AVS Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 2668 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,482
Does the driver and port placement matter in this build? Can I put the driver down firing on the 20.5x23.5 face? I know the ports need to be extended on the short end for the tuning, but does it matter otherwise?

You can move the driver to any place on the box that it will fit but the ports need to be on one of the two 31.5 x 23.5" faces unless you modify the internals to provide the correct spacing for extension of the effective port length.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Matt @mtg90, my apologies if this was covered already but can you please help with the advantages of the 31hz tune over the 20hz tune or vice versa? I have 4 mini marty's tuned to 18Hz and am 100% movies and can't figure out why one might choose one vbss tune frequency over the other?

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thank you. I also just saw that PE has the B-52 SP-1804 at $75. How would it compare with the 460?

Did anyone ever try a VBSS with this driver? If so, how did it perform compared to the venerable PA-460? If I build a couple VBSS's I'm trying to decide if these are a good (better?) driver for a better price?

How hard would two VBSS's be to integrate into a system with 4 sealed 15" subs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am wondering why this idea has not been employed with the DCS450-4 18" Classic Subwoofer..

As is understand...

Better low end than the pro driver
Lower power handling (negative)
Higher price (negative)

I am looking to understand as I am new to DIY speakers. I am planning on a dedicated room build mid next year and am beginning to thing I am better off DIYing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I giggle every single day I listen to my VBSS again. I especially like the way the floor feels like an ocean wave that can slip into my internal organs. Not to even mention the way the high SPL midbass bolts of energy thump resonating vibrations deep into your lung cavity.

But I think I need to start exercising some self control because the level I start the day giggling at sounds so weak by the time I stop inceasing the volume. I am not restricting my exposure properly. :/

If possible, you really need to hear what the PA460s can do in MTG90s enclosure, when I started browsing this forum I was sure the UM18-22s were the answer to my dreams. Well.. I still have the Ultimax driver new in the box un-opened. I think what I ultimately learned is how much I was missing over the entire low spectrum. The overwhelming SPLs don't hurt either. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had something like this happen to me a few weeks ago. I was watching episodes of a show that had mostly upright bass? for the theme song music, and I noticed at one part that it had a weird flubby / blown out kind of tone. It seemed fine otherwise, so I assumed it was just a ****ty rip and had an audio blip in the file. I noticed the next episode did the same thing (yet the previous two seasons never did it). I isolated it to which sub box it was, and figured maybe the cone was rubbing one of the tinsel leads or the speaker wire inside the box. When I unscrewed the sub to check, I realized that I had positioned the speaker so the wires were out of the way and wrapped around a center support, so that was impossible. I just stuck it back in the box in the same orientation, screwed it back in and it's been fine since. I'm guessing the screws vibrated loose and I had a slight air leak which was making some weird flubby farting bass noises at one specific frequency and volume. I was expecting something to be hitting, but apparently just reseating it and getting it tight was the fix :confused:

It may not be the same with yours, but its worth a shot

So I built two VBSS boxes that are tuned to about 15-16hz. They sound GREAT, and I haven’t even put them through the ropes due to concern about the structure of my home 😉

However I have some odd sounds during only a few soundtracks. During Interstellar right after the exit of the black hole there is a long drawn out bass note. I get a “fluttering buzz” sound right at the end of the bass track. I tried to capture it on video. The only other time I’ve noticed this is during Dunkirk, another Nolan film.

I am using the 15hz profile on the NX3000D, running in dual mono.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApqHiglAkZe-gqoWU_TvclRNQjrNww

Thoughts? Did I mess up my design?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had something like this happen to me a few weeks ago. I was watching episodes of a show that had mostly upright bass? for the theme song music, and I noticed at one part that it had a weird flubby / blown out kind of tone. It seemed fine otherwise, so I assumed it was just a ****ty rip and had an audio blip in the file. I noticed the next episode did the same thing (yet the previous two seasons never did it). I isolated it to which sub box it was, and figured maybe the cone was rubbing one of the tinsel leads or the speaker wire inside the box. When I unscrewed the sub to check, I realized that I had positioned the speaker so the wires were out of the way and wrapped around a center support, so that was impossible. I just stuck it back in the box in the same orientation, screwed it back in and it's been fine since. I'm guessing the screws vibrated loose and I had a slight air leak which was making some weird flubby farting bass noises at one specific frequency and volume. I was expecting something to be hitting, but apparently just reseating it and getting it tight was the fix /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

It may not be the same with yours, but its worth a shot

So I built two VBSS boxes that are tuned to about 15-16hz. They sound GREAT, and I haven’️t even put them through the ropes due to concern about the structure of my home 😉

However I have some odd sounds during only a few soundtracks. During Interstellar right after the exit of the black hole there is a long drawn out bass note. I get a “fluttering buzz” sound right at the end of the bass track. I tried to capture it on video. The only other time I’️ve noticed this is during Dunkirk, another Nolan film.

I am using the 15hz profile on the NX3000D, running in dual mono.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApqHiglAkZe-gqoWU_TvclRNQjrNww

Thoughts? Did I mess up my design?
Thanks for the reply

Yeah I have been trying what mtg suggested and played around with some low hz test videos on YouTube. It seems to be functioning ok around 16-17hz and up, which is what I was aiming for. It is a bit “clicky” until I get to 18-19, and very very clean at >20.

I can’t seem to reproduce the sound with test videos. On Jurassic Park during the iconic “shaking water” scene, I can very clearly hear it on the tail end of the “boom” trex footstep sounds, but only for the first few. I was going nuts so I decided to just actually enjoy content for a bit.

You might be right about it’s just the wiring, I moved them around a bit and I notice it less. I’m taking a mental break and actually enjoying movies for once instead of fiddling non stop hahaha. I’ll come back to it I think. I know Nolan films are bad for LFE clipping, so maybe because I have wayyyyy more subwoofer then I had before I am just noticing it more.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Nice job! Did you stain/paint the plywood or did you veneer them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its actually black ash vinyl wrap(Was trying to match my existing speaker set).

The front is rustoleum black enamel with matte finish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the enamel semi-gloss 3-4 coats and didnt like the look. So did couple coats of rustoleum 2X clear matte on top and it came out how I wanted.

Here is the vinyl used: https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Black-Textured-Air-release-Adhesive/dp/B01LY5FAP4/ref=sr_1_58?crid=3HLT9550OMOCO&keywords=vvivid+vinyl+wrap&qid=1563314262&s=automotive&sprefix=viv,automotive,194&sr=1-58&th=1

Here is a cheaper version that was used on another project: https://www.amazon.com/Decorative-Self-Adhesive-Furniture-Sensation-Surfaces/dp/B078W57WGY?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_17932683011

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't plugged anything in yet, but since hearing that the nx3000d fan is apparently loud, I was wondering about running the amp from the basement. Is there any reason I should not do this? I don't plan on hitting reference levels or pushing it super hard. Do you adjust the amp settings frequently or can I get away with it being in a different room?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I haven't plugged anything in yet, but since hearing that the nx3000d fan is apparently loud, I was wondering about running the amp from the basement. Is there any reason I should not do this? I don't plan on hitting reference levels or pushing it super hard. Do you adjust the amp settings frequently or can I get away with it being in a different room?
Set it up first, spend a few weeks tweaking it, then move it if it's too loud. My NU300DSP is loud as it winds down after a bass heavy scene, but it makes me smile more than want to move or silence it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Set it up first, spend a few weeks tweaking it, then move it if it's too loud. My NU300DSP is loud as it winds down after a bass heavy scene, but it makes me smile more than want to move or silence it.
That's a good idea. I'm about ready to stain and poly my pair of VBSS's. They should be ready to play by the end of next week...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You'll likely be "playing" with it for awhile to get things dialed in just right. Nothing wrong with it being in another room though, except the inconvenience when you need to connect to it via the software.

Fan mod is drop-dead simple on both the nu and nx, just FYI.

ETA: And yes, the stock fan is loud.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You'll likely be "playing" with it for awhile to get things dialed in just right. Nothing wrong with it being in another room though, except the inconvenience when you need to connect to it via the software.

Fan mod is drop-dead simple on both the nu and nx, just FYI.

ETA: And yes, the stock fan is loud.
I thought about the fan mod, but I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty. I'm new to this diy stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was planning on using fiberglass insulation I had available to stuff my two boxes, but I've read that can be unhealthy as the fiberglass can be pushed out through the ports into the air. Is this something I should be concerned with? Would I be better off just getting acoustic foam? If there a big difference between stuffing the box and just lining it? Could I use old carpet for this?

1481 - 1500 of 2668 Posts