AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long been a fan of Roger Moore's 1790 thriller, THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF. It's dated and somewhat terse, but still interesting and original. If I could remake any film, this is the one I'd choose. I am excited about seeing the 16X9 transfer and listening to Roger Moore's commentary.

I am also a big fan of THE VIKINGS and am thrilled MGM put it on a duel layer. No pan & scam crap taking up an entire layer here. Simply no pan & scam! Too bad the original 6 track soundtrack was lost decades ago. :(

Now if I can find the time to watch these.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I got the Vikings a couple of weeks ago and I was just stunned at how incredible the video was! It was AS GOOD as a large number of new films coming out on DVD! The audio was nothing to get excited about but speech was clear and very little distortion.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Just watched the commentary from the "Vikings" and my player froze up at the 21 min. mark. Returned it and got a new one...hopefully it works. :confused:

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. TMWHH is outstanding. I was stunned by the picture quality. This film cost just 300,000 (pounds, not dollars, and that's 1970 money) and yet it looks pristine. Anchor Bay did one hell of a fine job with this release.

oore's commentary isn't all that great, but it is also worth listening to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I thought Vikings was a great movie. I noticed its coming to SHOWHD in June so maybe Ill wait on getting the DVD.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably an upconvert at best. Most likely going to be 4:3. :(

HDNET needs to do a 24 hours old movies in HD channel. Films like THE VIKINGS and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA would be killer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Matt,

Yes it seems like all the older movies on SHOWHD are 4x3. I expect it to be a upconvert but if its 4x3 then ill definately go buy the DVD.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Don't you all get jealous I picked up a used copy at amazon $8.39 it plays like new. DVD discs are not burned by a laser, just read by it. The Vikings seen by me in the movie theatre in 1958 at age 11 was thrilling to say the least. Seeing it in OAR on a line doubled F-38310 was also thrilling. Some movies it doesn't matter that the sound is 5.1, I am just happy the disc came out.:)

O/T If this movie is true it would be the Vikings who first used a magnetic compass to navigate while at sea.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Watched THE VIKINGS last night. If MGM would dedicated two layers to the widescreen transfer for all releases, we'd have gems like this every time, instead of the compromised, artifact ridden SE's that they are doing for numerous titles (Usual Suspects).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.