AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many are engaged in an endless search for a HT projector which makes

a superb image at a price which is affordable to most of us.

As we speak there is such a projector for sale in the AVS

Classifed Forum. It will make a picture that has no rainbow effect, mosquito effect, screen door effect, poor contrast ratio, undersaturated or inaccurate colors, grayish blacks, hot whites, banding, dead pixels, stuck pixels etc. etc. etc. etc.

It requires an investment of only $2500 OBO and it's going unsold.

Bob Wood

------------------

~~The Sultan of Cheap~~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 04-27-2001).]

· Registered
159 Posts
I agree. I do not know all that much about the care and feeding of large CRT's. But they do seem to have their advantages. I could actually use something like that in my HT. I have control of ambient light etc. I have already ordered a Qscan, which would work nicely with the Barco (I Think).

Any Comments?

· Registered
760 Posts
Hi Bob,

I am not too fond of CRT projectors (well...I would be of a G-90, but that's another story, another chapter, another book, another planet...).

But I must admit $2,500 for this Barco is a super deal. Plus I can vouch for Tim with my eyes closed. He is a great guy! I've got nothing but good things to say about him. I'm sure it won't last long in the classifieds.

Luca

· Registered
4,113 Posts
Bob, Bob, Bob ... have you forgotten why this forum exists ? Why, in fact, digital, single lens projectors exist in the Home Theater arena ? For all their strengths, CRT projectors also have serious faults.

1) BIG -- that 150+lb machine is just no fun to mount

2) Fixed focus -- no zoom, powered or otherwise

3) Short Throw -- can you say 150+lb directly overhead ?

4) Dim -- come on, even the best 9" (G90 or 1209S) will not put more than 400 lumens on the screen, although I admit that with total light control the near-infinite contrast ratio can make this workable.

5) Convergence and tweaking -- a few hundred bucks every six months, with it never absolutely perfect at any time in between ?

I'm lazy, so I'll stop at five. I'm sure others here could easily flesh it out to ten or more.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the G90 each time I saw it. But CRT projectors are no panacea to live with. Digital projectors very much favor the use of an HTPC because they were designed for presentation use, mostly. Because of that, they also favor the flexibility required for a convergence prooduct. My D-ILA projector is a lot more useful to me than a CRT projector would be -- for all the reasons above -- some of which, I readily admit do not bear directly on an HT-only purchase.

I'm glad you posted. I haven't seen a thread in a while that gives us a chance to talk about the pros and cons of digital vs. CRT. It isn't a clean win either way, and people need to consider which one offers what they are looking for.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

[This message has been edited by dreamer (edited 04-27-2001).]

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kirk,

One point. They really truly are not unfriendly to maintain

as many think. My Barco 808s is a joy to fine tune. It has

so many more available picture tweaking adjustments it makes

the digitals (at least the ones I've owned) look like toys in comparison.

And the user can do it all. I honestly don't believe there is

any need for an ISF calibrator as some would have us believe.

In fact my friend who lives here, KennyG, uses an NEC xg135

(like the fine projector Alan just sold in a power buy).

In his search for perfection Kenny recently had his ISF'ed. After he paid for the calibration he wasn't satisfied and went back to doing his own adjusting and got the picture right again.

I will concede that if someone wishes to have a billboard-size

screen or wants to watch movies with the lights on it's not the way to go. Since I have no desire to do either, to me that's a small price to

pay for having a picture that's so beautiful in every respect

with none of the irritating problems I mentioned in my first post.

Right now my G10's on a closet shelf. With all the recent developments

in DILA calibration I'll probably want to take advantage of that

so will dig it out again eventually. But I'm no longer in any

hurry to do so only because my CRT projector pleases me so much. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

------------------

~~The Sultan of Cheap~~

· Registered
760 Posts
Kirk,

There was a running thread over at the BBA Forum (Big & Bulky Armoires) recently, which got a bit nasty, which at times I thought came across more like a classic case for a psychologist session that would deal with something like the inability to achieve a desirable erection or something like that, so it seemed,... (no derogatory intent, please, just a poor attempt at a joke)..., instead of a healthy excercise having to do with having a mind open enough to accept the fact that there does exist the possibility that other equally impressive technologies can achieve equal if not better results than the BBAs achieve, when properly setup and run. I'm sure you've seen the thread I'm talking about. It sure is no fun talking to a wall at times.

You have 5 very valid points, some of which are precisely why I bought digital. I agree that crt technology has a lot of merits, the biggest of which is that it's the only technology to date which can shut off light completely. There's always enthusiasm when discussing the merits and faults of anything related to HT. Point is that, when it comes to discussing these type of things, it often turns south, and it becomes no fun anymore.

To me, in the end, discussing the merits of both crt and digital technologies is akin to asking yourself which supercar is better between a Ferrari Modena 360 and a Porsche Carrera GT3. Or asking yourself who is prettier among two gorgeous ladies. Or whose painting you think is better between a Matisse or a Picasso. There is just no right or wrong answer. It's just a matter of taste and what appeals to you most personally.

Luca

· Banned
17,606 Posts
Or how about Vermeer single handedly against all of the great Dutch Masters.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vermeer/

Vermeer defined the visual etiquette by which the modern videophile should be inspired. No other painter manipulates light so as to enhance the mood, intimacy, and richness of the subject. in his paintings. By the way there is a great Vermeer exibit in N.Y. right now. If you are a calibrator, or interested in achieving good images I suggest you go take a look at those paintings. You may learn a thing or two.

[This message has been edited by CINERAMAX (edited 04-27-2001).]

· Registered
4,113 Posts
Luca,

I hope you didn't take my post as snide or sarcastic. I'm not a CRT basher by any means.

But it has been about a year since I discovered AVSForum. When I first found this place, I was sure I was shopping for a CRT projector. In fact, there were a couple of used Sony 1292Q's and Barco 1209s machines for sale in the classifieds. I liked both a lot, although the Sony was loud even compared to D-ILA projectors. It was only when I realized that my room could not accommodate the short throw that I started paying attention to the digital projectors. With memories of bad LCD projectors in my head, I was almost ready to give up the whole FP idea. Then I was able to verify at InfoComm that the D-ILA hype wasn't just hype. I've been pretty happy ever since. I sometimes still wish for that smoothness that the D-ILA still can't quite match, but overall the trade-offs have been worth it.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

· Registered
760 Posts
Kirk,

I respect your opinion highly, as I do of all other members in this great place. After all, was it not Clint Eastwood that once said "Opinions are like balls: to each their own!?" I never meant to be harsh, just venting my dissapointment over the fact that sometimes the BBA guys over there seem to not want to consider anything else out there period, that can match the technology they believe in. I mean, just look at what Dean McManis always has to got through to make his point just be *listened* over there with the BBA guys! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I admit I too would be hard pressed with the isssue and would be trying to justify the expensive purchase of my G-90 with all my might! And again, that's fine with me. But they should at least have an open mind and accept that, as you say, Dila tech is not just smoke anymore. And for the price, it is just unbeatable performance-per-cost wise!

And I share in your enthusiasm when you speak of that smoothness that crt can display. I too am in awe every time I get a chance to see the amazing liquidity of the picture of a G-90. I know what you mean when you say that. It's something that digital tech still lacks in.

Cheers!

Luca

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.