AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing some major house cleaning and tossing of collect crap I no longer need and well I've made it over to my rack of VHS tapes in the bed room. So I ask you all what have you done with your old VHS tapes?? Those I have DVD version I know I should toss but those with out a little help is needed. Plus I could use those old tapes to tape over with shows like BSG (no DVR yet) or something. Or should they just be toss in the compactor since VHS looks like crap on DLP anyway??

It's about 120 movies, X-files S4-S8, Ren and Stimpy S1-S2, and the entire Star Trek: TNG along with The OJ Verdict, the final EP of Cheers and other misc stuff.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I'd say keep the ones not on dvd yet that you like.

Other wise ebay them. No reson to throw them if you can get a few bucks. Or if you don't prefer ebay sell them at a pawn shop or garage sale. Their are still many pepole who use VHS.

I my self keept the dozen or so VHS i had that arnt on dvd and sold the rest at a garage sale for 50 cents to a dollar. They all sold to

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well if there are some tapes you really want to keep you can clean up the signal with avisynth routines and save it on a DVD. Avoid MPEG compression, the VHS shimmering is a drag on MPEG.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I brought my old VHS tapes to work, piled them up, put a sign on them:

VHS Tapes - $1

Sold them all. :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman
I brought my old VHS tapes to work, piled them up, put a sign on them:

VHS Tapes - $1

Sold them all. :)
Humm that sounds like a plan, then if they don't sell there's something to watch while on break.

:)

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have sold, donated and thrown away all but a small pile of VHS tapes, maybe 20 are left from hundreds. When you KNOW you aren't going to watch them anymore thers no reason to keep them....they're big, bulky and take up precious living space. The ones I cant get on DVD I dubbed from tape to disc and they'll have to do me until a DVD is available.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I gave 2/3 of my collection (over 200 VHS titles) to one of my uncle's who has no DVD player and has no plans of buying one.

The remainig 1/3 are movies that I have not yet replaced on DVD. Everytime I replace one of those VHS titles by buying it on DVD, I give the VHS copy to my uncle.

I'll always have a few VHS titles though, those that I won't give away... Like the "original versions of "Star Wars" (Ep. 4, 5 & 6) and the 97 versions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.