official thread for your AVR? probably- so what can you learn there.

HTH

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd turn all eq/processing off in the Pioneer amp and set XO to 100hz then retry it out. If you have extra subs turn them off just in case also. Try different seating/standing positions to see if it's location based then go from there....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Please I need some separate settings for my Inuke 3000dsp. I have Vbss 31hz slot port (the one 10,5" long, as described in post 790 here, from @LTD02 ) on channel A and two boxes of 2 Jbl 1214 each (series/parallel) on channel B.
Settings I read from OP are not helpful, I run the Amp in dual mono and
1) Single non Inuke settings seem to have lessen inputs than
2) Inuke settings that are for Biamp1, while I run it as Dual mono. Moreover, it looks like channel 1 and channel 2 settings are different somehow, at least for the 31hz version, and I do not understand why. Moreover, If I get it right, settings could be ideal for the 8" long port, not for mine longer one.

It took 6 months for me to finish this project, and at the moment I'm still experimenting (issues?).
Little cone movement/spl, it looks.
As first I will unbolt and take even the second pillow out of the cabinet.
Cannot think of start learning modelling smtg only for this finished sw!
Will surely run Rew; as of now I have everything fixed and prepared for it, but only after I have heard some more Spl out of the Sw!
Believe me, this is a long thought post from me. Should not have happened!
Regards
Alessandro
Edit :
Well, started with what @mtg90 suggested: I took even the last pillow out of the cab, and I must say now I have been able to hear the output; the box is about 2,2 meters behind Mlp. The other two sealed boxes with 2 Jbl's each are the (vertical) support for the surround channel speakers (around 105°, 1,2 meters from Mlp).
Surround backs are some 30 cm. behind VBSS, each side 1,2 meters.
I have been able to fix some different Spl for the two Sw types, good output!
Organ music and some baroque filled the room !.
Thanks again to all the contributors in this thread, @mtg90 and @LTD02.

Reactions: LTD02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pulsing/Vibration Problem

Can anyone help diagnose a problem I've been having with my vbss? I noticed that I get a pulsing sort of sound when playing frequencies under 30hz, especially frequencies around 20hz. The frequency itself is the correct tone but there is a sort of pulsing, vibrating, warble kind of sound to accompany the note. Any thoughts? Below is what I have tried. Apart from a new amp, I've replaced all of the parts. I am running the 15 hz dsp config for my amp listed here on this thread.

I replaced the signal cable to my NX3000D (rca to xlr)

Replaced the speakon cable to the sub

Tried both input and output combinations on the amp and both sub outs on the receiver (denon x3400)

I pulled the speaker out of the enclosure and played content with just the exposed speaker

Tried a new PA460 speaker

I boosted the source output, in case the signal isn't strong enough

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks! Yes it happens at all volume levels. What are you thinking?
This is getting off topic from the VBSS design but it might be useful for me to share a story about when I first hooked up my VBSS. I had bad low freq hum that I did not have with my much smaller subs. It turned out that a power cable was sitting too close to my sub cables. I frankly have no idea why but simply separating the two cables by running different routes resolved my issue. Free something to try?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,411
The subwoofer itself shouldn't make that kind of noise, or if it did it would go away at lower volumes.

Do you have another amplifier to test with? Or you could hook the sub up to the left or right channel on your receiver (set mains to full range - disconnect both speakers - run receiver in pure direct stereo mode if available) then play a sine wave and see if it still exhibits the same issue. This would tell you if it's a problem with the NX3000 or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The subwoofer itself shouldn't make that kind of noise, or if it did it would go away at lower volumes.

Do you have another amplifier to test with? Or you could hook the sub up to the left or right channel on your receiver (set mains to full range - disconnect both speakers - run receiver in pure direct stereo mode if available) then play a sine wave and see if it still exhibits the same issue. This would tell you if it's a problem with the NX3000 or not.
Thank you very much, I will try this and update. I can run the receiver in stereo and run a sine wave test.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
So.... just so it's clear to me. Two will run off of a inuke 1000DSP (bridged) no problems? Should I wait for a 3000DSP instead?
Sure. Wired in series to present a 4 ohm load, each driver would get a bit over 300 watts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So.... just so it's clear to me. Two will run off of a inuke 1000DSP (bridged) no problems? Should I wait for a 3000DSP instead?
Sure. Wired in series to present a 4 ohm load, each driver would get a bit over 300 watts.
Series? Wouldn't that make it 16ohms? Parallel makes it 4 ohms...?

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on anything by having some potential headroom with the 3000DSP vs the 1000DSP.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I run two off a 1000DSP and have plenty of headroom in about 1500 cft. You can run many more off of the 3000 though which would give even more headroom.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Series? Wouldn't that make it 16ohms? Parallel makes it 4 ohms...?

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on anything by having some potential headroom with the 3000DSP vs the 1000DSP.

Yes, sorry, mis-typed. In parallel rather.

1401 - 1420 of 2840 Posts